Gauntlet vs Air Venturi

Hey all, looking to get into the PCP game. Was going to try and start off with an FX, but things just aren’t panning out that way for the time being. Looking at both of these budget rifles, that seem to get great reviews, which one would be the best to start with in your opinion. I’m looking for 25 caliber and would like to shoot pellets and slugs. I have seen videos of the Venturi shooting slugs and quit well too… how is the gauntlet when it comes to slug shooting…. 
And just to through another monkey in the mix… HOW about the drop of the Gauntlet 2!!! 😳😳 where would the new Gauntlet 2 line up in this match? Am I maybe missing a better option? I really appreciate it guys!! Have a great day!

Can't speak for the other, but the Air Ventury is a gem. Not sure what it is capable of, for velocity, but it is keeping a nice 24+ shot string of 27.47 H&N Hunters at 880 fps, starting at 3600-3800 psi in the reservoir. It shoots slugs pretty well, but I have noticed my choice starting to keyhole slightly at all the ranges and at random. Shooting from the single shot block seems to remedy this, so seating and slug length/design seem to be the culprit.

Not PURDY or fancy, and may or may not last, but so far so good. Light weight and seems to punch above it's weight class.

The biggest advantages of the Avenger are the side lever cocking, the adjustable regulator, and the weight (2 lbs less). The gauntlet has a preset regulator at `1900 psi and the gauntlet 2 is at 2100 if I remember right. The Avenger can go higher, as high as 2900 but I don't think settings above 2400 or 2500 will do much for you. But still higher. The Gauntlet II adds say it will produce 51 ft lbs, that is the same as my 25 Avenger does with it's current 2400 psi 1.5 turns in tune using JSB Heavies. It puts them into 1/4 inch groups at 33 yards with regularity. I am waiting to get my SCBA tanks setup done to take it to a range and try all the pellets it does well with at 50 and 100 yards.

If you are hand pumping, you might want the original gauntlet. I hand pumped my Avenger at first but it was 250 pumps to get from nothing to 3500 psi and a typical refill was 100 pumps. I bet a Gauntlet is less. A Gauntlet II probably gets more shots on a fill than an Avenger, it's tank looks bigger but I did not compare specs. If that is right and the Gauntlet II is a bigger tank, you may not want to hand pump it. But in terms of pumps per shots I'm guessing either Gauntlet has an advantage.

I have only tried 3 slugs so far but my Avenger did not like any of them at all. Others report much different results and I may try some NSAs before giving up. But I also question the role of slugs, at least for me. The ones I've shot expanded nicely in wet paper but didn't penetrate nearly as well as domed pellets. The slugs penetrated about as well as 22 caliber domed pellets out of my Prod. So I could could use them on squirrels and make bigger holes through them but the squirrels die quickly from 22 caliber domed pellets - they drop on the spot with a hit to the vitals. So a 25 caliber hole should be plenty. A little less drop and more significant difference in wind drift are advantages but overall, I'm still struggling to see where I really need to shoot slugs. But it's fun to mess around and I will probably do more.

Not a fan of the Gauntlet regulator system. Tacking a reg on to the bottle is a bit mickey mouse. It seems in my memory serves me, you also lose all of the air in the bottle if you need to degass the gun.

The Avenger seems a better design all the way through.

You can unscrew bottle with reg attached and not loose much air maybe an o ring though. 

avenger will need poppet replaced so if you’re not comfortable opening up rifle I’d go gauntlet or hatsan flash. Flash is handpump friendly and my .25 does 48 FPE. 

that avenger stock is horrible IMO but they had to save money somewhere so they did on stock and poppet. Tuning capability is nice though.