• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gauntlet Accuracy

Hello everyone, 

My name is Tony. I have been reading these forums for months, soaking up as much information as possible in anticipation of picking up a new PCP rifle for pest control. I have been shooting powder burners for decades, but wanted something more neighbor friendly for the back yard. 

I was super excited about picking up an Umarex Gauntlet in .25. However, I and am concerned about it's accuracy. I have watched a lot of videos and read numerous reports of hole-in-hole accuracy at close ranges. I was hoping to see this with my rifle, but have been disappointed so far.

I tried 3 different pellets at 15 yards in the basement. Benjamin domes produced roughly 3 inch groups. H+N baracudas did only slightly better. The best grouping were the JSB 25.39 exact. Group sizes fluctuated, but averaged about a half inch overall.

1579313749_18461532015e226a55346ae8.23657271_20200117_204408.jpg

Velocities seemed pretty consistent, right around 870 FPS.

1579313836_4878760975e226aacbe1989.26255350_15793138142452671309285513791602.jpg

I went over the rifle from top to bottom. I adjusted the trigger. Tightened and aligned barrel (was so loose it was almost falling out). I also shot it with the shroud on and off, to see if it made any difference (made no difference). The o-ring on air stripper was so small it did not contact shroud, so I added an appropriately sized one and that did not improve accuracy either. Triple checked scope fitment.

The only thing I can think to look at now would be the barrel itself. I did a basic barrel cleaning before shooting. I know that breech and crown issues can cause poor accuracy, but I have never tackled these before.

Can someone please point me in the right direction in terms of how to check and potentially repair my barrel? Is there any other obvious issue I'm overlooking?

I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Well you haven't tried too many pellets as yet and I see nothing about any tuning. You need to shoot the right pellet at the right speed to get the best accuracy from your gun. Since the JSB's are doing best I would try tuning with them. Adjust your power output to max then down a few fps at a time until you get your best group.

Try these videos for more information mods and tuning for your gun.

https://hajimotoproductions.com/index.php/installation-videos/gauntlet-mods-and-tweaks/

Thanks guys,

I can try getting some different pellets. Maybe it's pellet picky, but I didn't expect it to perform so poorly with the Benjamin and H+N. Looked like a shotgun even though velocities were consistent.

Confirmed no parallax. I used the Hawke airmax that I had on my old R7. The R7 will do dime sized groups at the same range. I am hoping the Gauntlet will be able to match that somehow. 

Foregrip is clear of shroud/barrel. I tried it with shroud on and off. No difference in accuracy. I think there might be an issue at the breech, pellets are really hard to seat. I have to almost slam bolt forward to seat pellets. JSB were a little easier because they are softer. I'm thinking pellets are possibly getting deformed upon seating.

Will try single loading.

Just wanted to post a follow up. I did the following.

Changed out the scope and rings.

Checked bolt and barrel o-rings with tissue. No leaks found.

Single loaded pellets instead of magazine fed.

Cleaned barrel again.

Re-checked all fasteners. 

Shot again with shroud on and off.

Results were as follows with the JSB 25.39. Average of 6 groups was 0.48 inches at 15 yards. It was interesting to me that the velocities were pretty darn consistent. I took a few quick shots with the other 2 pellet types and they still produced a shotgun effect. It was a bit easier to seat pellets with the single loader tray, but accuracy did not improve at all. My best guess is that I received a lemon barrel.

1579362784_20354571115e2329e0846f97.26754251_20200118_102902.jpg

1579362866_6129879465e232a32017a40.84221468_20200118_102947.jpg

I really appreciate the input guys. I will be returning rifle, but I am hooked on PCP rifles for sure. Will consider saving up for a Hajimoto Gauntlet as they really seem to be a turn-key solution. I would gladly pay more to avoid these headaches moving forward. 

Thank you!

PCP's don't get more accurate with more shots other than the regulator smoothing out and yours looks consistent. Besides, velocity variance isn't going to make much difference at all at 15 yards.

Check the crown and the rifling. Check the breech too for any defects. Please take pics and post here.

Did you remove the shroud and tighten the barrel set screws and shroud retainer set screw? Did you grease the barrel centering o-ring and snug the shroud down well? Does yours have the spring and cone pack inside the shroud?

Yes. You should return it.

If you are going to spend more, check the classified adverts here and on other forums. You can find good deals on very good used airguns that will be quite accurate.

Yes I went over the barrel and shroud connections multiple times. Yes greased the o-ring too. Tried shooting with the shroud on and off and it made no difference whatsoever in accuracy. Will order some different pellets and will have a friend I trust take a look at the crown and breech. 

If that doesn't work l will probably return and try another rifle. Maybe another gauntlet, maybe save up for something a bit more expensive. The Daystate Regal XL looks pretty sharp. Thanks so much.