Getting a FX for a first PCP?

Coming from an FX fan I would NOT recommend an FX for a first PCP. For me there was a steep learning curve going from an Airforce to an FX. I was able to over come it with some help from a friend but still difficult for me. Now a few years later I am happily playing with all FX Airguns and really enjoying them. I have been very happy with AGT or Taipan products for the last year. I would have been more happy in the beginning of my trials with tuning if I would have gone this route I think for sure. Take the time to get to know what tuning is first and all the variables before jumping in to FX or similar platforms, it will increase your enjoyment factor from the start and save you repair and shipping costs. But again, many factor here. Are you mechanically inclined? Is this really your first airgun of any type? Do you have powder experience that will increase your overall gun performance knowledge? Regardless of opinion, many good ways to go and the people here will give you good advice.
I can see there is a lot to learn but im the type of guy that strives on that kind of ocd lol. I have shot powders guns my whole life since I could walk 32 years avid hunter and long distance shooter. I picked up my old crossman vantage break barrel I only ever shot once in the winter and had fun in the backyard last week chasing those pesky ringed doves brought back memories of the old BB gun days when I was young. Needless to say I think im hooked and go all in when I do. I sure appreciate everyones responses happy I found this forum awesome people.

Reactions: Sp8ctre
I am still relatively new to this game. Asking for info, not looking for an argument. What is being limited by the bull pup design. It is all I have ever owned so wondering what I might be missing. The answer may be helpful to the OP as well.
A well designed bull-pup, I see no limiting factor.
A poorly designed bull-pup has almost as many limiting factors as a poorly designed standard rifle.
Thats just my opinion though.

Last edited:
I can see there is a lot to learn but im the type of guy that strives on that kind of ocd lol. I have shot powders guns my whole life since I could walk 32 years avid hunter and long distance shooter. I picked up my old crossman vantage break barrel I only ever shot once in the winter and had fun in the backyard last week chasing those pesky ringed doves brought back memories of the old BB gun days when I was young. Needless to say I think im hooked and go all in when I do. I sure appreciate everyones responses happy I found this forum awesome people.
I would say you would most likely do just fine with FX with this info. The hurdle some have with airguns is the understanding of the relationship between the regulator pressure, hammer weight, spring type and tension, barrel length, barrel twist rate and projectile weight. But with your good understanding of those relationships in the powder world it can easily be adjusted in your head for airguns, same concept really, just a little exaggerated.

Reactions: paydroni
I am still relatively new to this game. Asking for info, not looking for an argument. What is being limited by the bull pup design. It is all I have ever owned so wondering what I might be missing. The answer may be helpful to the OP as well.
BullPups by design will force the scope higher over the barrel then a rifle/carbine design,. in my opinion that is not optimal hunting on the ground in farely thich vegetation where a shot needs to be taken as close as single digit yardage,
the higher the scope the bigger the difference on POI when shooting at distances that are not your zero and the bfurther away you go from your zero the more it magnifies.

That is the reason that I prefer a rifle or carbine when hunting thick vegetation on the ground rather then a BullPup, If you hunting from a stand where the target will be at a known distance then a Pup is just as good as any.

BullPups by design will force the scope higher over the barrel then a rifle/carbine design,. in my opinion that is not optimal hunting on the ground in farely thich vegetation where a shot needs to be taken as close as single digit yardage,
the higher the scope the bigger the difference on POI when shooting at distances that are not your zero and the bfurther away you go from your zero the more it magnifies.

That is the reason that I prefer a rifle or carbine when hunting thick vegetation on the ground rather then a BullPup, If you hunting from a stand where the target will be at a known distance then a Pup is just as good as any.
I am no expert, bit I don't see how a BullPup would force the scope to be mounted higher. In fact I see it the other way around.
Most non bullpups I have seen force the scope higher to clear the magazine, where the bulpup has the magazine well behind the scope rail.
I can see maybe that a standard rifle can have a lower cheek rest than a bullpen, but again the magazine clearance come into play.
In the end, it still is a matter or a well designed gun of any type compared to a poorly designed one.

Feel free to explain to me what I am missing.

