• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Getting into pcp, need to decide on compressor

Been shooting air in the back yard for ages .177 / 4.5mm and now that pcp semi auto is affordable it feels like its time.

I've settled on the Hatsan Sortie, with a stock and a little optics it looks to fit the carbine space just fine. Ill get something else for range later.

Anyway, dont want to blow a gasket with the handpumps, plus, for target practise you'd first have to pump the gun and then wait 10 minutes for your pulse to come down. So. Compressor and probably a tank.

Anyway, I got a few options for compressors (the sortie is 200bar, but I'll go 300 later).

1. Air Venturi EC-3000 Compressor by Hill
This bad boy fills 4 liter tanks and tops up larger bottles as well. It looks like top gear.

oo6kn49pnmf8tmufby.png
Stinger Transportable PCP/HPA compressor

You dont have to worry about oil / cooling liquids on this one but specs on it says 20 minutes from 0 to 0.5L

3. "Borner" PCP/HPA compressor 

Much like nr.2 specs says this is certified to go to around 0.6L

The EC-3000 is over 50% more expensive than 2 and 3 .. but hey if its quality, Ill shell it out.

Your thoughts on compressors? :)

The HILLs is not really rated to fill SCBA bottles, even 4L! and it's not a portable compressor in reality!

The NOMAD II is 300 bar rated and by far the most versatile if you are filling guns, its also the most portable and comes with a carry bag, it will fill a 480cc carbon bottle on a gun in 5 minutes.

The TRAILCHARGER (TYPE OR COPY) is let down massively IMO by the secondary unit you need to use with it plus it's more expensive.

Consider the UMAREX unit that has just been released and will hit the shops in the USA pretty soon I suspect.

Thanks man, I am guessing it is this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H08pxNIZX0A

I figured the Hill was not portable, thats why I was excited that they stated it could be used to fill small 4L bottles, then I could take a couple of those with me when it was time.
I've actually been eyeballing the NOMAD compressor as well, only thing is its not available close by, so theres that. I can see its about the same price as the HILL.

Ill look out for the warranty :).

Thanks.

The Hill states right in it's description it shuts off automatically so it can cool down. So that means it overheats all the time and must shut down to keep from damaging itself.

Oil-less waterless compressor = disposable compressor. If you are just an occasional user, these compressors may be ok for you, however they will not last long under the prolonged usage required to fill or even top off a tank and they say as much in their manuals. Filling guns on the other hand is what they are meant for and they do a nice job of it for their limited lifetimes. The fact that these compressors have such an extremely limited duty cycle says it all though. They can’t handle the job that most require. Then there is the recommended rebuild at 20 hours and if you baby them they may last that long. Still many will runoff of 12V so you can fill from your car where 120-220V is not available. This is a big deal for those who don’t have tanks. So why don’t you have a tank?

Want something proven to last and at even a lower cost? Get a Yong Heng which has both oil and water so the metal first stage piston rings get oiled, like on your car they need it, and the head which has composite rings on the second stage piston gets cooled better by water, it needs it, both are very good things.

These YH units are very inexpensive, easy to maintain and replacement parts are readily available at ridiculously low prices. There are loads of repair videos available on YouTube for them. So it’s hard to beat the Yong Heng for inexpensive fills for your favorite gun.

The Yong Heng is the least expensive compressor worth having and at $299 with free shipping it is a bargain mine cost more a couple of years back when I bought it. You do NOT want the "Simple" version which is less expensive, because it DOES NOT have a water separator. You DO NOT want the "Auto Shutoff unit as it shuts off somewhere near 2900- 3000psi. ONLY the, "Set Pressure" and "Hardcopy/Hardcover" units are worth having.

They are about the best compressor you can buy for under $1000

So why don’t you have one?

The only good reason would be cuz you have something much better like an Alkin or similar.

But let’s not forget the YH units are inexpensive and Chinese so expect a few QC problems with them as with many of the more expensive compressors out there as they are just rebadged Chinese units.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YONG-HENG-30MPa-4500PSI-Air-Compressor-Elec-New-Auto-Pump-High-Pressure-Machine/284088638631?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130149%26meid%3D5eac562d406143ffabfd59f64072c840%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D393030229072%26itm%3D284088638631%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLCvipPairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

Hi, don't know much about high or low end compressors. I bought a Hatsan Spark with the battery pack, under $350 from Hatsan when they had their package deal. 

I had to return it, they sent me a new one, I've had it over a year with no issues. It fills my Flash n Boss with ease, I even filled my empty scuba tank. It took me about a week, but I was only running it 30-45min. If you don't want to break the bank or on a budget , I recommend the Spark. Keep shooting n good luck in your venture with compressors.

Jon86

I have the Umerax compressor testing it for a dealer. I have only filled my Leshiy 2 and Maverick compact about 4 times . I have been useing the Nomad 2 up to now. All I can say bad about the Umerax is that it is louder and slower than the Nomad. For instance it took 10 minutes to fill my 180 cc bottle on my Leishy from 160 bar to 300 bar, then another 10 + minutes before the high speed fan shut off so the total time was 20 minutes before you could shut off the unit. I usually leave my Nomad fan run another 3 to five minutes after a topping off of my Airguns bottle but it is faster filling. I do like the digital controls and the automatic high speed fan to keep it cool and the fact it is oilless and portable and can run on 12 volt. 

biohazardman : I've got these two available, I guess you'd recommend the latter one?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Sfeomi-Compressor-Pressure-Self-Shut-Off-Electric/dp/B083NNG1RJ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Yong+Heng&qid=1610200025&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Electric-Compressor-Pressure-Airgun-Scuba/dp/B07PM2XFGC/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Yong+Heng&qid=1610200025&sr=8-5

I've actually been looking at these before, but since I can only get them from ebay de AND they are shipped from China I computed the odds of ending up with a dud to be too big. But hey, if they come recommended... Plus this one actually fills scuba tanks.
It doesnt have to be scuba tanks but additional bottles I can take with me is a must.

