General capabilities of .22

I primarily hunt ground squirrels with a Steyr Hunting 5 semi auto. It generates about 30ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. I’ve had no trouble taking them down, some out to 150 yards. But mostly 70-80 yards. I go for center of mass unless they’re in a little closer. Some DRT, some scamper into their holes, only to be eaten by their brethren. I’ve retrieved some bodies to throw over the fence line and they were partially devoured in only about an hour or so…
All I can say is that .22 is just as effective against ground squirrels as a .25 which I’ve had. I went with the .22 because pellets are cheaper and more efficient with air.

I'm just curious what a general .22 PCP capable of taking down humanely? Specifically, I have a major groundhog problem. I am in a neighborhood so I believe most of my shots will be headshot attempts.

Since you have indicated that you have neighbors, even though you didn't specify how close, be aware that not only do you NEED to be sure of the backstop if you miss, but also the likely chance of ricochet.

How do I know? Just ask my neighbor who is a VERY VERY nice man! (sheepish smile)

Early in my war on tree rats, I hit is house 3 times via ricochet. The shots were not aimed even close to his house! Gravel is the devil...

I constantly see posts where shot placement, shot placement, shot placement is emphasized and rightfully so. The other part of this "truth" is that being human and considering various factors sometimes the best intentions of good shot placement is not attained even though the target varmit is still hit.
Therefore I'm a believer in being a bit over powered rather than trying to obtain my goals with the minimum acceptable power.

Reactions: SHOMER
I humbly submit my simple operational pseudo science.
For my ranges of engagements with general pests, I normally shoot a Prod 22 with CHEAP Benjamins. But when I stalk a certain prey that needs to be dispatched in the extreme prejudices or at a further distance then it's a 25. :cool:

“Hoplophobia; an irrational fear of weapons.” ~Col. Jeff Cooper

My main goal is to keep racoons and skunks from taking residence under my deck and shed. Both of which are constructed in such a way as to be difficult for a man to go under to retrieve dead animals. My goal is to have them drop in their tracks or within a couple feet and not be successful in their dash for cover. 34 grain .25 cal for me all day every day. Even for squirrels and rabbits.

.22 will work, but depends on gun and distance ... your talking an animal of several pounds size right? never dealt with groundhog, so from my point of view id want a ~30fpe gun, not some pathetic sissyized gun i chopped the spring on, and it would be pretty good with a offhand vitals shot under 30 likely but id want to get as close as possible to keep that smackdown energy up .. if i had a good steadyrest to prop on id go for a headshot out to 40 -50 if i was confident in the gun and accuracy ..it may take them further, depends on the size, if its big daddy probably not lol

I have used my .22 to take a few ground hogs with my PCPs. I keep my shots sub forty yards, and wait for a side shot. They are tough critters and can absorb a lot of damage if not hit properly. Shot placement and knowing your limitations is key. Wounding an animal that get away? It's an awful feeling....

This chuck was taken at 25 yards with a 17 FPE Atomic XR. According to Strelok the Crosman Premiers delivered 12 FPE at that distance. Shot placement and close range, like bow hunting...

image.jpeg

I've killed 22 groundhogs this year, and they were all with a .30 cal. I took 23 last year, and they were all with a .357. If you are choosing to use a smaller caliber, use a 50 fpe .25 and take mostly headshots.

Most kills have been bodyshots, because groundhogs are usually eating constantly, which make reliable kills with headshots harder to do.

With the right gun and shot placement, you can drop them in their tracks with bodyshots, and I got several videos on here with examples.

I've been battling groundhogs this season as they've been destroying my garden. I picked up a 25 caliber Origin specifically for the job. What others have said about them being tough critters is 100% true. I've gone 3 for 4 so far this month, all around 30yds. The one that got away was the only shot that wasn't broadside on the head. He was facing me at about a 45 degree angle and I sent a 26.54gr Hades pellet going 950fps at his noggin. He took the round like a boss and ran off in rough shape dragging his face in the dirt. That was about a week ago and I learned my lesson, only broadside head shots moving forward. I was in disbelief, didn't think they could survive that. It's certainly possible that I may have slightly pulled the shot, but he definitely took a round right to the dome. I'm not sure if that one eventually died from his wound or not, but I just got another smaller one this evening. This time I waited for the proper angle and he dropped immediately, tail twitched for about 5-10sec and he was done. Shot selection and placement is key, even with a 50fpe 25 caliber.

Reactions: L.Leon
I have used my .22 to take a few ground hogs with my PCPs. I keep my shots sub forty yards, and wait for a side shot. They are tough critters and can absorb a lot of damage if not hit properly. Shot placement and knowing your limitations is key. Wounding an animal that get away? It's an awful feeling....

This chuck was taken at 25 yards with a 17 FPE Atomic XR. According to Strelok the Crosman Premiers delivered 12 FPE at that distance. Shot placement and close range, like bow hunting...

View attachment 279034
@L.Leon Which sort or ammo are you using on them? Slugs? Domed pellets? Hades? Polymags? Or exclusively CPHPs for pesting?

@Ezana4CE, I've taken them with JSB Exact Jumbos 18s and Crosman Premiers, (domes and hollowpoints) out of the Bantam HR and the Atomic XR. The Atomic XR has proved to be very accurate out to 40 yards with the CPHPs. At 25 yards I have no qualms about sending a Crosman pellet at a chuck. Haven't tried the Hades or Polymags yet... Out of the Atomic? I'm currently using the CPHPs for pesting/plinking. They have proven to be deadly on sparrows and starlings out to 40 yards. At less then 1/3rd the price of JSBs, for pesting, they get it done. I got into Airguns for the short range capabilities, so slugs, are a "no go" in the crowded places I do my pesting.

Reactions: SHOMER