• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gamo Urban 22

I got a new Gamo Urban 22 a couple weeks ago and I think I finally have it dialed in.

The bore was full of crud and took a whole evening to get clean. I finished with a light coat of Renaissance wax and mounted a Hawke 4-12 X 50 AO.
For the first week I was busy experimenting with different pellets trying to find what it liked. Initial groups were a let down, but I figured it would take some number of pellets to get it loosened up. I ordered another assortment and kept shooting. After many rounds fired, I started getting pretty nice 25 yard groups with the FX 15.9 gr pellets . Air Arms 16 gr Diabolo Field also group nicely.
Oh yes...I have been washing and waxing all the pellets, because you folks said it helps. (My wife laughs and says I'm being punked!)

I realized this weekend, that the two 10-round magazines I have are more accurate if only loaded to with 5 pellets. (see pic)
Another interesting discovery today, was the JSB Jumbo 15.89 gr pellets that were rejected 2 weeks ago for lack of accuracy, are now the most accurate of all the pellets I've tried, at least at 25 yards or less.

I know the Urban 22 isn't in the same league with many of the guns you folks are running, but for this newcomer, it's perfect for my current needs.
IMG_1913.1604887408.JPG
1c.1604887421.JPG

2.1604887438.JPG
3.1604887452.JPG

So I bought my dad a Gamo urban in hopes that he would get the bug and come to the dark side with me. He loves it and I do too. Power could be a little better but the accuracy and shot count is amazing. I'm surprised that your gun is being pick at all because mine shoots everything great. It's hard to find a pellet it doesn't like. Cph are almost as accurate as jsbs! I suggest you look closely at that mag. I suspect that it is deforming pellets and hurting your accuracy. Especially if putting 5 in yields better results. Also on my dad's the holes in the mag didn't line up exactly square and it was cutting the oring on the probe and deforming the pellets. I bought a new mag and problem solved. You might want to start there. The gun is really a very accurate gun. I recommend buying a Charlie da tuna trigger. This is the single best upgrade you can do. It transformed that gun into a whole new animal and only cost 35 bucks or so. God bless buddy Thanks for sharing. 

"I suggest you look closely at that mag. I suspect that it is deforming pellets and hurting your accuracy. Especially if putting 5 in yields better results. Also on my dad's the holes in the mag didn't line up exactly square and it was cutting the oring on the probe and deforming the pellets. I bought a new mag and problem solved. You might want to start there."

I bought a spare magazine before I received the gun, so I'm running 2 magazines, both with the same results. The first 5 shot groups at 25 yards are not bad when loaded to 10 rounds, but when I load to only 5 rounds with either magazine, the groups tighten up to about half the CTC measurement.

Trigger tip: take out the m2.5 set screw and replace it by the longer screw in the barrel band. Tighten until it becomes a sweet two-stage. The Gamo trigger is much better than it is often made out to be.

(Don't overtighten or it will become unsafe -- cock without a pellet in the breech and let the gun come down fairly hard on the buttpad. If it goes off, turn that screw counterclockwise again.)

If you prefer not to touch the barrel band you could always order the screw for a buck or two ...

Screenshot_20201109-141809.1604928034.png

Scope tip: I put an 8*44 Fixed magnification (SF) scope on it. Marcool, together with Westhunter one of the better homegrown China brands. Around 70 bucks on Aliexpress. High quality adjustments, bright lenses, great reticle. You might be positively surprised, like I was. It will cover your basic needs (and then some). 🐦

16049282935831157460355.1604928319.jpg

Trigger tip: take out the m2.5 set screw and replace it by the longer screw in the barrel band. Tighten until it becomes a sweet two-stage. The Gamo trigger is much better than it is often made out to be.

(Don't overtighten or it will become unsafe -- cock without a pellet in the breech and let the gun come down fairly hard on the buttpad. If it goes off, turn that screw counterclockwise again.)

If you prefer not to touch the barrel band you could always order the screw for a buck or two ...

Parrotculler, 
Thank you for letting me know to look in the barrel band for an M2.5 x 8!
I had already ordered 10 of them on ebay for $3.97, but with your info, I made the change immediately. I'll replace the barrel band screw when they arrive.
In the mean time.... WOW! What a difference the longer screw made!
I watched the Airgun Depot video and followed Travis' method using a rubber mallet to test the trigger. I began with the typical long 2nd stage that broke consistently around 2 lb. 5 oz. The end result is an extremely short 2nd stage breaking at 1 lb 4 oz.
Thanks again for the info!