AND THANKS EVERYBODY for the awesome replies. Love it!!

Take a look at the Omega Air Charger about $1000. If you’ve got deeper pockets maybe the Omega Supercharger or Turbo charger. 

I have a Yong Heng that worked pretty good for about 2 years. Only used it to top off my 88 cf tank. One day the high pressure piston came apart. Did a lot of searching on the web and found a couple reviews that really helped. Best information I found was a couple of YouTube reviews by Southerngunner. His 3 year review of the Omega Air Charger Was quite thorough . Another was by Matt Dubber talking about some new equipment he had received. I believe he actually had to pay for his own compressor at the time. 

I may still repair my Yong Heng. But I’d give it away to someone as is if they came to get it. I’ve had the Omega Air Charge for about 2 years now and I’m quite happy with it. Only use it to top off my 88 cf tank. 

John

I use this https://www.amazon.com/GX-Portable-Compressor-Oil-Free-Paintball/dp/B07XYRS15R/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=gx+cs2&qid=1610223408&sr=8-1

$380

Not had an issue with it so far (3 months, used it maybe 30+ times), comes with a water filter, and doesn't require any oil or water to cool it. They say you should service it every 50 hours though. Takes about 10mins to fill from around 130bar to 250. Only negative is that it doesn't have an auto shut-off, its more expensive brother does (CS3), i think thats $200 extra.

BTW, its very unusal to fill a bottle from 0-250, as you would normally start toping up when it hits about 130bar, thats the pressure when the FPS in my gun drops too low. So whilst, 0-250 may take 20mins, your normally only doing 130-250, which is about 10mins.

IMG_20210106_164733.1610223548.jpg
IMG_20210106_165032.1610223548.jpg

Take a look at the Omega Air Charger about $1000. If you’ve got deeper pockets maybe the Omega Supercharger or Turbo charger. 

I have a Yong Heng that worked pretty good for about 2 years. Only used it to top off my 88 cf tank. One day the high pressure piston came apart. Did a lot of searching on the web and found a couple reviews that really helped. Best information I found was a couple of YouTube reviews by Southerngunner. His 3 year review of the Omega Air Charger Was quite thorough . Another was by Matt Dubber talking about some new equipment he had received. I believe he actually had to pay for his own compressor at the time. 

I may still repair my Yong Heng. But I’d give it away to someone as is if they came to get it. I’ve had the Omega Air Charge for about 2 years now and I’m quite happy with it. Only use it to top off my 88 cf tank. 

John

My Omega super charger is out of order and no spare parts are available.

I got tired of repairing and waiting and spending in maintenance. At the end is better that the problem of maintenance of the compressor is of the owner of the squba shop.

I own two big, one medium and two small tanks.

I go to the squba shop once a week to refill the big tank that I use to fill my rifles. 

I have the other big tank to refill the medium and the small ones for hunting traveling.

Having in the SUV a tank for hunting traveling also allows you to have an smaller air cilinder in the rifle.

My thoughts exactly, bought one of those Yong Heng type compressors, and to be honest if you want to fill a scuba tank in the 6-10 liter range you are wasting your time.

It pumps so slowly that if you have the smallest of leaks in the line it just never fills the tank. I bought a bigger fishpond pump and the bigger filter....I wish I rather spent my money on some more 300 bar cylinders and have them filled at a scuba shop. It is not expensive and you get clean dry air, and best of all you don't have to hassle with that crappy compressor.

I use this https://www.amazon.com/GX-Portable-Compressor-Oil-Free-Paintball/dp/B07XYRS15R/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=gx+cs2&qid=1610223408&sr=8-1

$380

Not had an issue with it so far (3 months, used it maybe 30+ times), comes with a water filter, and doesn't require any oil or water to cool it. They say you should service it every 50 hours though. Takes about 10mins to fill from around 130bar to 250. Only negative is that it doesn't have an auto shut-off, its more expensive brother does (CS3), i think thats $200 extra.

BTW, its very unusal to fill a bottle from 0-250, as you would normally start toping up when it hits about 130bar, thats the pressure when the FPS in my gun drops too low. So whilst, 0-250 may take 20mins, your normally only doing 130-250, which is about 10mins.

IMG_20210106_164733.1610223548.jpg
IMG_20210106_165032.1610223548.jpg

Just looked up your compressor, its from here :

Guanyunjie NO.2 Pingdi street,Longgang District
Shenzhen
Guangdong
CN

And the Yong is from

FU QUAN XIN CUN BEI QU 17 HAO A311
SHEN ZHEN
GUANGDONGSHENG
CN

Without having a phd i Chinese geographics from the looks of it that looks pretty close? Maybe the same manufactor? Anyway, I've read that as compressors go you should always go with the with oil and water for longevity..