Gauntlet .30 testing results [pellets, slugs, etc] review and discussion thread

Thanks to kaylaindy here in the classifieds, I got my hands on an early release Umarex Guantlet 2 .30 caliber.

Gauntlet-30.1651269885.jpg

Came in the mail today. Mounted a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x scope and it was a 2 shot sight in at 50 yards.

Also put on a DonnyFL "FX" moderator, which is the only one I have in 30 caliber. Stole it off my AEA HP SS 30+ which I suppose can go unmoderated now, in light of the new acquisition. I did not shoot the gun without a moderator on it, so I can't (yet) tell you how much louder it would be. However, it's still got a bit of volume to it even with the LDC. Backyard friendly? In my back yard, "quiet" enough. In yours -- depends on your neighbors. They'll know you're shooting some kind of gun for sure. Maybe a Sumo or bigger moderator would quiet it down, but even the sound of the pellet/slug and impact is noticeable with this.

I put maybe 100 rounds through it this afternoon. So these are early impressions, and I plan to update this thread as I spend more time with it and experiment further.

First impressions-- so it's a bit darker and greener than my .25 caliber Guantlet 2. I loved that gun so much I was certain I wouldn't be disappointed with the G2 30. So far so good. The only noticeable differences besides that are:

1. It has a more significant barrel band
2. The bolt action is longer / more travel (and I dare say perhaps smoother operation)
3. There is a hammer spring adjustment that takes an allen key. I have not touched this yet -- but I will be soon and will give results!
4. Of course it has the threads for a moderator on the barrel

So I started with the 44.75 grain FX pellets. I did not bother to take out the crony today, but I will soon. The trigger is the same as the Guantlet 2 .25 so I was hitting bullseye at 50 yards with ease. Pulled a few shots but the gun clearly shot exactly where it was pointed.

Shot a few magazines of that, going back and forth between seeing how it grouped at 50 yards and smacking metal targets at 50 and 75 yards. It really smacked those metal spinners like a boss. Hitting the tiny spinners was no issue. Accurate just like my G2 25 but a whole different league of laying down the smack.

So I took out my box of FX Hybrid Slugs in 44.5 grain. I had low expectations for this. And they were a little tough to cram into the breech. But, to my surprise I was right on target! Zero change in point of impact. Shot a 7 shot group and they shot just as well as the pellets.

So then I took out my bag of NSA 47.2 grain cup based hollow point slugs. These actually went into the beech pretty well. Good enough to load into the magazine. Bullseye. Same hole. Same hole. Same hole. Stretched it out to 75 yards... 2 shots touching each other. Zero point of impact change at 75 yards . Then blasted some metal spinners. Knocked one right out of the ground. YES!!!

Just to wrap this up, it seems like this gun LOVES slugs and in some cases shoots them even better than pellets.

One last thing to mention for now, it seemed like I got slightly better air efficiency with the slugs as well. With the pellets I was getting close to the 2800 psi regulator with 2 magazines. With the slugs I shot 3 magazines comfortably (21 shots). In further testing I will see how the shot curve goes when you fall off the reg. I suspect it will still be quite powerful and accurate for a decent # of shots under the reg, but we'll see.

Any questions, let me know. I'm going on vacation for a few days but I'll get the chrony out, mess around with the hammer spring, different ammo, etc when I get back.

WOW! Great to hear this. Looks like you a real shooter there.

I'm seriously looking at the G2 .30 for my next gun. I have a G2 in .22 right now, and I love it.

I'm interested in seeing the chrono numbers for the NSA slugs. They must hit like a hammer.

I'll be following this. Thanks for sharing!

Heading home from the vacation tomorrow and I should be able to do chrony tests with the 44.5 & 50 JSBs plus the FX slugs and NSA 47.2s. I think this gun will be good for slugs up to maybe 70 grains, but we'll find out!

Right after I get those basic numbers down I'm gonna see what kind of shots per fill vs power it can bring with the hammer spring adjustment.

One of those vacations where "it's been nice, but I'm ready to go home" ;)

Reactions: mike_k10
JSB 44.75 grain pellets -- 1015 fps -- 102.4 fpe

JSB 50.15 grain pellets -- 985 fps -- 108 fpe

FX 45.5 grain Hybrid Slugs --1001 fps -- 99 fpe (not magazine friendly, you have to cram them in)

NSA 47.2 grain dish base .30 slugs -- 991 fps -- 102.9 fpe (magazine friendly with a little push)

The moderator works so there's no point in doing shot strings. It's give or take a few feet per second.

