Getting High

As long as you are a safe driver, both you and your rifle should arrive safely.

Seriously, it’s only a few PSI difference, so no problem. Going from cold temps to warm temps can be more of an issue. But as long as you fill your bottles to the recommended pressure, at near room temperature, they have a factor of safety that is high enough to survive those slight over-pressure conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: woogie_man
You could put your tank/airguns into a perfect vacuum and would be no issue regarding pressure. Pressure changes due to temperature changes are more significant as some have noted. As an example I have a 88 cu ft CF SCBA tank that was filled to approx 3,800 PSI when I put it my car to go to my gun club. The tank was at 68 degrees in my home. The tank was in the trunk of my car on a 90 degree day for about 2 hours. When I checked the pressure at the gun club it was up to 4,100 PSI. After experiencing this I now have my tanks filled only to 4,200-4,300 PSI during summer months to allow for the temp expansion to keep everything under 4,500 PSI. Cooler months I go full 4,500 PSI fills.

I would not be concerned about temperatures (within reason). CF tanks are hydro tested at 7,500 PSI (I believe..). If a PCP gun reservoir goes a little above its max pressure I would not be too concerned. For liability reasons the airgun HPA reservoirs have a good safety margin. A 3,000 PSI gun is not going to explode at 3,200 PSI. Potentially you might have a valve issue but that's all I would expect. Regards