• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Gas/spring piston guns and slugs, long term?

I'm thinking pellets are best overall for springers, just as far as the sealing aspect of things. I was hoping for more ammo choices for the big magnums, but flat or thick dish base slugs aren't optimal choices. I'm not aware of any hybrid options in .177, aside from the semi cylindrical JSB 10.3gr, 13.4gr, 16gr or the now gone H&N sniper line of pellets. Maybe the JSB Knock Outs, but I've yet to handle them. Most photos of them are difficult to tell what they have, as far as the base goes.

I'm thinking pellets are best overall for springers, just as far as the sealing aspect of things. I was hoping for more ammo choices for the big magnums, but flat or thick dish base slugs aren't optimal choices. I'm not aware of any hybrid options in .177, aside from the semi cylindrical JSB 10.3gr, 13.4gr, 16gr or the now gone H&N sniper line of pellets. Maybe the JSB Knock Outs, but I've yet to handle them. Most photos of them are difficult to tell what they have, as far as the base goes.
NSA makes many types for the .177

Reactions: Just Zack 2
I know Zero about Hatsans but Weihrauch has a choked breech area that sizes a pellet down to sizes that are some times too small for even skirted pellets. If Hatsan are similar barrels and loosen up past the breech slugs would seal badly. You can check the barrel by pushing a slug or pellet through it with a rod. That's called slugging a barrel in the PB world. I use a long brazing rod to slug barrels. It will tell you where the barrels tight or loose. Someone here posted a great video on the process.
I believe we have talked before, not from this forum but elsewhere regarding barrel straightening... Anyway, this particular Hatsan 135 vortex has a fairly uniform barrel. I do have a second H135 springer that does have a tight spot in the breech area, that leads up badly every 40 shots or so. Seems when they press the barrel into the breech block this can cause issues, further aggravated by pellet velocities above 1000fps. Eventually I'll try to polish that out, but with Crosman 10.5gr Piranha pellets the gun is capable of about .25" groups out to 30 yards (~1020fps @ muzzle). Beyond 40 yards things start to open up...

Reactions: Mycapt65