• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

General PCP questions - Maximus rifle

My new Maximus rifle is due for delivery tonight, perfect for the weekend. I'm all set with a hand pump (4 uncles), and several kinds of pellets.

I've got a few questions before I screw something up. :)

Dry Fire - The online owners manual talks about dry firing for a variety of reasons, indicating that it's ok to do so. We have a local sporting goods store chain in Ohio called 'Fin Feather & Fur'. Pretty big place, really big on firearms, not so much on airguns. They have sign behind the counter that says "If you dry fire any air rifle you are looking at, you will be expected to purchase that rifle". Seems extreme to me. So the question is, is dry firing ok or not?

Storing the rifle - The manual says to always keep some air pressure in the rifle during storage to keep the seals pressed against the mating surfaces. Any suggestion on how much pressure or just as long as it's not empty. Seems to me that when I finish shooting for the day, the psi will probably be around 1,000. Probably don't have to pump it full to 2,000psi, do I?

The manual says that when I'm done for the day, I should pull back the bolt, pull the trigger, then hold the trigger in while I push the bolt back to firing position, and store it that way. Why?

Cleaning - Should I clean the barrel before I use it or will it get cleaned by shooting some pellets through it? I saw a video to use a length of weed whacker line with a patch on the end of it. I use Ballistol for all my firearm cleaning, I'm guessing that would be good for this too. Or, is it best to just leave it alone?

Tuning - This is confusing to me. This is the excerpt from the manual: "Pressurizing the Airgun - This airgun is designed for use at pressures between 1,000 and 2,000 psi depending on how you, the user, adjust (tune) the gun to work." That's all it say. Are they referring to 'tuning' as simply the amount of psi pressure I decide to put in the gun, or is there some other tuning process?

That's it. You know, I was able to get this rifle for only $145 and free shipping, thanks to you guys. I would have never looked on MidwayUSA's website for this particular deal, but you guys posted it here on this forum. It's great to be part of a group of people like this and I thank you for the tip. My plan is to use this rifle for a while. The main reason I bought this one was not only price, but also that the psi pressure is only 2,000 which I figured would be easier to hand pump than getting the Avenger which is over 3,000psi. The problem I have is that there is absolutely no place for me to get an air tank filled to 4,500 psi. So, to upgrade to something like the Avenger means I also have to buy an air compressor. We'll see. For now, I'm looking forward to the weekend to do some shooting. Finally! I don't have to go to the gun range just to do a little target shooting. I can go out my back yard. Thanks again.

Welcome Wayne ! Looks like you chose a great rifle to start with ! It's so light and reasonably accurate with good manufacturers support.

Dry firing is ok as long as your pressure is above 1000 psi.

1000 to 2000 psi is fine for storing.

Holding the bolt, pulling the trigger, and easing it closed, is the procedure for decocking. It's just making sure your rifle is unstressed and safe when you put it away.

Ballistol is commonly used to clean the barrel but shouldn't be frequently required . It's good to do a thorough cleaning when new, though .

A pcp can be tuned for velocity, shot count, and/or pressure range by adjusting the hammer spring, stroke, and port size, as well as changing hammer weight. It's not necessarily easy and most likely unnecessary unless you have specific requirements not being met.

Bob

The instructions gelling you to hold the bolt open while pressing the trigger is called decocking it but you already loaded a pellet so it's safer to disregard that part and just shoot the pellet out before storing the gun between 1000 to 2000psi. 

Dry firing a Maximus is safe. They mean don't dry fire firearms and spring guns and some PCPs that will be damaged by dryfiring like FX.

Last Brand new Maximus I never cleaned the barrel and just shot it believe it or not. Probably got 500 rounds and still is dead on. Only shot Crosman brand ammo slecifically 14.3gr pointed from the tins of 175 and Premier Hollowpoints from Wal-Mart. You can run a fishing line or weedwhacker line with a pull through 1 inch Square cut t-shirt or 22 cotton round or square patches with Ballistol if you want.

Never adjusted the power either it seemed consistent as - is and shoot 23 - 25 shots starting at 2000psi then pump up again.

Load pellet pens with 23 to 25 pellets once they are empty time to refill air. Or keep 25 pellets in containers.

Sorry too close for missles switched to guns. (Spell check turned off ha!)

