• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gamo Urban 22

I got a couple tips for you. I don’t have an Urban, but I do have the Coyote in .22. I had a few issues to work out. My point of impact would shift from a 230 bar fill down to about 110 bar. Over 40 shots it would make an inverted “L” about 1 1/2 inches tall At 35 yards. The middle 20 shots were the most consistent. Second problem, POI shift if the barrel got bumped the wrong way. 

What I found was if the barrel was bumped out of alignment, the barrel band would prevent it from returning to center. Also, I believe that pressure changes in the tube caused it to distort and shift slightly pulling the barrel with it. Solution, remove the barrel band. Result was, still shooting an inverted “L”shape but now it was half the size. Also the POI shift from bumping the barrel was much better. After a while I noticed that if I lifted the front of the barrel, the front of the action would lift off the tube. Two screws hold the front of the action down but they are just in front of the magazine cut out. Solution I came up with was to use the scope and mounts to stiffen the action. Basically I moved the front scope mound forward of the magazine cut out as far forward as I could. Huge improvement. Now it always maintains POI if the barrel gets bumped. BUT, it still shot the inverted “L” shape over the 40 shots. Again I suspected minor distortions from varying pressure in the tube. Next step, I ordered an Altarose regulator. OMG. Now it’s hole in hole at 35 yards. Set the reg at 150 bar. Adjusted the hammer spring to shoot Hades at 850. I only get about 33 shots on a fill now. Shoots Air Arms 16 grain almost as good. If I crank up the hammer spring it shoots the JSB 18 grain in the same hole at 35 yards as well.

I also replaced the trigger screw. Huge difference. The trigger is better than it gets credit for. Also the BSA barrel is very accurate, however I have to clean it every 200 shots or so. Thinking I need to do a polish job on it. Accuracy at 50 yards is in the 1/2 inch range.

My only complaints now are, the Coyote is heavy, moderator, while good, could be better. Magazines seem to work well, but the alignment of the pellets is off a little for the first few shots. Pellet waist and length make a difference in how bad the alignment of the mag is. Would love to see if an Urban stock would fit and if it makes a significant difference in overall weight.

Wow, great insights. I have also regged my Coyote. (Left my Urban alone, like it too much to mess with it.) Not with Altaros but with Lane (large plenum). My setpoint is 135 bar, speed is similar to yours.

Agree that the Coyote wood stock (although very well made) is heavy. I also find it to be a tad too beefy for my hot little hands. The Urban has a shorter barrel and a smaller cylinder, other than that the action is similar. Urban is much better balanced and has a much easier pistol grip stock.

The Urban stock would fit the Coyote except for the metal spacer that the front stock attachment screw threads into. (Urban part is longer). EDIT: that spacer is a critical component because it threads into the valve block to fix it into the cylinder. Urban also has a different (i.e. an elongated & tapered) plastic rear end cap sliding into the cylinder.

However did you kdnow that the Coyote also comes with a synthetic stock with adjustable comb ? 🐦

I agree that the Urban is underrated. It is straight BSA but gets overlooked because it has the GAMO name pasted on. You can’t argue with the hammer forged barrel, and the build quality is wayyy better than what you pay for. Aside from the crappy barrel band and short trigger screw they are good to go out of the box, but add-ons like a baffle core, altaros reg, SSG, and a myriad of other goodies really transform the gun into a top performer. 

... but add-ons like a baffle core, altaros reg, SSG, and a myriad of other goodies really transform the gun into a top performer. 

mwils111... Total PCP newbie here. I have no clue what these things are, but they sound really cool!

Baffle core... new, quieter internals for the silencer? Who makes them for the Urban 22?
Altaros reg... ok, I get this one, but will need a lot of research to figure out which reg and how to install. My Hatsan BT65 had a reg installed when I bought it (used).
I thought I read somewhere that installing regulators will often throw the first shot or two off POA. This gun resides in the 2nd floor spare room, ready for varmint control in the back yard. I need the first shot to be on target.
SSG... I'm drawing blanks on this one.

Careful on the Altaros regulator (135 bar is the optimum setting for the Urban IMHO) -- I had a Urban as my first PCP and ordered the regulator. When I unscrewed the front assembly from the tube the O-Ring was shredded. There was something wrong with it I think because it was a HUGE struggle to even get the thing off. No idea if hand pumping injected moisture and caused the ring to swell. Never could get it back together correctly. It turned into a parts gun. My father owned a Urban and he had zero issues installing his regulator. I might have had a defective Urban or something.

