• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Getting into PCP and some Marauder questions

tiptop

Nov 12, 2016
OH
I have some experience with springers, SSP, and gas piston guns but I'm thinking about getting my first PCP airgun. I don't want to spend huge bucks right away until I figure out if this is something I want to devote more time to. But I've done enough reading to decide that a big CF tank (Great White) is the way to go because it's the most efficient in time, money, trips to fill and I'm not up for hours of pumping. If I end up with a gun down the road that requires higher pressures, it will be best for that too. And finally, if I decide it's not for me I should be able to sell it without losing too much. That part of PCP to me is kind of a no-brainer but the first PCP gun is harder. I'm considering a .22 M-rod 2nd gen. to keep the cost down, to learn PCP on, there's a big aftermarket for mods, a lot of guys seem to like them, and they are (or can be made to be) pretty accurate for the price. I have a couple questions about the M-rod that I'd like to some opinions on. First, Joe Brancato (airtankssforsale.com) offers a free hammer de-bounce device installed with the purchase of any M-rod from him. He claims 50% more shots per fill as well as quieter performance. Is this legit? Is this device available from other sources? Is it easily installed? I've also done some reading about regulators and it seems like it would be a good idea to have one on the M-rod to give a more consistent pressure which seems like a really good idea for flattening out the range of fps. Do you feel that a regulator is helpful on this gun? Are they adjustable for different pressure levels? Which one? Easily installed? Lots of questions, thanks for any guidance.

Yes regulators will help your accuracy a lot! I like th huma regulator I have but theres more then a couple to choose from and two different types. And yes they are adjustable. As for installation, its not bad at all but you'll want to warch some YouTube vids on it. You will also want a chronograph if you don't already have one. As for mods the sky is the limit on the Mrods, and thats why I've fallen in love with them.

When the Maximus was coming out I ordered one and a hill pump. Since the Maximus was not coming out for a few weeks I also ordered a Mrod .22(this was about 6 months or so ago). The first gen1 .22 are said to have had barrel problems but the gen2 of mine at 50 yards is I all expect it too be. So the hill pump and the Mrod came in about a week and I pumped up the Mrod one time. And was on the phone to Joe Brancato to order the great white with all the extras. Seems like it ended up around $900. I am happy with my mrod being stock and not planning on adding anything to increase shot count. I understand the gen2 come from Crosman with hammer de-bounce? And I don't think a regulator would make my rifle more accurate just more consistent it would just make it easier to shoot a shot string that stayed consistent across the string. 

So I should have left off the pump but it does give me back up I guess? And my deer feeder is at 50 yards from my deck and the top of a tree beside it is at 58 yards. There has been a number of starlings that didn't care for the mrod. My thinking on the great white was about the same as your thinking. It will be good for many future air guns. And I expect to pick up a wildcat and a streamline in the next few months.

Good idea on the air tank! Personally I wouldn't get a .22 as there are still.alot of Gen 2 barrel problems and if you got.a bad one then that's $210 for an upgraded barrel. Personally would get a .25 but wouldn't get it with the HDD. There's a new thing coming out that is working even better than the SSG with efficiency's in 2.0+ and will be about half price to boot. Should be available in the next month. I've had some very very nice rifles however all have left except my Mrods just can't get enough of them!

"There’s a new thing coming out that is working even better than the SSG with efficiency’s in 2.0+ and will be about half price to boot. Should be available in the next month."

Could you give more details on what the "new thing" is? And whatever it is, would it be a substitute for HDD? And forgive the noobie question but what is an SSG? And could you explain efficiency? Thanks!

Tiptop,
I have a Gen 2 Marauder in 25 which provides accuracy on a par with my 25 cal. Airwolf and Cricket. I am not a tinkerer so 
all my rifles are in factory stock configuration. For the price, the Maruder 25 is hard to beat. With JSB 25 gr. pellets I obtain 16 shots at ca. 870 fps with a 10-15 fps ES, the trigger is quite manageable, and the accuracy at 100 yards almost equals that of the Airwolf and Cricket. 

The biggest mistake I made when iI ventured more seriously into airguns was to buy a hand pump. Purchase a big 4500 psi tank and enjoy the convenience rather than the workout.

tiptop"There’s a new thing coming out that is working even better than the SSG with efficiency’s in 2.0+ and will be about half price to boot. Should be available in the next month."

Could you give more details on what the "new thing" is? And whatever it is, would it be a substitute for HDD? And forgive the noobie question but what is an SSG? And could you explain efficiency? Thanks!

The new thing is called the TSS "Twin spring system" uses only 2 springs not rod or anything extra. The SSG is Spring Stop Guide that hit big a year ago created by Bob Sterne/rsterne on the GTA. Increased shot counts and made guns quieter and more efficient. Efficiency is basically it takes whatever amount of air to make the power/shots. Efficiency in the 2.0 was only done once by rsterne himself on a 2240 pistol. With the TSS have hit 2.0+ mark multiple times with a .25 Mrod which is extremely impressive. Most really good PCPs are in the 1.25-1.5 range I believe. Yes the TSS is essentially the same thing as HDD just way better so HDD wouldn't be needed

As alluded to above, it won't take you very long to realize that a hand pump is one heck of a lot of work. But there's always an issue whatever you do. 

If you buy a tank, you need someway to fill it back up. Not all of us have a dive shop down the street, or one that is open when you need it! Fortunately, there are several companies who make high pressure boosters, like the Shoebox and the Altaros. They require a good-quality shop compressor, especially the Altaros as it uses an air motor, not an electric one. You'll still need a portable tank, but at least you can fill it on your time!

But if you're like the rest of us, sooner or later you'll also realize that you're shooting more and more, and yes.... more! And one PCP is never enough! If this happens to you, I have a suggestion—buy a self-contained, high pressure, compressor like the Omega or Bauer. A lot of money to be sure, but convenience always costs more than necessity!

Dairyboy - Thanks much for the explanation! I assume the TSS will be an aftermarket mod, not stock on the M-rod? Do you have a link for it?

Alan - Fortunately for me, I have a couple good 4500psi filling options within easy driving distance here in central OH which should work fine for me. Maybe a compressor could be in the future for me, but I don't even want to think about that now. 

Tiptop,
​To answer one element of your question about regulators. A regulator gives a longer string of shots which also have a very similar velocity. Velocity matters for vertical strike point. With the 25 cal Marauder, which is tuned for around 40 FPE; a 16 FPS pellet speed variation represents a vertical strike difference of 1 inch at 100 yards. The difference is about a quarter inch 50 yards and is virtually non-existent at 25 yards.

addertooth - It seems like every question and answer spawns 3 more questions. When you say fully built, what are you including besides a regulator (assuming a reg. is included)?

And to add more fuel to the fire, there seems to be a lot of love for the .25 M-rod. I understand that it has a different and maybe better barrel, it's better for larger game and it's less affected by wind, but I think I want to stay at .22 caliber. The biggest animal I would shoot would be an occasional squirrel and the furthest distance for either hunting or target shooting would be 50 yds but realistically, most of the time 25 yds would be closer to max.. .22 pellets are less expensive and more readily available and shot count is significantly higher. Are there other reasons why .25 might be better?