• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Gamo Urban or Umarex Notos

1705173995009.png

Buying anything in life and hoping to get “a good one” is just not appealing to me. I’d rather be shocked I got a bad one from manufacturers with reputations for quality. The best advice I can give is to not talk you out of one of these. They might fit your budget. But make sure you buy it from a dealer with a very good reputation for returns. With certain manufacturers, do as much research on return policies as you do on the gun.
I appreciate the insight and advice. I’ve been trying to find a shorter (<40”), backyard friendly rifle that is sub $500 as I’m just getting into this hobby. I’ve searched/read a lot of posts on recommended guns for beginners where many folks were advocating for +$1k guns but that’s just not in the budget for me. So, I was honing in on the notos and avenger bullpup, but the urban caught my eye too despite being a little longer.

I also have a bad habit of overanalyzing things death, so that’s certainly not help in my decision making. I’m sure I’ll go back and forth on this one for another month. 🤔🤦‍♂️

Can you enlighten us with any more details on the plenum upgrade? I assume that is something you crafted yourself?
I don't have much pictures from this build other than what my younger brother took. We built it together as he want to learn. Basically I cut the Urban tube with enough left for an adapter and plenum. I then made a regulator housing using the notos piston and springs. I opened up as much as possible the valve housing and opened the T port and poppet seat to get a laminar flow. The original poppet started a slow leak as it start to dig into the seat area. So a new peek valve was made and has been working for almost 2 years now. The tank is from amazon 200cc / 4.5K rating. The barrel is tensioned and has internal baffles.

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Reactions: MongooseV8
I appreciate the insight and advice. I’ve been trying to find a shorter (<40”), backyard friendly rifle that is sub $500 as I’m just getting into this hobby. I’ve searched/read a lot of posts on recommended guns for beginners where many folks were advocating for +$1k guns but that’s just not in the budget for me. So, I was honing in on the notos and avenger bullpup, but the urban caught my eye too despite being a little longer.

I also have a bad habit of overanalyzing things death, so that’s certainly not help in my decision making. I’m sure I’ll go back and forth on this one for another month. 🤔🤦‍♂️
The Urban has a long standing rock solid history. Lots of people own and love their Notos(es?) but there have been a fair few with problems out of the box. For my money the easy choice is the Urban, or if you can swing a bit more also take a look at the Coyote. I have both and they are probably the best overall first budget pcp. If you need more power for hunting the Avengers are also a good option.

EDIT: Here is your easy decision unfortunately you just missed a free shipping coupon. Still a great deal.

Reactions: Genob

You definitely don’t need a +$1k gun to have a great shooter. But with a lot of sub $500 guns you might be required to become a google gunsmith. Or keep sending them back until you get one that’s good enough.

I have an Urban and Avenger. I am really impressed with both, but for a “do it all for the price” rifle the Avenger is the choice. Up and Down power, dual gauges, quiet (choose your moderator to make it even more so), pellets or slugs. Tons of videos out there. The stock on the Urban is better, but not a key reason for me picking a rifle. Lots of upgrade options too.

Again love my Urban, but for pesting, plus adjustability and a do-it-all rifle well…

Reactions: nobody1 and Genob
Urban I received today has a slow leak. Really hate to send it back, groups so tiny at 11 yards they’re hard to measure. (too darn cold and windy to go outside). Any ideas why a new gun would leak?
Where does it leak? The muzzle, fill port, gauge? If none of this, I would just send it back. The valve housing O-ring is easy to nick when installing into the pressure tube without some special tools to push it past the screw holes, it will get pinched.

I remember one guy who had an Urban with a chronic leak with the fill port plug. No matter what he did, he couldn’t get it to stop. But as we tried to help him, we had no clue of how mechanically inclined he was. But it sounded to me like it was a machining issue that should be sent back. Getting the plug or what I call a gland out of the tube to service the orings can go two ways. But you better have the right tools in order to not make a mess of the gun. For some reason they make all this stuff too tight. So be prepared if you decide to fix it. Nothing worse than having to send back a gun that’s a tack driver. But in your case, 11 yards is meaningless so just send it back. You’ll have a new one before this wind finally dies down.

