Generation 1 Impact to Impact X. worth doing?

hi. let’s get right to it. i was wondering if i could take a generation 1 Impact and turn it to a impact x with success? i understand there is a regulator difference, but do i really need a new reg if i can change everything else? i also know 1st gen impacts had PROBLEMS. will those be ironed out with new parts? i’m just a broke boi who can’t afford a new impact x but i can afford a second hand gen 1 impact (good deal) and upgrade it as i go. which i think would be good for me as i would get to know the gun better and learn working on it. what are your thoughts? how close can i get it to the x? what are the major differences between the two and what can’t i change? 

I DO WANT TO SHOOT SLUGS:) .22 to .25 caliber.

I have found that shooting and golf have one major similarity. Take a set of $99 clubs ,put them in the hands of a seasoned pro and he/she will probably have a great day over 18 holes. It’s the same with PCP rifles a great shooter will do well with any rifle that is properly tuned. What I’m trying to say 90% + of your shooting results are due to the skills of the shooter the rest is on how the gun is. I have a generation 1 that has had some tweaking and when it is shot by someone with good skills it’s a winner. Unfortunately I’m not shooting as well as I once did, but a lousy day shooting for me is better than a great golf game.

You can convert to a certain point. and I think it's worth it.

Buy the x-barrel set up. New it's like 400+ bucks but check the forums for used to save $$

Enlarge the transfer port on the barrel, that'll gain you more speed...not sure how much, but a good guess would be 25-30 more fps. Not necessary though.

If you know how to work on the gun, get the thicker Valve Seat. Maybe a few extra fps but good to have as the original was too thin and prone to breaking. It's around 20 bucks

For more power get the hammer weight...some guys are making them in the forum for around 10 bucks.

And if you want more power and want to mess with slugs, get one of the 3rd party regulators like from Huma.

My Gen. 1 has the stock OEM regulator, the x-barrel, pellet liner and the heavier valve seat and it is shooting extremely well. My port has not been enlarged, no hammer weight and I'm shooting .25 cal 34gn JSB at 880 fps with an extreme spread of 7. Just spend your time tuning and it will become a tack driver. 

Good luck

KP/NC

I'll add this, if buying a Gen.1 Impact, get one with a serial number in the 16xxx range. Those were later model Gen 1 V2.0's. A lot of earlier bugs had been fixed.

If you can, take apart the reg and polish the guide shaft and the belville washers. Replace the o-rings. Don't do this if you aren't comfortable. Polishing will help decrease the extreme spread.

The main upgrade is the x-barrel. It shoots significantly better than the original Smooth Twist.

I decided not to mess with slugs with the Gen. 1, though it can be done,,,,but you'd need the Power Plenum upgrade......so now you're shelling out a lot of money.

Check the For Sale section on this forum....there are used Gen2's on there. Weigh the extra money against a used Gen2 which will come with everything mentioned above and the better regulator.

Good Luck

@drumsandguns sjc/zildjian player here:) anyways i deff want to mess with slugs but would like to (preferably but not set in stone) avoid 3rd party. are you using the 600mm or 700mm barrel? i’d be ok with not adding a heftier hammer and regulator if i could get good slug performance by using a 700mm barrel. 880 on a 600mm (i’m hoping) sounds like 910ish on a 700mm which seems like enough? 

what about power plenum? do you know if that’s compatible with the gen 1? i dunno if the larger reg on the x is needed to make the power plenum work. if i understand it correctly it just increases the plenum space which is after the reg right? 

I agree with Brian. I own 3 Impacts -- one Gen 1 2 and 2 Xs. I can't tell the difference in the rifles. This after spending hundreds $$$$ chasing Youtube star-like performance. 

My fav right now? The cerokoted Impact Gen 1 2 pictured below ----> .22 cal at 53 fpe. Why? Probably because of the cerokote and the shorter barrel. However, the .25 cal -- pictured below tuned for 50 fpe -- does every thing that I require in my plinking, target-shooting and pesting.

1583340358_3289624205e5fdb46d3b4e4.04696528_Impact X.JPG
1583340437_6611930095e5fdb95cd1749.93258973_Impact g1.JPG

Follow drummer! Excellent!

I have the Gen 2 with the power plenum because I just didn't want to try and make the Gen 1 a slug shooter. Not to say it can't be done....that was just my decision. The Power Plenum kit IS compatible w the Gen 1.

I've heard good things about the Huma regulator which you will need for slugs I think. Slugs need to go at least 900 fps...others can chime in here if I'm wrong.

The FX reg won't fit the older Gen.1 as the new one is bigger and FX won't sell the receiver.

There's a guy on the forum who I have bought parts from. His stuff is very high quality and he will make sure that you're happy and he's good at giving advice fmor ods. I can message you his screen name if you are interested.

My Gen1 had the 600 mm pellet liner and that will be my pellet shooter. 880 fps for JSB heavies is plenty fast.

The Gen 2 has the 700 mm and will be for slugs, otherwise you have to change the tuning if you go back and forth, slug-pellet. Out of the box the Gen2 with the new Reg and 700 was shooting JSB 34 gn at 899, with valve wide open and power wheel at max. So you can easily hit low to mid-900's with slugs. I think the Gen 2 has a hammer weight incorporated in the system. Don't quote me on that but pretty sure. I'm going to need the stronger hammer spring if I want to get up into the higher 900's.

