• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Getting a FX for a first PCP?

Most new FX guns just have air leaks . . .

Really ?
NEW ánd leaking ?
MOST of them ?
Bit shocking to hear.

Through the years I ve been reading such exaggerations more than once.
Desinformation.
With capital D.
How has it come this far that people online spit out such desinformation without any restraint.

Because my experience with my FX guns have been entirely the opposite, upon hearing online comment "new FX will leak",
uttered as a sort of threatening prophecy,
some years ago started looking for numbers and diving into them. For when it comes down to it, numbers never lie. Only people do. Or exaggerate without restraint.

So,
With all due respect to those bluntly stating as a prophecy 'new FX guns will leak', it would seem their statistics have all been thrown in a heap and then cast overboard, subsequently 'creating' their own blackest of fairytale conclusions.
Perhaps because of ‘hearsay', whatever its ground or motivation . . . maybe some other reason... I m just guessing around here. I shouldn t do that, don t you think so ...

What statistics on the matter have learned to be fact :
NOT - ALL - NEW - FX guns leak. More like quite the opposite when one considers the numbers.
For in fact -percentage wise- very few FX guns at the moment of coming out of the factory will leak.
Even at leaving the gun store, only but a very minor percentage of all FX guns will leak, when considering the massive numbers sold worldwide.

Where does it most often go wrong then ?
Numbers indicate that most of the 'leaking hassles' in most cases start 'shortly afterwards'. After purchase.
How ? And where and when does it happen then ?
What do you yourself reckon ?

At that point the collected statistics confirm the logic :
Numbers have revealed 3 major keys when and why 'leaks mostly appear' :

1. Mostly not when leaving the factory, and neither upon arriving in the airgun shop; but indeed after the gun has been put in the hands of the buyer;
2. In cases of incidental leaks, such are most often to be identified with 'tactical' FX models, in a first instance because of the relatively greater number of o-rings in them, chances of leaks being statistically higher;
3. However not only more frequent leaks merely because of the higher number of o-rings in tactical models, but even more so with 'tactical' models because average buyers (of tactical FXs) from day 1 appear to be immediately lured into screwing and fumbling away 'like a pro' while mostly being all bút a pro, in most of such cases not at all being prepared enough nor informed enough thus mostly without the least of technical skills...

Even with the statistically enhanced 'relative chances' of production flaw because of massive FX production numbers,
most cases of leakage are indeed established :

1. In (FX and other brands) guns carrying the largest number of o-rings in them (when compared to 'classic' pcp guns);
2. With the 'meccano-like' tactical airguns of which their owners thought they could to their heart's content unscrew and screw back on, in many cases even from the first day after purchase.

Obviously some FX buyers will find these observations rather uncomfortable. Those people appear reluctant to be calling a cat, a cat. Rather putting the blame on the manufacturer, in the sense of :
'most FX will leak when bought new'.
MOST ?
NEW FX ?
If that were indeed the case, then it surely is a mystery seeing FX growing year after year...

While logic, reason, and numbers actually sound like :

Most new owners of FX air rifles overestimate themselves when improperly starting to screw and fumble away on their new rifle from day one.

The chances of
'MOST NEW FX will leak'
are about as high as
'FX USA systematically sabotaging (sic) most of its US imported FX guns (sic) on purpose (sic)'.

I mean, why spreading such desinformation like it were 'common truth' ?

Let's at all times remain reasonable, looking for reason and logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigragu and huntr
I seen earlier in the thread about the uk and I know they are cheaper there ...
Cheaper in the UK ?

As far as i know FX guns are seriously more expensive in the UK than on the European continent (and the Spanish Islands).
And i don t even know if you could easily order airguns in the UK.
The only thing i can say for sure is that Krale (from the mainland) ships a lot of airguns towards the US.

Just for you to be able to compare prices,
For instance,
I ve bought a MK2 Crown laminate in a Belgian gun shop at this price :
Even though i didn't buy at Krale, i paid the same price as Krale customers do.
Krale sets the price and every dealer in Belgium and the Netherlands will follow that price. More or less so anyway. I only know of 1 Belgian airgun shop selling Crown for about €40 less than the 'official price'.

I don t know how other European dealers shipping to the US are commented upon, but Krale shipments to the US are known to be quick and trustworthy.

Hope this info works for you.

Last edited:
Really ?
NEW ánd leaking ?
MOST of them ?
Bit shocking to hear.

Through the years I ve been reading such exaggerations more than once.
Desinformation.
With capital D.
How has it come this far that people online spit out such desinformation without any restraint.

Because my experience with my FX guns have been entirely the opposite, upon hearing online comment "new FX will leak",
uttered as a sort of threatening prophecy,
some years ago started looking for numbers and diving into them. For when it comes down to it, numbers never lie. Only people do. Or exaggerate without restraint.