No adjustments on the hammer spring yet.

I think from what we're seeing already, if you want more power from this gun, you can likely step up to a heavier ammo. But I'm very pleased with the performance of the 50.15 grain JSBs.

The Gauntlet2 is an awesome gun but I can't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't have incorporated a side lever. IMO would have made the gun way more enjoyable to shoot.

I've never shot a side level air rifle! It sure looks smooth on those FX models and the other ones.

I'm not sure how well it works if you need to jam some tight fitting ammo in there -- which is a feature of both my .25 and .30 Gauntlet 2's.

Maybe the big bolt it better for brute force? Or it's just cost cutting on R & D... which I'm ok with considering this gun undercuts even the competition from AEA (not to say it outperforms the AEAs except maybe in accuracy, but that depends on the shooter!)

Tested the hammer spring adjustment today. It appears you can get a little more power turning clockwise. You can also tune it down quite a bit turning it counter clockwise.

FX 44.8 grain

Stock 998 fps

1 turn CW 1014 fps

2 turns CW 1015 fps

1 turn CCW 991 fps

2 turns CCW 945 fps

3 turns CCW (max) 873 fps

JSB 50.15 max turns CW 995 fps ... hit the 110 fpe mark

Also, the gun is much quieter when you turn it down, and has more bark when you turn it up (although for pretty small gains if really anything)

I'll have to see how frugal the gun is on air shooting it at minimum, because 873 fps is a nice speed for backyard plinking.

A great modification to this gun, that I'm sure somebody will create, would be to adjust this externally with fingers rather than using an allen key.

My dudes,

Turned down is The Way with the Guantlet .30

Unless you're hunting or maybe uber long distance.

I wanted to see how many shots per fill I would get on the low setting ( 873 fps with FX 44.75 grain )

Instead of 3 magazines on the regulator, I got easily 6 magazines ( 42 shots ), and I'm pretty sure I could have squeaked out another half of one. 42 shots from 4500 psi to 2900 psi

Now maybe you can shoot better, and you probably can, but for me this is amazing especially for a first test and getting used to the gun.

20220505_182232.1651789762.jpg

60 yards tonight. 7 shot groups (full mag). A couple of these groups look funny. The one on the top right, that's a tight 6 shot hole with 1 flier you can see to the right of it.

The one lower/middle on the right, that's one ragged hole. The "flier" there you can see making it's own hole slightly below was actually me messing with the scope and I was pissed I screwed up the otherwise perfect group.

Anyway... low power is the way. Backyard quiet too. The accuracy definitely tightens up and the gun shoots mellow.

Spent a couple days more shooting this. My wife got to shoot it plenty as well.

As of now, I like turning the power up for the slugs and down for pellets. I was testing point of impact change at 60 yards this evening using FX 44.5, JSB 50.15 & NSA 47.2

At this distance the higher power makes them fly a touch higher but well under MOA.

As far as accuracy, if you're competing with your wife on paper, you'll want to turn down the power all the way for pellets and up to normal for the relatively light NSA slugs. My wife beat me with the best group with the pellets on low power tonight. But I got 3 slugs in the same exact hole on high power.

Nice to come out both winners this evening.

Got NSA slugs in the mail. Doing some quick chrony tests before the thunderstorm hits.

One thing I'll note. I was adjusting the hammer spring clockwise to make sure I had it on max power. Before it stopped turning after a few turns. It kept going this time. Not sure why. But I turned it a few extra turns and took a shot. Very fast velocity on my 44.5 grain FX test pellet, 1042 FPS -- but the gun dumped all it's air right afterwards. A little dramatic and unexpected. Went to pump it and it was leaking through the barrel. Cocked the gun and it let me pump it.

Anyway, I guess the stopper on that bolt is no longer in effect. I suggest keeping it close to stock for "max". Stock is about 4 turns in from minimum, max is about 6 turns (which doesn't make a huge difference anyway).

