Garmin Chronograph

Simply put, it’s easy to set up, small and mine hasn’t missed a shot.

Cons….the only thing I don’t like is that although it will communicate with the phone app, it doesn’t do it during the shot string and doesn’t call out velocities after the shot. This is something the fx does that’s nice. Not a big deal but nice.

The device itself does software updates from time to time on the device itself, hopefully they will add this feature sometime in the future.

Dave

I agree! I have been using the Garmin since November. I love it! I have owened five differnt ones since the late Seventies. I still have the FX chrono but almost exclusively use the Garmin now. It is so small and handy. the FX works and the audio is nice but its a battery burner! I also shoot alot of PB from the 1860s to high velocity. The Garmin does it all with ease and battery life is great and rechargable.
At our indoor range using a chrono has been problimatic. picking up other shooters shots. the FX works for airguns indoor but all others for PB no go! The Garmin works great.I can have a shooter in the next booth shooting a 9mm and not mess up my string. If my friend is in the nest booth shooting airgun it will pickup his shoots as well. I believe becaause it is in the range of the parameters I have the Garmin set at. Its so easy to set up and point in the general direction you are shooting and it works. not critical aiming issue like some chronos. You have to end your string then you can go to the string in your phone and edit. Put in any notes you want like pellet/slug name weight etc.

Reactions: sb327
What would you give up if you couldn't have the phone app? (I don't mind getting the app, so please don't start down that road, but I try to pick my hardware so future changes (mine or somebody else's) in app stuff don't obsolete what I've got.) Can you still download shot strings to a PC? How's the display in bright (very, very, bright) sunlight? Inquiring minds want to know...

GsT

Doesn’t it not do any more than the FX chrono ? I thought I saw that in a video. If so how can you justify 600 ?? To me that is kind of insane.
For me…..the Garmin is dependable and the fx just is not. My fx has been hit/miss from day one and is way too particular on how it is aimed. The Garmin also has a screen built in and battery (rechargeable) lasts a long time on a charge.

Kinda like the difference between an L2 and an AEA…

Just my experience with BOTH chronographs.

Dave

Reactions: Dairyboy
I've had one for a month and am very happy with it. I don't think it has missed a single shot. I have 1 criticism that you other users maybe able to help me with.
Each shot string has to be deleted one at a time - there is no clear all. So you either have to clear it after each one or at the end of your day. First time I did it there were 36 strings to delete. Any help out there?

Now that the Garmin has been out for a while I'm looking for feedback from people that have used them.
As previously mentioned the Garmin is more reliable, it does not miss shots. If all you use are air guns, it may be harder to justify the cost difference compared to the original FX chronograph. Since I also reload for powder burners the FX alone will not work for me. I got the Garmin for my powder burners but now use it exclusively. I like that it lets me tune airguns for velocity and accuracy simultaneously. Hangin a FX chronograph off an air rifle barrel does effect the accuracy.

Reactions: sb327