I was planning on selling the Gen 1 but I think I'll keep it since it's shooting so well. Will probably sell some other stuff to offset the Gen 2 price.

Hope that helps

I have a gen1 .25 and it was problem free for 3 years. Infact it only started playing up when I began power tuning it ( 30cc external plenum/ 6.25 VS/ Delrin C3/ TP and probe mod)

If you dont plan on shooting slugs id say go for it, enjoy it and upgrade as parts fail ( if they fail).

It only cost me around £50/$70 to do the above mods (with HY filter plenum) and when I had the 600mm st barrel that set up would shoot the JSB heavies spot on at 920fps/ 140b.....no need to spend the extra bucks on mk2 fx parts if you dont want too 👍

@jamieuk 

so are you saying by shooting slugs you mean heavy SOBs? because i do want to shoot slugs. well slugs and pellets (for when slugs are too much) 

.25 nsa makes 26-36 grainers (diablo heavy weight) 

.22 as low as 17 grains (diablo heavy weight) 

@drumsnguns

so the mk2 reg and 700mm stx barrel only gave you a 19fps advantage over the gen1 reg and 600mm st barrel? you said heavy for 600mm but then said 34 grains for the 700mm i assumed the heavy a were 34 grains. 

@2manyAirGunz

those are beauty’s! but why do you need 3 of em lol donate me one:) haha jk 

Sorry I hadnt read all the other posts properly before responding....In your intial post you suggest cost is a consideration ( just a broke boi!) and if you want to shoot slugs from a gen1, as mentioned above your gonna need an X barrel. Thats going to be a big investment.

As you do want to shoot slugs youd be better off going straight for a used STX set up.

I guess my main point was you dont need to upgrade a gen1 with mk2 parts to make big power, in fact im making higher fps at lower reg pressures with my humble mk1 set up than people are currently reporting from PP'd guns ( in .25 that is ) 

I now have a 700mm barrel and with the above mods can push the NSA 33.5's at 980 with reg at 140 ( no extra hammer required)

Only downside is the external plenum sticking out of the gun.....

@JamieUK

i can see where i maybe confusing people.

by cost i mean INITIAL. i can’t drop 2000 dollars on a new air rifle in one sum, it’s just not gonna happen. what i can do is spend 1300 on a used gen 1 and gradually build it up. this way i’m not only forced to tinker by having to upgrade things but i can also get shooting now(pellets anyway). i just want to know that i’m not sacrificing my options down the road by not just ponying up 2000. from what all you wonderful peeps have told me, i can swap out pretty much everything from the mk2 impact x to the gen 1 EXCEPT for the regulator (which drumsnguns infromed me i can get a huma) and if the regulator is only giving me 20-40 more fps thats not a big enough deal breaker for me. as long as i CAN get it shooting slugs down the road i’d be happy. i just also had concern because i remember gen 1 impacts having a lot of problems but i never owned one so i was unsure if the problems were easily solved by replacing some stuff or if they made significant changes to the block and required a mk2 purchase to flush those problems out...

Montana,

I'm having clipping problems with my 700 mm barrel that I'm trying to sort out so I don't really know what this new setup is ultimately capable of. As soon as I get it sorted, I'll get back onto tuning. The numbers I gave you on the MK2/700 mm were out of the box which is a fairly low power tune. 

FX claims that the 700 mm will give you 10% more velocity over the 600 mm so that might help you figure some things out.

My .30 Impact is a gen1. It's been back to FX for power tuning and a aux plenum. I've also put a 700mm slug barrel on it and bigger 580cc bottle.

Tough to decide which slug it likes best. Flings a 54gr at 930fps and a 65.5gr at 860fps. I haven't been out to the club in months to really stretch it's legs, but it's very accurate at home w/ 75yds.

I really like it a lot. I'd like a little more speed tho. Would love to have the 65.5gr at 950fps. It'll go back to FX again for the PP upgrade when my turn comes.

1583427409_13955763585e612f51687036.15979488.jpg

If you get a decent priced gen-1 impact, do not think that you need to go all out buying all the bells and whistles to make it a gen-2. Buying just the slug liner, and power kit off eBay is all you really have to do to upgrade for power. The rest can be done at home with hand tools if you're mechanically inclined. The liner is 109.00 and the power kit on ebay is 40.00. (I've made all my own stuff to upgrade, except for the barrel.) The the things you can do to upgrade power at home with some research and hand tools includes porting the valve housing, barrel transfer ports, and pellet probe port hole, opening up the valve seat diameter, shortening the return spring. The bigger plenums do help with speed and shot count, but are truly not necessary, so don't buy into that being a necessity for reasonably big power in slugs.

I have a gen 1 ,it has a huma reg set at 120bar ,fx power plenum, 700mm .30 barrel i'm getting over 65 shots from 250 -120 bar, with 44g jsb 

Shot count: 10

Low: 939

Hi: 946

Avg: 942

STD Dev: 2.0

Spread: 7.0

3/6/20 3:44:27 PM,942

3/6/20 3:44:36 PM,946

3/6/20 3:44:45 PM,942

3/6/20 3:44:56 PM,942

3/6/20 3:45:05 PM,939

3/6/20 3:45:15 PM,942