I have an Urban and Avenger. I am really impressed with both, but for a “do it all for the price” rifle the Avenger is the choice. Up and Down power, dual gauges, quiet (choose your moderator to make it even more so), pellets or slugs. Tons of videos out there. The stock on the Urban is better, but not a key reason for me picking a rifle. Lots of upgrade options too.

Again love my Urban, but for pesting, plus adjustability and a do-it-all rifle well…
Yes, the Avenger is much better than the Gamo Urban for less than $100 more.
The Avenger can be adjusted in many ways, while the Urban only has a hammer spring adjustment.

Still, my stock Nova Liberty is more accurate than my Avenger.
The Avenger has the same barrel and trigger as the Nova Liberty, but with lots of cost cutting by Air Venturi.
The Avenger X is very close to a Nova Liberty with external adjustment for regulator and hammer spring.

• Love
Reactions: Drew816
Urban I received today has a slow leak. Really hate to send it back, groups so tiny at 11 yards they’re hard to measure. (too darn cold and windy to go outside). Any ideas why a new gun would leak?

I would just send it back unless you know how to work on the rifles. They are simple rifles but I cannot account for the tools and skills of anyone but myself. It could be:

The O-ring in the fill poppet
The fill plastic poppet (moulding)
The exhaust valve poppet
The O-rings on the exhaust valve and fill port assembly to tube interface
Worse case, the reservoir tube is scratched on the inside from the forming mandrel

Sometimes a minor leak will resolve itself due to cycling the exhaust valve poppet and cycling the fill port each fill allowing the parts to conform to one another if those are the areas leaking. Here is the fill port assembly, O-ring under the guage (44) and the O-ring on the housing (29) and the periphery of the poppet moulding (35) that seals to the housing (36). Also check O-ring 39, clean and lube with 100% silicone grease.

My first Urban leaked at the fill port moulding and it was contaminated with tiny bits of brass under a 10X scope. I cleaned it and burnished the plastic moulding on a varnished smooth surface. It also leaked due to scratches inside the tube, this required a one inch ball hone and a lot of labor. The rifle will now hold air until the end of time. My Urban #2 has never leaked and is perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danoh

They all shoot like a house on fire; don’t worry about it. Send it back while you can and the next one will shoot amazing as well.

I would just send it back unless you know how to work on the rifles. They are simple rifles but I cannot account for the tools and skills of anyone but myself. It could be:

The O-ring in the fill poppet
The fill plastic poppet (moulding)
The exhaust valve poppet
The O-rings on the exhaust valve and fill port assembly to tube interface
Worse case, the reservoir tube is scratched on the inside from the forming mandrel

Sometimes a minor leak will resolve itself due to cycling the exhaust valve poppet and cycling the fill port each fill allowing the parts to conform to one another if those are the areas leaking. Here is the fill port assembly, O-ring under the guage (44) and the O-ring on the housing (29) and the periphery of the poppet moulding (35) that seals to the housing (36). Also check O-ring 39, clean and lube with 100% silicone grease.

My first Urban leaked at the fill port moulding and it was contaminated with tiny bits of brass under a 10X scope. I cleaned it and burnished the plastic moulding on a varnished smooth surface. It also leaked due to scratches inside the tube, this required a one inch ball hone and a lot of labor. The rifle will now hold air until the end of time. My Urban #2 has never leaked and is perfect.
You, Sir, are a treasure of helpful knowledge. I thank you very much! Your skill set is far above mine, so I won’t even attempt trying this on my own. Back it will go.

I appreciate everyone’s guidance.

Would you think the same applies to the Avenger Bullpup? From my research, there doesn’t appear to be much difference between the original avenger and the Bullpup (other than the obvious form factor and trigger linkage) but maybe I’m missing something?

I appreciate everyone’s guidance.

Would you think the same applies to the Avenger Bullpup? From my research, there doesn’t appear to be much difference between the original avenger and the Bullpup (other than the obvious form factor and trigger linkage) but maybe I’m missing something?
It's a good gun other than the fact the cocking lever will be awkward to use. It's the very reason I got rid of my Kral puncher breaker.

Reactions: Drew816