Parrotculler, 
Thank you for letting me know to look in the barrel band for an M2.5 x 8!
I had already ordered 10 of them on ebay for $3.97, but with your info, I made the change immediately. I'll replace the barrel band screw when they arrive.
In the mean time.... WOW! What a difference the longer screw made!
I watched the Airgun Depot video and followed Travis' method using a rubber mallet to test the trigger. I began with the typical long 2nd stage that broke consistently around 2 lb. 5 oz. The end result is an extremely short 2nd stage breaking at 1 lb 4 oz.
Thanks again for the info!

Groovy! You may already have discovered the 1st stage adjustment screw on the trigger as well ... Many people (like myself initially) think these Urbans are single stage because that is how they typically come out of the box. But playing with that little screw reveals a pleasant surprise. A light first stage, but one that breaks all the more cleanly. Enjoy your Urban. It is one of the nicest to carry hunting guns in my safe. Not pellet picky either, loves the cheapo Gamo Pro Hunters and the Crossman Premier domed. 🐦

I have found that the JSB 18.13 grain works best in my Urban. Check out the AEAC video on youtube about the Urban. Steve recommends not filling past 195 bar and I have to say I think he is right. I fill to 200 bar and shoot about 20 rounds before refilling to 200. I can lay in tight groups at 25 and if my aim holds up, I can lay in at 50 pretty good too. I took a squirrel just yesterday at 65 or so yards so the accuracy is there.

The Gamo Urban 22 was my first PCP. Very accurate, easy to carry in the woods, and a great deal for a first venture into the dark side of airguns. I also used a hand pump back then, and the Urban was relatively easy to fill back up. Great shot count, too. Unfortunately, I do not own it any more, as I gifted it to an old Army buddy, who raves to this day about how much fun it is to shoot. He also got my old hand pump. Suffering the PCP addiction is so much more fun when you have company! Glad to hear you are having fun with yours. Keep us posted on your adventures!

James

I got a couple tips for you. I don’t have an Urban, but I do have the Coyote in .22. I had a few issues to work out. My point of impact would shift from a 230 bar fill down to about 110 bar. Over 40 shots it would make an inverted “L” about 1 1/2 inches tall At 35 yards. The middle 20 shots were the most consistent. Second problem, POI shift if the barrel got bumped the wrong way. 

What I found was if the barrel was bumped out of alignment, the barrel band would prevent it from returning to center. Also, I believe that pressure changes in the tube caused it to distort and shift slightly pulling the barrel with it. Solution, remove the barrel band. Result was, still shooting an inverted “L”shape but now it was half the size. Also the POI shift from bumping the barrel was much better. After a while I noticed that if I lifted the front of the barrel, the front of the action would lift off the tube. Two screws hold the front of the action down but they are just in front of the magazine cut out. Solution I came up with was to use the scope and mounts to stiffen the action. Basically I moved the front scope mound forward of the magazine cut out as far forward as I could. Huge improvement. Now it always maintains POI if the barrel gets bumped. BUT, it still shot the inverted “L” shape over the 40 shots. Again I suspected minor distortions from varying pressure in the tube. Next step, I ordered an Altarose regulator. OMG. Now it’s hole in hole at 35 yards. Set the reg at 150 bar. Adjusted the hammer spring to shoot Hades at 850. I only get about 33 shots on a fill now. Shoots Air Arms 16 grain almost as good. If I crank up the hammer spring it shoots the JSB 18 grain in the same hole at 35 yards as well.

I also replaced the trigger screw. Huge difference. The trigger is better than it gets credit for. Also the BSA barrel is very accurate, however I have to clean it every 200 shots or so. Thinking I need to do a polish job on it. Accuracy at 50 yards is in the 1/2 inch range.

My only complaints now are, the Coyote is heavy, moderator, while good, could be better. Magazines seem to work well, but the alignment of the pellets is off a little for the first few shots. Pellet waist and length make a difference in how bad the alignment of the mag is. Would love to see if an Urban stock would fit and if it makes a significant difference in overall weight.