Garmin bringing it!

Credits to Airgun Wire

others have started threads on this but it should be available within 5-6 weeks so i want to hear everyone chime in who is in the know.

Garmin Shakes Up Chronography​

December 6, 2023 By Tom McHale

What’s not new: affordable chronographs capable of accurately measuring the velocity of a pellet or slug.
What is new: a chronograph device that does all that, but is also the size of a pellet tin and weighs not much more than an empty one.
The engineers at Garmin have expanded their horizons from dominating anything GPS and entered the ballistic world. The new Garmin Xero C1 Pro is a shooting chronograph and, oh, so much more. Two design features will cause this one to shake up the airgun (and firearms) world.

Last edited:
This product has been out for several weeks now. Used Labradars are now selling at $300. I picked up a Labradar for $250 from a friend.

The Garmin seems to be the superior portable tool for muzzle velocity only. But it doesn’t give any downrange velocity like a LabRadar. For airgunning the downrange velocity is very useful.

This product has been out for several weeks now. Used Labradars are now selling at $300. I picked up a Labradar for $250 from a friend.

The Garmin seems to be the superior portable tool for muzzle velocity only. But it doesn’t give any downrange velocity like a LabRadar. For airgunning the downrange velocity is very useful.
i have never considered the downrange velocity? but of course i am learning everyday and always like trying to learn new things.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
i have never considered the downrange velocity? but of course i am learning everyday and always like trying to learn new things.
Yeah the Labrador does that well. Its cool because you can know your exact BC for a given condition/ammo. There was a rumor a couple of tears ago that FX was working on adding it into their chrono but it seems that was just a rumor.

Reactions: dgeesaman
$600 gives me a good buy on a used Labradar that will be for sale from one of the guys that just has to have this one .
Hang out among the centerfire shooters who want easy, accurate muzzle velocity. They are happily trading in their clunky LabRadars for the Garmin. And LabRadar Bluetooth is really unreliable.

With downrange Labradar velocities I find I do need to carefully review the data and crop out any suspect numbers. Some shots register valid velocities out to 100, some don’t. Some shots record a couple velocities at longer range that are equal (which is impossible).

I suspect there is Garmin grass-is-greener effect, such that its true ease of use and reliability are just beginning to show.

It would be great if LabRadar has an improved version on the way but who knows. Maybe 2024 SHOT show will introduce more capable or lower cost options.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Look what came in the mail today! I only had time to set it up and take about 20 shots with the Notos. Super simple and it didn't miss a shot. It did however interrupt my first session with a software update, but even that was quick. Paired quickly with the phone app. My only chrono, so I have nothing to compare it to.
IMG_5186.jpg
IMG_5187.jpg

I haven’t got to do much long term testing but I’m initially VERY PLEASED with mine. Plinking various targets over a wide area with my gk1, it didn’t miss a single shot in a little over 100 shots. It is not picky at all on the setup. Very easy and intuitive.

The app is ok for viewing a string/session but it doesn’t display real time. You have to end the session on the device before the app can see/display the data. It would be neat to see the string displayed as you are shooting. Maybe there is a way to do it but I haven’t figured it out. Has anyone else?

Dave

I haven’t got to do much long term testing but I’m initially VERY PLEASED with mine. Plinking various targets over a wide area with my gk1, it didn’t miss a single shot in a little over 100 shots. It is not picky at all on the setup. Very easy and intuitive.

The app is ok for viewing a string/session but it doesn’t display real time. You have to end the session on the device before the app can see/display the data. It would be neat to see the string displayed as you are shooting. Maybe there is a way to do it but I haven’t figured it out. Has anyone else?

Dave
I have been enjoying mine but i haven't had enough play time with it... only did some quick fps checks with several different FT platforms and it was spot on.

Aside from price difference, probably just my own hesitation to buy (roll the dice) on another FX branded chrono. The one I have is lousy at capturing shots (I tried all the tricks to make it more dependable). I know the new ones are supposed to be more dependable but I just can’t get over having been burned by the brand.

BC is not that important to me, dependable is. I guess that’s why I went with the Garmin.

Dave

Reactions: Centercut