Might be easier to slide the regulator in backwards from the rear than taking the fill/gauge assembly off the front of the air tube. If the regulator doesn't leak I'd think all shots would be POI consistent... it's at least that way with my Concept Lite.

Hope this helped, the Urban is a fine PCP. It's pretty much a BSA Buccaneer with a synthetic stock with a Gamo name on it.

Careful on the Altaros regulator (135 bar is the optimum setting for the Urban IMHO) -- I had a Urban as my first PCP and ordered the regulator. When I unscrewed the front assembly from the tube the O-Ring was shredded. There was something wrong with it I think because it was a HUGE struggle to even get the thing off. No idea if hand pumping injected moisture and caused the ring to swell. Never could get it back together correctly. It turned into a parts gun. My father owned a Urban and he had zero issues installing his regulator. I might have had a defective Urban or something.

Might be easier to slide the regulator in backwards from the rear than taking the fill/gauge assembly off the front of the air tube. If the regulator doesn't leak I'd think all shots would be POI consistent... it's at least that way with my Concept Lite.

Hope this helped, the Urban is a fine PCP. It's pretty much a BSA Buccaneer with a synthetic stock with a Gamo name on it.

Altaros are fine regs. So are Robert Lane's, which come with 3 different plenum sizes for this BSA platform. (Larger plenum for higher power at a relatively lower reg set point).

The Lane in my Coyote does not creep, but can we really count on any reg NEVER creeping ??? I am far from convinced that the Urban really benefits from a reg. Contrary to the Coyote, the Urban shoots well unregged without any strain or ping. The shot curve is fine + consistent from 190 bar down. The only real benefit I can see is that a reg would allow filling all the way up to 232 bar yet maintain the flat shot curve. At the same time, though, a reg would take up space in a relatively small cylinder. Am I wrong ?

As regards opening up the gun to place a reg, I struggle to see how you could do without opening up the cylinder at both sides of the valve block. Just like the SPA pr900w (Diana Stormrider), the valve block first needs to be pushed out of the front of the cylinder, pushed by a rod (e.g. a pvc pipe) inserted from the back. The valve cap then needs to be removed, the reg inserted, and the ensemble pushed back into place from the front of the cylinder to the right location near the back. Try it any other way and the reg o ring seal will be damaged.

My Coyote cylinder cap was hard to remove. The stock o ring had swelled, I had to replace it. Ensured a good air seal by also applying teflon tape and a thinner second o ring at the front of the cap, in the groove where the thread starts. This required some experimentation with o ring sizes. Take one too big, or try to reapply the expanded stock ring, and you are in a world of pain & frustration. These BSA parts are machined tightly -- there is no wiggle room like in a Hatsan ...🐦

Melter942, my baffle core was a DIY project. The SSG (spring stopper guide) is a device that allows the hammer to free float instead of being preloaded against the valve. This is a big help in efficiency because it eliminates the tendency of the hammer to bounce, which wastes air. If you do a search here or at the other major air gun forum you can find a wealth of information on the topic. 

I too had difficulty removing the fill valve during regulator install. The o-ring had swelled and absolutely shredded itself during removal. Once I had the fill valve out installing the Altaros reg was super easy. It just slides into place against the firing valve with the included installation rod. The downside of being a non-vented design is also what makes installation so straight forward. 

The real reason I went regulated was to eliminate a bizarre POI shift that seemed to be tied to different harmonics at different fill pressures. I did extensive testing and this was the only possibility I could come up with. I agree that the urban is not an ideal reg host, but I’m very happy with the way the altaros has fixed my issue. Shooting with a regulator that has consistent sound and harmonics vs shooting unregulated through 1200 psi of pressure change makes a big difference! I have mine at 150 bar, but might go lower at some point. 150 bar plateaus at 845 FPS, so at 800 I’m at around 95% of plateau. This is right at the lower end of the recommended range of 97%-95%. The upside is that a slightly higher reg set point gives very nice efficiency and low noise levels!

My perspective on reg creep is that I’m not all that concerned about it. Keep in mind that we’re discussing guns with a valve designed to work under a range of operating pressures. Unregulated, my urban had an ES of 20 FPS from 2600-1600 psi. This means that even if the reg creeps a couple hundred psi the valve will still do its job and I’ll get a consistent result. My data backs this up. I’ve checked for creep many times, and have never seen much more than a 5 FPS change on the first shot. Now, with guns that have a valve built around a reg I could see creep being a bigger problem!