I am no expert, bit I don't see how a BullPup would force the scope to be mounted higher. In fact I see it the other way around.
Most non bullpups I have seen force the scope higher to clear the magazine, where the bulpup has the magazine well behind the scope rail.
I can see maybe that a standard rifle can have a lower cheek rest than a bullpen, but again the magazine clearance come into play.
In the end, it still is a matter or a well designed gun of any type compared to a poorly designed one.

Feel free to explain to me what I am missing.
The magazine is hardly the problem, the cheek rest on the action however is and in some Pups where they have an additional buffer ( wood or synthetic cheek riser on top of the action) is even more so .

Just look around at pictures and you will clearly see.

One of the biggest flaws of bullpups is having the magazine under your ears, causing higher decibels over the course of your life will cause damage to the audible nerves.

Also the cocking mechanism is unnaturally behind the trigger putting your wrist in a awkward 90 degree angle and a slower deployment over a conventional rife with the action and cocking in front of you.

The Wildcat is better at having the cocking mechanism future up in front of you but flawed in having the mag under your ears.

The Taipan Veteran is one of the worse for having the cocking action all the waaaay at the back end, time lose in cocking equals missed shots in hunting and annoying overall on the bench, credit to the Veteran though is it having a CZ barrel
(IMHO)

Reactions: oaks1450
I agree with AirArcher about the scope height of bullpups. My P35s are extra high because the cocking rod is above the barrel but the scope center line is about 2.75 inches above the barrel center line. That is a couple inches taller than my conventional rifles. Within the first 20 yards I have to hold over to compensate. But they can also be zero'd a little further out, about 40 yards in my case with only about .25 inches rise. So far I have seen more squirrels beyond 20 yards than within 20 yards.

I think the bigger factor is just how they feel to you. I am 6'2" with long arms and I really like my under 30 inch bullpups. I do not like my long Avenger as much just because it is so long. But if I knew I would be getting lots of near in shots I would use my Prod or Avenger.

There is no shortage of nice to have air rifles. I crossed off FX bullpups because I shoot from my left shoulder and they put the magazine right in my face. If they didn't insist on that I'd probably have one. They are easily adjustable if you like that kind of thing (I do). I bought a P35 instead due to the under $500 price, the forward cocking lever, and the flush magazine. I like it so much I bought two more. So I now have them in 177, 22, and 25. I also really like the weight, just over 5 lbs without the scope. Accurate enough for me to score reasonably at the 30 yard challenge. All three of mine cost about what a FX costs. I have not tried slugs yet in the 177 bit my 22 and 25 stock barrels shoot slugs well.

Wondering the pros and cons to getting a FX Wildcat 2 as a first PCP? Will it be to much for a first gun...
The only thing that I have experienced with tube versus bottle guns is air capacity. If you do not leave your air compressor or you just hunt, then the tube might be alright. If you need more air for more shots than the tube allows. It might be a long way back to the air source. I have a Uragan standard and it will allow 100 shots in 25 caliber from its 480 cc tank. It is heavy as lead though, scoped out it is a little over 10 lbs. Too heavy for casual stalking, great gun otherwise.

Reactions: Mickshooter
Wondering the pros and cons to getting a FX Wildcat 2 as a first PCP? Will it be to much for a first gun...
If as you re saying you re used to 'straightforward' powder burners and you think a WC 2 maybe too much... have you considered a 'straightforward' FX Typhoon or T12 ? Or even a second hand FX Streamline ? All of those are great FX guns 'without frills nor curls'.

Check Europe Airguns for bargain price in Typhoon
Or Krale for a Field Target FX T12
Or this webshop for a plain model T12

Just providing the links so you can compare prices with your local shops.

1661454572883.png

1661454662238.png

1661454720373.png

I got a Wildcat and then a Maverick. Not that there is anything wrong with the Wildcat, but I prefer the Maverick. You don't have to take the stock off the Maverick every time you want to work on the gun, and the back screw on the WC is a PITA. FX is not that hard to work on and FX USA customer phone support is great. Tons of GOOD instruction on Youtube.
If you're not hung up on the weight difference or shot count, go with a VP and save a good amount of money. You can always get a bigger bottle later... for about the amount you saved in the first place.