• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gamo Whisper Fusion .22 accuracy tests

So got out to the range this past weekend and was able to test 6 different brands of pellets. I observed some outstanding, some "ok" and some just plain terrible. My takeaway at the end of the day is that just because many shooters claim outstanding accuracy with "brand X" by NO means guarantees accuracy in my rifle. My tests were shot at 25 yds, using my benchrest and rear bag setup that I use to shoot 600 yd precision rifle. 5 shot groups, and very calm wind so my data is solid. 

1) Gamo Red Fire 15.4g 1.785" group

2) Crossman Copper Magnum domed 1.289" group

3) Ruger Superpoint 2.791" group

4) Gamo match Diablo flat point 1.141" group

5) Gamo Superpoint TS22 2.033" group

6) JSB exact jumbo monster 6.661"

I bought the JSB based upon the fact that they seem to work so well in rifles but they shot the worst by far in my Gamo, guess it is what it is. So the clear winner is the Gamo Flat points, followed by the Crossman domed, and a close third is the Gamo Red Fires. The only issue I observed with the Red Fires is the fact I observed projectile "tumbling" at 50 yds. Not sure why this was happening, but I plan on more testing to verify this is in fact happening. 

1557192247_2597580595cd0de375cb829.28183844_IMG_20190428_183202391.jpg
1557192267_8769819855cd0de4be94390.68376345_IMG_20190428_183151044_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the tips, I have read some info that the springer air rifles will respond differently with precision dependent on stock pressure points, so this method will be ongoing work in progress. Overall very happy with the rifle once I found some great shooting projectiles. Now it's on to "fine tuning" the loads and learning how to hold for best consistency.

Wow, interesting vid , you throw out every traditional fundamental rifle hold method when shooting springer air rifles ! Guess it's back to the range for more testing before melting down my poor shooting pellets for bullet casting ! LOL

Yes ! Give it another try. I dealt with the same issue you encountered. The more powerful the springer, the more better holding technique comes into play.

I have a Mach1 and never shoot off the bags without a hand between the rifle and stock and I have my index finger in the cocking arm cutout. With a springer or gas piston the real challenge is first shot accuracy. It took me 15000 pellets to learn how to shoot mine first shot accurate. I now use that same technique shooting my rimfires. IMO all rifles are hold sensitive to a degree. Springers are the most sensitive so if you can master shooting them the less sensitive will benefit as well only to a lesser degree. Even my .308 when shot in off the bags will hit several inches low at 100 yards if I rest the rifle in my hand or something soft like a jacket. Also something I have learned is my Gamo will not give me a true reading on a particular pellet shooting 50 or 100 pellets. The only way I can get an accurate read is to clean the rifle with a dry patch a few times and then shoot at least 250 pellets. To give you an example if I start with a clean barrel and shoot CPHP and then H and N FTT 14.6 gr the heavier H and N pellets will impact 1.6" higher at 12 yards. After I shoot 300 CPHP if I slip a few H and N's in they will impact in the group of CPHP's. If I continue the H and N FTT will start hitting high again. I have a PCP that puts the first shot spot on but I shoot the Gamo 20 pellets to every one in the Mrod simply because I enjoy a challenge.

I am not surprised that the pointed pellets gave large groups. I am a little surprised that the JSB's were over 6". Were they loose when loading them?

FWIW, my Crosman NP .177 was giving me fits a couple weeks back trying to get a consistent POI. H&N FTT's seem to be the best that grouped so I was sending hundreds of them downrange to practice on some tighter groups. I was using the artillary hold.

I switched it up, and as others have said, putting the bag/rest under the balance point of the stock seemed to help a lot, but I was off by a few inches still in some shots (more than just fliers). I then modified my hold around my thumb-hold grip and pulled the butt of my stock into my shoulder with about 10 pounds of pressure. Groups immediately came in dime-sized patterns.

I see it a lot here, and I just think every gun is different. One hold or one pellet that works for shooter #1 might be completely different for the next person. The only things that seem to be consistent (on average, not always) is that H&N, AA and JSB make nice pellets. Daisy makes complete crap pellets. Crosmans have mixed results. But variations of all of the above seem common.

I have probably a dozen different kinds of pellets sitting in my storage room right now and half of them will probably become new fishing anchors.

PT