Gamo urban vs high end springer

I currently have a gamo urban .22 that is super accurate. I can hit golf balls at 50 yards with ease, and even consistently hit a 2.5 inch spinner at 75 yards plus on calm days! 
although I love the gun, it is still a pcp.

My question is will a high end springer do this as easily with some time? PCPs are nice but when you need the gun quick or are going to a hunting camp, the pump and that isn’t always practical! I have seen some reviews on the hw95 and they seem to be super accurate, Some even shooting them ti 100 yards! 

please tell me your thoughts and experiences !!

I dont think you will ever get accuracy in any springer as good as the Gamo urban at 75 yards..... 35 yards yup 40 maybe 50 doubtful anything more than that is unlikely. Now don't get me wrong there are folks doing OK at 75 yards with springers just not quite as tight of groups. I love springers but generally use them 40 and in for target use and 30 and in for hunting. There are folks that shoot much better than me that might have better results so your mileage may very. Just my experience here. I have the Gamo btw great gun. I get the same groups with mine. 

Raden is spot on with his comments. My first pellet gun was a Gamo Hunter .177. It was very accurate up to about 40 yards and I shot hundreds of ground squirrels with it. I later bought a Hatsan QE Vortex .25 very powerful but only accurate up to about 40 yards. I then got a Beeman R9 .22. Much smoother shot cycle and still accurate to about 40 yards. Springers are my go to small varmit guns because they are quick and easy to use, but for distance I pull out one of my PCP's.

My hw95 shoots golf ball groups at 20 yards. The accuracy with that gun, at least for me, has been disappointing. And I don't think its shooter error, either. I say that because I'm shooting off a bench and my new TX200 shoots much better. .2-.3 inch groups at 17 yards (basement length). I will be shocked if you are satisfied with the hw95 accuracy after being used to a PCP. 

when you need the gun quick and quiet the pcp wins to, and even if you got a quick yank on a barrel with usually alot of spring and mechanical noise and fumbling trying to stick a pellet in a springer 'as fast' as picking up a pcp and thumb levering the bolt back nice and quiet, that cold shot on a springer is likely gonna be a foot off .. even at close range like 15 20 yards ... thats why i dont use springers .. we're not playing games when somethings out there after the chickens or something, its gettin straightened out 1,2,3 ...

If you need power then a pcp is the way to go, but if a 15-16 fpe energy is all you need then your springer is great !!! I have both a .22 R1 and my 177 TX200, neither is off when shot cold by a great amount, mabey a half inch at best....my neighbors pcp does the same exact thing. My R1 will shoot sub one inch groups at 50 yds and my TX will do sub 3/4" at 50 and do sub one inch at 75 yds. When I competed with my TX 200, I won a couple shootoffs at 50 yds at 12 gage shotgun shells offhand !!! So....how much power you need and at what distance ?? Each gun has a purpose, what are your needs ?

An RWS 54 will match that Gamo at 75 yards. This springer has this accuracy because there is very little recoil compared to other springers due to its sled system. Also, they put out more energy than most springers (about 22-24 fpe). The only gripe people have is the weight. It’s a 9 lb gun with out the scope. Doesn’t bother me at all. 

Just a thought here.

Try not to get too hung up on the 50+ yard hype. Part of hunting with an airgun is the ability to actually stalk ones prey. Yeah,it takes a bit of skill,but so does shooting Any airgun at 50 yards and over.

Since the advent of slugs,it seems like a lot of folks get a bug up their ass regarding any air rifle that they can't just go and buy that isn't simply plug and play...with the built in ability to shoot sub moa groups at 100 yds.Just by purchasing a new basketball,most people Are Not gonna just start raining 3's. It takes a certain skill set.

Grab yourselves a decent springer and try practicing at a "lowly" 20 yards. If that becomes too easy/boring... Start shooting offhand.

There are plenty of shooters that enjoy,and are proficient at the Long Range game that's all the rage these days. Just be aware that simply buying ones way into that club will probably Not happen and lead to disappointment and frustration.

Be safe and shoot well.

Mike

I agree wholeheartedly. Most my hunting is 30 yards and in regardless of the type of airgun. Sometimes I reach out farther but the stalk is alot of the challenge and fun of airguns. I have plenty of powder burners I can use to kill at 300 yards away if I want to. Seems like I'm always grabbing an airgun instead anytime I can for the challenge of it. 

Just a thought here.

Try not to get too hung up on the 50+ yard hype. Part of hunting with an airgun is the ability to actually stalk ones prey. Yeah,it takes a bit of skill,but so does shooting Any airgun at 50 yards and over.

Since the advent of slugs,it seems like a lot of folks get a bug up their ass regarding any air rifle that they can't just go and buy that isn't simply plug and play...with the built in ability to shoot sub moa groups at 100 yds.Just by purchasing a new basketball,most people Are Not gonna just start raining 3's. It takes a certain skill set.

Grab yourselves a decent springer and try practicing at a "lowly" 20 yards. If that becomes too easy/boring... Start shooting offhand.

There are plenty of shooters that enjoy,and are proficient at the Long Range game that's all the rage these days. Just be aware that simply buying ones way into that club will probably Not happen and lead to disappointment and frustration.

Be safe and shoot well.

Mike

Very true!!

I agree wholeheartedly. Most my hunting is 30 yards and in regardless of the type of airgun. Sometimes I reach out farther but the stalk is alot of the challenge and fun of airguns. I have plenty of powder burners I can use to kill at 300 yards away if I want to. Seems like I'm always grabbing an airgun instead anytime I can for the challenge of it.

Same here, I find my firearms are getting used less each year and I have plenty of ammo if needed.

Just a thought here.

Be safe and shoot well.

Mike

What Mike said above is good advice ^^^^^^

I purchased my first PCP 25 years ago. At the time I had a RWS 54 in 22 cal. As good as it shot it was not a match for the AA 410E in 22. I soon sold the RWS to a friend. I still have springers but none of them will shoot with my BSA Buccaneer which is similar to the Urban. 

With that said I think everyone should have a springer to plink and hunt with. I've made some long shots with a springer but 30 yards or so is pushing my skill set for golf balls. My most accurate springer is a FWB 124 purchased from Dr. Beeman in 1979.