Generally, how “regulated / strict” are the rules for hunting in your state?

Okay, how strict are the hunting rules in your home state? When I mean strict, I mean what is and is not allowed to be consider legal. Some states are lose some are not.

Also, my hunting experience is a bit old from my upland bird, varmint, and limited big game days before I left for Europe. With most of that time spent hunting in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. 

Currently I am in Texas, where things are much different than the hunting in the Rocky Mountain states. The rules I know best are in Idaho, most apply to big and upland game, except for night hunting. Night hunting is not allowed in Idaho except for coyotes and by permit only.

Also, in Idaho and maybe Montana and Utah, electronics are not allowed on your scope for big game hunting, i.e. no thermal or direct filming ability (I think). You can though attach a side shot type setup to film the shot, but an ATN type scope is a no no. You can use radios for scouting, but not hunting and so on and so on. 

So compared to above other than lack of public land hunting big game in states like Texas seems easy compared to the above. I know people here who literally set up the feeder station at the hunting lodge shoot their “hard earned” buck off the back porch drinking coffee.

If you are interested in what and where is it legal to hunt with airguns, you might want to check out this website:

https://airgunsporting.org/laws/

But how can you trust that site? I can't corroborate what they say with any Massachusetts official website.

Well, the info on their website matches my local laws. They are a group working to help get airguns legal for hunting, so I don't think they are the bad guys.

MA firearms laws are insanely and intentionally vague. I was going to get my CCW and after reading the laws, they can essentially charge you as a felon at their discretion any time they want to. It’s entirely open for interpretation and extremely tyrannical. It’s one of the reasons I left the state.

Just as one example. You can be in the parking lot of a range unloading the car. If my wife just carries a handgun in its case into the building, if that handgun is the one registered to me, even with me there, my wife can be charged as a felon in MA.

One more crazy MA example… knives. At the state level it’s pretty open and reasonable around carrying a knife, however, they allow town to town variations up to felony charges. So, you can be totally fine in one town with a pocket knife but a felon in the next town and there is really no way to know unless you study the laws of each town you go through.

Be super careful in MA with anything that is in any way fun to do and involves outdoor sports.

Idaho is very hunter friendly. Very liberal on gun rights, probably more than 90% of other states. 

Idaho’s philosophy towards hunting I guess is very fair chase. Of you don’t follow the rules the fines can be steep. Poachers are treated the way they should be especially in district 5, the judge HATES poachers and is very tight with the Idaho Fish & Game. I think his son became a conservation officer. 

Air is relatively new to Texas. 2018 IIRC for anything other than small game.

I've hunted the western Mountain states, and a few of the central States, and other than baiting, just acted like I was at home and things were better than fine.

A lot easier to spot game out west. I do love spot and stalk. Glassing for hours on end gets old, but you see a lot of interesting sights.

TLDR;

depends on who youtalk to, or the game warden's attitude when you interact with them

I live RIGHT on the Gallatin river. By right on, I mean 35 feet out the back door and your standing in the water (after having fallen down the bank...:) )

Flyfishing, in essentially my own back yard, a game warden came into my yard from the street side, and demanded to see my fishing license.... Told him it was in the house, pointed to my house, and said Id get it if he needed to see it.... got it, showed it and my drivers license....

He said I should always have it on my person if fishing..... even in my own "yard". Told him I always do if fishing elsewhere (license was in my vest, which I need if not at home), and didnt feel the need since I live here, and as I demonstrated, could easily retrieve it. 

While he wasnt a nazi about it, he was borderline jerk.... and now as I type this I realize I should have bitched him out for trespassing thru my yard...

Called the fish and game HQ in Helena (Montana state capital) asking about hunting with airguns some 10 years ago. At that time they had no idea airguns were as powerful as they were/are, and was told if you need a tag to hunt it, you cant use an airgun. Havent followed up on that, as nothing I have is capable of taking a deer or elk. Those guys were friendly and helpful, even if not understanding the power of modern airguns....

It's not too difficult in Ohio, but if you have been at it a number of years, it just becomes second nature and you just grab this year's regs to make sure what you hunt is still the same. the great thing about Ohio, is no matter where you are, you are less than an hour away from public hunting grounds!

The bad thing, no deer or turkey allowed with an airgun. Even if you shoot arrows. 😥