• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Gauge question

The liquid is usually glycerin. There should be a rubber plug on the backside. I didn't like the bubbles on most gauges so fill it up to remove the bubbles. Bad! I found out that you have to have a small bubble or the pressure readings will be off. So I remove the plug and let out some glycerin. Your gauge may be too full if you don't have a small bubble and heat -> pressure pushed some liquid out.

Does it hurt to dump most of it out? I find it very annoying and it makes it difficult to take readings depending on the orientation of the face of the gauge.
The glycerin is to keep the needle from shaking when a gauge is mounted on a machine that vibrates. It won't harm anything to remove it if that's your preference. They shouldn't leak glycerin if the rubber plug is intact. You can buy glycerin at any drugstore.

Here’s a good description from a reliable source as to when a glycerine filled gauge should be used.
Typically it is on machinery that vibrates. Other than possible bumps when handling our SCBA tanks, vibration during re-filling the tank or filling the air gun, vibration is for all practical purposes non-existant during those processes.
Liquid filled gauges are often used where not necessary. It’s like replacing the spark plug wires on your favorite car with silicone or some other hi-tec wires. It doesn’t affect performance one bit.