If you do decide to deliberately void the 5 year warranty by drilling the transfer port to get more power and less shots I suggest you buy a chrony and a spare factory transfer port and trigger group or buy the OEM Crosman Challenger trigger group and cut out a credit or gift card shim gasket so you don't damage the sear.

I would just leave how the power is set and only do the Challenger trigger with DIY shim gasket and a TKO silencer unless the cheap $26 silencer with front sight becomes available again (in stock).

You can dry fire the Maximus, no more stress on anything than a normal shot. If you dry fire it in the house, warn your wife first, so she doesn't freak out. It is kind of loud when inside. The decocking process in the manual is assuming you have a pellet loaded, just shoot it into the ground. 

Store it at a consistant pressure, so you will know when you first pick it up the next time if it has developed a leak. Discoveries(basically the same platform as the maximus) were notorious for the O rings at the gauge block to go bad from being nicked during assembly. It is likely yours will leak there at some point also. It is a good idea to order a spare set of O rings for the gun and keep them around just in case.

Clean the bore when you first get it and every few tins of pellets. It will probably like Crosman premiers and H+N FTT's. Don't worry about the tune unless you have a chronograph to find out where it is at and where you are trying to go.

I've had a Maximus for 4 yrs. It's been great. This is a repeat of responses but here's what I do:

Dry fire? You can, but I don't do it often. Why waste the air?.

Store with 1000 psi. That's plenty of air for several potent shots if needed and it's easy to top off to 2000 the next time you shoot.

Decocking? I've never done that. Just shoot the pellet out of the gun and put the gun away

Barrel was really dirty when I got it. I used Ballistol to clean the barrel. No cleaning since

Tuning? Why screw with it? Out of the box it shoots 830+ fps with 14.3 pellets, very accurate, and 20 to 25 shots per fill. (Gun shoots great with Crosman Premiers domes and HP and JSB 15.89 Exacts - that's all I've used so can't comment on other pellets.)

Enjoy!!

Update:

Great news! Out of the box the gun shoots great.

I put a lower end scope on it and dialed it in pretty quick.

Help me understand the accuracy as related to fps. Heres what i experienced.

Pumped it up to 2,000psi.

Shot 10 shots with iron sites, then put the scope on.

Probably took 10 to 15 more shots to dial in.

Nice. 30 yard, 5 shots in less than an inch. Total shots, maybe 25 to 28 on gun fill.

Decided to pump again and brought it up to 2,000 or tiny bit higher. Took 5 shots at 30 yards and all shots were about an inch low.

Hmmm. Im guessing theres a sweet spot for the best accuracy because the gun doesnt have a regulator. Yes?

Also, i watched a you tube vid where the guy used a chronograph that showed the higher psi actually had lower fps. Please explain.

Bottom line, this gun is great. I love it already.

Update:

Great news! Out of the box the gun shoots great.

I put a lower end scope on it and dialed it in pretty quick.

Help me understand the accuracy as related to fps. Heres what i experienced.

Pumped it up to 2,000psi.

Shot 10 shots with iron sites, then put the scope on.

Probably took 10 to 15 more shots to dial in.

Nice. 30 yard, 5 shots in less than an inch. Total shots, maybe 25 to 28 on gun fill.

Decided to pump again and brought it up to 2,000 or tiny bit higher. Took 5 shots at 30 yards and all shots were about an inch low.

Hmmm. Im guessing theres a sweet spot for the best accuracy because the gun doesnt have a regulator. Yes?

Also, i watched a you tube vid where the guy used a chronograph that showed the higher psi actually had lower fps. Please explain.

Bottom line, this gun is great. I love it already.

I have had a .22 Maximus for several years and love it. Higher fill = lower fps,........ yes. The valve is partially valve locked at the higher fill. Yes, there is a sweet spot in the string. You need a chronograph to know that. A simple cheat is to set up at 30 like you did. Note the start fill. Shoot and note the fill pressure for each shot. The small gauge will make that hard,... so at least every 3-5 shots. In the case of your over fill,...you would see the shots start low,.. then rise,.. then stay there for quite awhile,... and then drop again. Noting the fill level along the way will tell you what PSI range your gun shoots steady in and also should give you your usable shot count per fill.