• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

General questions about PcP's

Hi all,

I'm wanting to enter this activity after a really long hiatus from airguns (like 24 years or so). I never owned a pcp as I never had the money for one but I'm getting to the point where I might like to pull the trigger. I'm really quirky about how I shoot but a specific question I had was if I want to convert a rifle to a carbine to cut down on weight and length..........can a smith safely and effectively cut down the barrel and air cylinder? Is this asking for leaks or crazy drop in performance? Honestly I don't plan on hunting and will be shooting at shorter ranges.

My advice would be buy a carbine to start with . Cutting and recrowning a barrel is not too huge a deal ( but you loose fps and normally increase noise ) . But cutting down an air cylinder is something all together different . I looked into it once and the price was WAY MORE than it was worth , at least to me .
Neil Clague has a really cool carbine on classifieds right now . look around before you sink a lotta $ in a one of a kind that may be hard to unload later unless somebody like AZ , or Ernest modifies it .

Thanks Joe. I figured it was a fool's errand to cut down the air cylinder. I was surprized someone actually thought to look into it too. I saw Neil's posting....and actually had my eye on the Contour Elite or Compatto but was bummed to find out they don't offer them with left hand bolts (another quirk of mine: I shoot righty but want a left side bolt). Kind of like the Vulcan but that's way too expensive for me. At any rate, it's good advice.

Yeah I was looking at UK air rifle hunting forums and saw his name alot. I emailed him. My dream was to get a blueprinted R10 by Mr. Bowkett. But their gov is more restrictive than ours, was much too costly and almost impossible for me to have that arranged.

What does Ernest do, internal adjustments or finds the best pellet and power curve? Where is his shop and what prices should I expect he commands? Thats a fine group at 50yards!