I'll be doing this testing at about 4-5 turns in from minimum, which should give just about full power #s

47.2g 998 fps 104.4 fpe
49.5g 970 fps 103.4 fpe
54.5g 942 fps 109.4 fpe
61.5g 900 fps 110.6 fpe

The larger slugs did take more effort to jam into the breech. Apparently the larger surface contact area (not just diameter) can make that more difficult. It's doable, but not sure if it's going to be a wear & tear situation on the gun. I would only put the smaller slugs in the magazine, seems better to single load the larger ones.

Anyway... I'm also getting 110 FPE with JSB 50.15 pellets. When there's no thunderstorms around I'll do some accuracy testing on the slugs. But I might very well decide JSB 50.15 are the ammo of choice for this gun. I've been getting incredible accuracy (bullseyes) at 75 yards with FX 44.5 grain pellets too. Having gotten used to shooting the gun more, I think my accuracy with the pellets is 99% as good at full power (1000fps) compared to low power (875 fps). Surprising results but shooting with a flatter trajectory seems to compensate.

What I'm going to look for is which one of these slugs is the one that shoots in the same exact spot at the JSB pellets. I don't want to adjust my scope going back and forth for ammo. So whichever one has the right point of impact and groups best will be the winner for me.

Reactions: durbs75
Last few days I've had this tuned down to one turn up from minimum on the hammer spring adjustments. So about 875 fps shooting FX 44.5. So far I've had slightly better luck with the FX than the JSB but that could totally be a fluke since I'm mostly using up these FX tins first anyway.

So tuned like this I'm going back and forth between the G2 30 and my G2 25 shooting JSB MK2 Heavies. It's a close call which one groups tighter at 70+ yards. But the fact that this 30 is even competitive with it to me is amazing. The JSB .25 MK2 Heavies are the greatest pellet ever created IMO. JSB needs to redesign their junk 50.15 grain pellets in the same shape as the .25 MK2 Heavies and I'm sure that will be the one pellet to rule them all.

It's a heck of a gun. Killed some groundhogs off hand using JSB Hades and single shot tray. You won't see me putting this up on classifieds section!

Comparing the trigger on my Guantlet 2 .25 to the 30

The .25 I consider a little spongy, or creepy. If you pull it half way, and then let up, the trigger stays half way. Which can make reconsidering your shot a little tricky because you're not starting with a fresh trigger pull. I can also feel a little bit of friction during the pull.

The Guantlet 30 trigger is much better, even though it looks the same. Smoother all through the travel, feels almost like a 2 stage trigger. And you can let up the travel and it goes back with your finger smoothly.

I would say that I would like to do a trigger job on the .25 some day when I have the time, but the .30 needs no improvement at all.

This is a great thread and information. I’m an Airforce shooter but this Gauntlet .30 has my attention as a great utility rifle. All of the tuning and ammo information is what I’ve been looking for, for a while now.

Not many people have done reviews on this rifle yet and it’s been out for about 6 weeks now. Thank you for the work you’ve put in and I look forward to seeing more results and info!

Reactions: silvershooter589
This is a great thread and information. I’m an Airforce shooter but this Gauntlet .30 has my attention as a great utility rifle. All of the tuning and ammo information is what I’ve been looking for, for a while now.

Not many people have done reviews on this rifle yet and it’s been out for about 6 weeks now. Thank you for the work you’ve put in and I look forward to seeing more results and info!

Glad to hear it. I have some of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/334485262963 on the way. 68 grain boat tail slugs that are supposedly designed to more easily go into the Gauntlet breech. Maybe magazine friendly, we'll see. I'll come back and let you know when they arrive in a day or two.

Glad to hear it. I have some of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/334485262963 on the way. 68 grain boat tail slugs that are supposedly designed to more easily go into the Gauntlet breech. Maybe magazine friendly, we'll see. I'll come back and let you know when they arrive in a day or two.
If you like those Bob's boat tails you should checkout Apex Ammo. He's a sponsor here and super good to deal with. He has them in hollow points and different diameters as well. https://apexairgunammo.com/

Reactions: silvershooter589
If you like those Bob's boat tails you should checkout Apex Ammo. He's a sponsor here and super good to deal with. He has them in hollow points and different diameters as well. https://apexairgunammo.com/

Cool.... I thought Apex was a bit more but I just loaded 300 slugs into the cart with shipping and it was basically the same price. I had some Apex ammo for my 357 Challenger that seemed to be very good quality.

Follow up review on the Ebay slugs