• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gauntlet SL30 vs JTS Aircuda Max.30 cal

So I am about to make the jump from .22 to .30 Cal. Was wondering if anyone has had experience with both of these 30 caliber guns. Trying to make a decision on which way to go and would appreciate any input from folks that have had experience With either gun relative to, build quality , accuracy, cocking ease trigger and your general thoughts and recommendation, one way or the other.
Thanks for the Assistance
Holden

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Never shot the Airacuda. But I have a Guanlet 30 (not SL) that I've shot a lot (as well as a G2 25 that's seen a lot of use). I know the Guantlet has much more power. They seem to be very reliable.

I would prefer the wood stock on the JTS but just the difference in power between these guns, I think the G2 30 is the clear winner. Maybe it can be tuned higher but the JTS says 850 FPS with 44.75 grain pellets. That's borderline too slow IMO. The G2 30 will shoot those more like 1020 FPS at max power (a little too fast but you can turn it down closer to 900 if you want). If you turn down the power to minimum on the G2 30 it's similar to the max power on the JTS from what I gather. If you want to shoot some heavy slugs you'll be wanting that G2 30.

I happen to like the trigger, but people have different opinions on that. The G2 30 is very satisfying to shoot... it gives a nice subtle push straight back when fired.

Can't speak to JTS accuracy but the G2 30 has no problems in that department for sure. Once you put an aftermarket bottle band on it, that is!

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Holden,
Own First Generation Gauntlet and Airacuda Max, both .25. Can't speak to .30, but, as far as platforms go, Gauntlet is long and heavy, JTS Airacuda Max has quality control concerns. Search "Airacuda Max" in upper right corner of page (Search Bar) for clarification of QC concerns. Would choose Gauntlet over Max based on power and shot count, bottle beats tube, .30 is a thirsty caliber. WM

I have the gauntlet 30 and the accuracy is only ok to 35 yards, not happy with the purchase.

.300 sized 64 grain Griffin slugs and I'm hitting small metal spinners at 120 yards easily. JSB 44.75 with the power turned down a bit and it punches a hole at 50 yards and a little bit of a larger hole at 75. Something ain't right with your gun or your ammo.

Have you tried adjusting the hammer spring via the allen key on the back of the stock? It will shoot between 70 - 125 fpe depending on your adjustment and ammo. I can tell you it does not like the 50.15 grain JSB pellets though... stick with 44.75 or Hades.

.300 sized 64 grain Griffin slugs and I'm hitting small metal spinners at 120 yards easily. JSB 44.75 with the power turned down a bit and it punches a hole at 50 yards and a little bit of a larger hole at 75. Something ain't right with your gun or your ammo.

Have you tried adjusting the hammer spring via the allen key on the back of the stock? It will shoot between 70 - 125 fpe depending on your adjustment and ammo. I can tell you it does not like the 50.15 grain JSB pellets though... stick with 44.75 or Hades.
Yes have tried hammer spring adj, fx44.8, fx50.2, vortex, polymag, airboss, atomic, hades, jsb44&50, nsa sample pack, not 1 dam thing better than 2" @ 35 yards, checked and polished barrel, truly a mediocre rifle, nothing loose , probably barrel with no way to fix without spending money i haven't got.

Yes have tried hammer spring adj, fx44.8, fx50.2, vortex, polymag, airboss, atomic, hades, jsb44&50, nsa sample pack, not 1 dam thing better than 2" @ 35 yards, checked and polished barrel, truly a mediocre rifle, nothing loose , probably barrel with no way to fix without spending money i haven't got.

You should contact Umarex and ask for an exchange, or a new barrel. That's far from typical performance.

I have the Cuda Max 30, it is gorgeous and after two tins through it I haven't had one problem. I think it's one of the newer ones because i took the stock off and it has the venting ports that I've heard people doing to their stocks. I got it from New England Air guns and now there out of them they still have the .22 and .25's in-stock but not the .30 I would probably be leery of getting it from the Pyramyd because it might be one of the old ones before they fixed em. I'd wait and see or call New England and see if and when there gonna get more in. I've only taken it out to 50yds but that's all i need where I'm at. I've only used the JTS dead centers but if it warms up anytime soon i have the FX hybrid 44.5 grain slugs to see what it will do and I have many JSB 44.75 DiabOlo's that I have for another unit, just haven't tried them yet. The pic attached is me at 50yds on a 25 degree day shivering and the high one is me hurrying,,,lol that's an eight inch target. I think the cold opened up my groups more than the Cuda. It's not the best group but I think that was me. I fill it to 3500+ but not by much and I get two mags (14) before it's 100 psi above the reg. I have a 3Liter bottle filled to 4500 and I can get four fills so it works great. I don't know how heavy the Umarex is but this guy is pretty heavy. Beautiful gun though and mine has been flawless so far. CudaMax30@50.jpg

Attachments

• Cuda 1.jpg
    Cuda 1.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I just watched a impressive Youtube video on the Gauntlet 30 SL.
Very accurate, and shot JSB lights (44 grain), and JSB heavies (50 grain), with same accuracy.
Im not very found of the looks, but the price, power and accuracy was very impressive.
Looks like a winner.
P.S. There are also companies that make adjustable regulator's for it, as well as several other options, if your so inclined, but its performance was very impressive to me, right out of the box.

Reactions: 17dean
Have only seen gen1 gauntlet's (so no .30 at all) but if outside measurements have not changed a gauntlet will fit any QB stock with slight work. Need to make a bit of clearance for the bottle, likely need to change the stock bolt or add washers. That;s it.
Some must know if the .30 gen 2's are the same as the gen 1 or not. I would like to know.
Gen 1 gauntlet in a modeed QB78 stock:
QB stock.JPG

You could use any QB stock and it does make a large difference in weight yet somehow the balance is great, I thought it might be front heavy but it is not.

John

Have only seen gen1 gauntlet's (so no .30 at all) but if outside measurements have not changed a gauntlet will fit any QB stock with slight work. Need to make a bit of clearance for the bottle, likely need to change the stock bolt or add washers. That;s it.
Some must know if the .30 gen 2's are the same as the gen 1 or not. I would like to know.
Gen 1 gauntlet in a modeed QB78 stock:
View attachment 423976
You could use any QB stock and it does make a large difference in weight yet somehow the balance is great, I thought it might be front heavy but it is not.

John
30 Gauntlet side lever with a wood stock = airgun thorn!
(Wont let me correctly spell the word I was wanting to use!)
Looks like Pyramyd is the only one that stocks the .30 and .357 versions.
Oh well....
Who needs a air gun that generates 140 foot pounds of energy anyway?
I do! I do!
Where did you source a spare QB78 stock?