So,
With all due respect to those bluntly stating as a prophecy 'new FX guns will leak', it would seem their statistics have all been thrown in a heap and then cast overboard, subsequently 'creating' their own conclusions... perhaps because of ‘hearsay', whatever its ground or motivation . . . I m just guessing around here. I shouldn t do that, don t you think so ...

What statistics on the matter have learned :
NOT - ALL - NEW - FX guns leak. More like quite the opposite when one considers the numbers.
For in fact -percentage wise- very few FX guns at the moment of coming out of the factory will leak.
Even at leaving the gun store, only but a minor percentage of all FX guns will leak, when considering the massive numbers sold worldwide.

Where does it most often go wrong then ?
Numbers indicate that most of the 'leaking hassles' in most cases start 'shortly afterwards'. After purchase.
How ? And where and when does it happen then ?
What do you yourself reckon ?

At that point collected statistics confirm the logic :
Numbers have revealed 3 major keys when and why 'leaks mostly appear' :

1. Mostly not when leaving the factory, but after the gun has been put in the hands of the buyer;
2. In cases of leaks, such are most often to be identified with 'tactical' FX models, because of the relatively greater number of o-rings in them, chances of leaks are statistically higher;
3. However not only more frequent leaks merely because of the higher number of o-rings in tactical models, but even more so with 'tactical' models because average buyers (of tactical FXs) from day 1 appear to be immediately lured into screwing and fumbling away 'like a pro' while moslty being all but a pro, in most of such cases not at all being prepared enough nor informed enough thus mostly without the least of technical skills...

Even with the statistically enhanced 'relative chances' of production flaw because of massive FX production numbers,
most cases of leakage are indeed established :

1. In (FX and other brands) guns carrying the most o-rings in them;
2. With the 'meccano-like' tactical airguns of which their owners thought they could to their heart's content unscrew and screw back on, in many cases even from the first day after purchase.

Obviously some FX buyers will find these observations rather uncomfortable. Those people appear reluctant to be calling a cat, a cat. Rather putting the blame on the manufacturer, in the sense of :
'most FX will leak when bought new'.
MOST ?
NEW FX ?
If that were indeed the case, then it surely is a mystery seeing FX growing year after year...

While logic, reason, and numbers actually sound like :

Most new owners of FX air rifles overestimate themselves when improperly starting to screw and fumble away on their new rifle from day one.

The chances of
'MOST NEW FX will leak'
are about as high as
'FX USA systematically sabotaging most of its US imported FX guns on purpose'.

I mean, why spreading such desinformation like it s 'common truth' ?

Let's at all times remain reasonable, looking for reason and logic.
Very well stated, thank you.

When I read of folks saying their gins just started leaking, after the third magazine, and they end it with “I was just shooting, and I don’t know what happened”. I would say a high percentage of those cases there are always few things left out, as one, I have never had that happen from a gun out of the box, and two, the few times my gun started leaking after three shots it’s because I did something to it earlier.

Being a owner og both a FX impact, and wildcat mk 2, I would say the wildcat is "better" in sone areas. The wildcat hasa very ergonomic stock, while impact is ok, it is still metal resting against your forhand. When shooting impact on a bench, I would say extra accesories are manatory, which add to the cost.Usually a bag rider, or a extended rail for bipod. The only accesories you need on a wildcat is a bipod rail, if you plan to use one. Apart from that the ergonomic og the stock makes it a better gun to shoot offhand, and also to carry around.

I think an FX is a fine gun to start with. Pick an ammo you like, tune your gun to shoot it, and leave it be. My FX Maverick VP .30 cal is way more accurate than I am shooting FX Hybrid Slugs and JSB Hades, and I have a profile setting for each in my ATN X-Sight 4K Pro scope.

Additionally, I hear many say to stay away from Bullpup designs, but I wouldn't have any other style airgun. This is especially true if you are hunting go out in the field. Obviously, everyone has their preference, but the advantages of the Bullpup form factor are well worth it IMHO.

I'll say again, I just started with an FX Impact M3 and I don't have any issues with the gun or a learning curve. It's not that complicated if you don't start fooling around with it immediately. Just shoot it right out of the box until you get comfortable with it.

If you decide to start making adjustments or upgrades watch a lot of videos. Start small and do only one thing at a time until you see how it affects performance.

If your budget doesn't allow for the FX then I would recommend a Daystate Huntsman Revere. I shot a friends, and even though I have the M3 I'm still considering a Revere. It's a steal at $1450
I actually started with the Revere (which I still have) and eventually added an M3. Love ‘em both!!