• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Getting into pcp, need to decide on compressor

My thoughts exactly, bought one of those Yong Heng type compressors, and to be honest if you want to fill a scuba tank in the 6-10 liter range you are wasting your time.

It pumps so slowly that if you have the smallest of leaks in the line it just never fills the tank. I bought a bigger fishpond pump and the bigger filter....I wish I rather spent my money on some more 300 bar cylinders and have them filled at a scuba shop. It is not expensive and you get clean dry air, and best of all you don't have to hassle with that crappy compressor.

I was thinking 4L max at 300bar ..
Back of the napkin calculation tells me that gives about 10 refills of a 250cc cylinder before dropping below 200 and have to top up again.

Doable?

biohazardman : I've got these two available, I guess you'd recommend the latter one?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Sfeomi-Compressor-Pressure-Self-Shut-Off-Electric/dp/B083NNG1RJ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Yong+Heng&qid=1610200025&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Electric-Compressor-Pressure-Airgun-Scuba/dp/B07PM2XFGC/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Yong+Heng&qid=1610200025&sr=8-5

I've actually been looking at these before, but since I can only get them from ebay de AND they are shipped from China I computed the odds of ending up with a dud to be too big. But hey, if they come recommended... Plus this one actually fills scuba tanks.
It doesnt have to be scuba tanks but additional bottles I can take with me is a must.

AND THANKS EVERYBODY for the awesome replies. Love it!!

Yes the latter one looks to be correct.

The problem I have with the oil and water compressors is the oily smell I read about. Not to mention the discharge from airguns that will stink of oil.

I am told that charcoal filters and premium compressor oil will help, I just don’t want to spend a grand and a half or gawd forbid 4 or 5 grand, treat them to charcoal filters and premium oil and still find myself running for a inhaler as I have asthma. I don’t want to open windows to shoot and then to fill my gun.

My exShoeboxes spoiled me and I recently bought a little Spark compressor, none of them stink and that says a lot as the Spark is a Hassan out of China, now that is enough to raise a stink, but it does not, and it is well traveled to boot.

I live in a rather new house that I intend to sell and use the funds to build a house on the other side of the world. It would work out better if my realtor and potential buyer of my house didn’t get gassed from the snell of compressor oil.

I have had three or four Shoebox compressors and many tanks over the years, I loved them and the independence they offered but it is looking more and more like I will finish out my airgun hobby with a disposable compressor of some sort and generation. The Spark will be lucky to last a year, the jury is out on the other new ones from the Traveler 2 to compressors like the AV4500 as they has not been around that long.

But let's face it, reading about troubles with quality 5 grand compressors here on this forum that need new cylinders, pistons, crankshafts and connecting rods at some point in their lives, leads me to the realization that at 71 years of age, 3 or 5 years from now I don’t want to be soiling my trousers, a cardboard box and myself trying to package, transport and ship 85 lbs of leaking Chinese junk from Oregon to a location on the east coast.

However, boxing up 30 to 44 lbs of oil less Chinese junk is doable, or even shipping 30 to 44 lbs of compressor in a balik bayan box to my new home would work also.

If I can buy 2 or 3 compresors, it maybe cheaper than one oil and water smelly compressor. If I am still pestering my young and beautiful wife 10 years from now and If I am lucky enough It will involve buying 2 Nonad2 type compressors, then two or three more generations of disposbles.

Think about it, when they die they don’t smell and you only need to dig a small shallow hole to bury them.

Regards,

Roachcreek

A lot of good pros and cons here. 10 minutes ago I was set on buying a YH, now has me second guessing.

The advantage of a YH is you can just throw them in the bin every time they break and by the time you have bought 6 you will be about where you would be with changing a high end compressor.

The downside IMO is HPA and "cheap" are dangerous when combined!

Roachcreek, are you heading to the PI? There are a lot of scuba shops there and filling is possible to 4500psi. Also do not forget there are some locally made PCPs that are quite decent like Armscor (same manufacturer that sells firearms here in the US) , JBC, and Filarms (no longer sold, but available used).

Yes, your $ will go a long2x way in the PI 😁

As for scuba shops filling to 4500PSI in my native country, I have yet to find one.

Always had my tank filled to a maximum of 3200PSI, as that is what their compressors are only capable of---or so they say, lol!

It is cheap though; I had a "suki" who would charge me a mere P100/$2.00 per tank load ☝️

Oh, I have a close friend in Davao City (Mindanao) who manufactures PCP's every now and then, btw:

https://cprguntech.com/

No, it is not a backyard machine shop but a rather big one with CNC machinery, so they are more than capable but pricey 😁

The owner, yclept Mr. Cris Reyes, is the secretary of DARSA, the local airgun club, which I was supposed to be made president of, but I had to leave for the US of A years ago.

Ingat ka lagi, Mr. Roach Creek 
beer.1610295440.gif

I honestly don't understand why anyone would recommend the YH's they're poop, unreliable and they need external cooling, not portable neither. There's just way better compressors out there that are 100x more reliable and don't need external cooling, that are only like $50-100 more.

I’m not disputing that this is correct but can you link at least one in that price range that has the capacity to fill more than just a small tank? I also don’t like the YH option, but I don’t see anything under $1000 without oil/water cooling that can fill an SCBA size tank except the old Shoebox. 

It seems, you could fill 0.5 bottles of 580cc size airgun at 4500psi into 3625psi max fill and refill at 2000psi. 

The 4.5L fill capacity compressor for one session before cool down seems nice. I would be interested, but it's water/oil also.

I hope my calculations are correct for the 1.5L compressor, would welcome a doublecheck.

http://calc.sikes.us/2/

Update, got the sortie and a handpump to start out with... I will have to dig into the compressor and bottles again later, but for now, this is what I am doing for entry.

Damn its a fun little gun, with the stock and carbine like length it has a tactical feel to it... I've put a red dot on it and I can shoot the * off a fly with the thing...

One little issue though. Noise. Its not quite backyard friendly, will have to get into some suppression, maybe make a can my self.

Thanks everyone :).

Many on this forum have posted about lifespan and reliable service from Yong Heng compressors extending beyond 2 years. I'm one of those. Others have had failure of that same compressor very quickly. I've heard no reports of anything "safety" related involving the Yong Heng.

IMO, buy the best quality compressor you can afford in terms of your budget from the beginning. The best? I would say something in the class of Bauer. The best commonly discussed for air gun use? I would say Alkin or Coltri MCH6. MANY PEOPLE have noted excellent service from Omega compressors, from the newer Hill compressors, from a whole bunch of types just below the Hill price range, and from the Yong Heng near the bottom in terms of cost. But, some people will say that some of those specifc compressors (which have been reported by many shooters to have served THEIR NEEDS just fine) aren't worth considering. It can certainly be a hard topic to wade through. Depends on whose OPINION you want to follow. Good luck in finding something that works for YOU!