Garden Thief to Table

I caught this bugger in the act raiding my vegetable garden. I usually don't see any in my area as their natural predator do a good job keeping their numbers in check but this year they have exploded in numbers. I ran to my nearest PCP and that was the P35 In 177 loaded with Crosman Piranha going 960 fps, drilled a hole all the way through the brain box. It flipped backwards and was drt. I cleaned it, soaked it in a brine then stewed it and wow, it really tasted like chicken.

R1.jpg

r2.jpg

@Spike_9 Nicely done. Eating some now. It would be nice to have a recipe forum. What did you do, bake it whole or boil it before stewing? What type of seasoning did you use or did you use any after brining? How long did you soak it?
I soaked it for 36 hours with water, salt, whole mustard seeds and apple cider vinegar. That is what you see out of the bag. I then separated it into 6 pieces, quickly browned the meat in butter then set the pieces aside. I sauteed the garlic, mushrooms, carrots and onions in olive oil fallowed by deglazing the pan with chicken stock. I used salt, pepper, thyme, fresh rosemary, mustard and cayenne pepper to taste. I put raw sweet cubed potatoes and the meat on top of the veggies and filled it with enough chicken stock to cover the meat. I let it simmer on low heat for 8 hours. For a meat with hardly any fat, it was quite tender and it's texture was very close to chicken.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I caught this bugger in the act raiding my vegetable garden. I usually don't see any in my area as their natural predator do a good job keeping their numbers in check but this year they have exploded in numbers. I ran to my nearest PCP and that was the P35 In 177 loaded with Crosman Piranha going 960 fps, drilled a hole all the way through the brain box. It flipped backwards and was drt. I cleaned it, soaked it in a brine then stewed it and wow, it really tasted like chicken.

View attachment 267725

View attachment 267726
Great meal.

I soaked it for 36 hours with water, salt, whole mustard seeds and apple cider vinegar. That is what you see out of the bag. I then separated it into 6 pieces, quickly browned the meat in butter then set the pieces aside. I sauteed the garlic, mushrooms, carrots and onions in olive oil fallowed by deglazing the pan with chicken stock. I used salt, pepper, thyme, fresh rosemary, mustard and cayenne pepper to taste. I put raw sweet cubed potatoes and the meat on top of the veggies and filled it with enough chicken stock to cover the meat. I let it simmer on low heat for 8 hours. For a meat with hardly any fat, it was quite tender and it's texture was very close to chicken.
@Spike_9 Sounds like we did some similar things. I didn’t leave mine in brine for more than 2 hours and used white vinegar. Do you think leaving the meat in the brine that long is better? If so for what reason? I used some of the same seasonings and veggies. Yes, very lean and tender meat. I also slow cooked mine for 6-7 hours on low heat. I think I messed up by leaving a few pieces in the sauce pan too long during the browning process. This caused a few pieces to be drier than I like - mainly sections of the back straps. Your description is very accurate. Thank you for sharing.

Rabbit in my experience, is so lean that it is really easy to over cook and turn it into the texture of a rubber tire. I like to let it soak longer to give the acid in the vinegar more time to break down the mussel tissue and take the gaminess away. I've made rabbit before, but this was the best I've had it. I browned mine on a cast iron and 1-2 minutes on each side depending on how thick the chunks are.

Reactions: JJMoody