Gamo Gamo Urban .22......really?

Yes really. I already have a what I guess would be considered a "mid-grade" PCP and a "higher end" one as well. Both are very accurate and perform extremely well. Keepers, I guess you would say. It's pretty well accepted that if you spend north of $1000, you get a very refined and highly accurate pcp. As you should for that kind of money. But, is it absolutely necessary to spend that kind of dough to get a quality and very accurate rifle? If you don't have or choose not to spend that much money, are you relegated to a poor quality, somewhat inaccurate rifle? The answer to both is absolutely NO!!

About two weeks ago I picked a new Urban .22 out of pure curiosity. I have heard so many people speak of how accurate and well made these Urban's are and that many wish they had never gotten rid of theirs. So....I decided to see for myself. At a $300 price tag, what the hell? It's really just a BSA Buccaneer (It is definitely a BSA, I think it's pretty much a Buccaneer) and is made in Birmingham England. Not China. But everyone knows that. But anyway, I have spent three days over two weeks shooting this Urban. I was very impressed by it from the first magazine full of pellets. It took a few adjustments to get it "dialed" in . I ended up removing the barrel band, which did alleviate some poi shift that I was experiencing. I replaced the 2nd stage trigger adjustment screw with a new one that was just a bit longer. This got the trigger pull lightened up to my liking. It is actually a pretty good trigger after some adjustment. Today I adjusted the hammer spring just a bit to increase power slightly. The end result....a really sweet shooting and very accurate little rifle. The urban has an excellent stock, is light weight, and can shoot lights out!! What a gem of a pcp for only $300.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Below are ten shot groups.

3.jpg

2.jpg

q.jpg

I am not finished with this Urban. I have a lot more that I want to tinker with and am looking forward to hunting with it. The above pictures are with Air Arms 18 grain pellets. Very good accuracy with them. It also shoots AA 16 gr and Crossman 14.3 gr Hollow Points pretty well. The Crossmans would have 2-3 fliers in a 10 shot group however. I didn't like that. Still a lot of testing and tinkering to go.

The bottom line....it seems sometimes that if you haven't spent 1-2 grand on a pcp, well then, you just ain't in the game. That is what appears to be the popular narrative often times. For all you guys that find a north of $1k pcp way outa your reach. It's totally ok. You do NOT have to spend that to have a very good quality and very accurate rifle. End of story. There are really good offerings. The Urban happens to be one of them.

Last edited:
I still have my urban. Well sorta, my dad has stolen it from me currently to play with. It’s accuracy is there for sure, but I still can’t get past the hammer bounce. If only someone made a denounce device for it, I know it would be even more accuracy, and more efficient to boot!

id say its more of a crapshoot if you expect lazer accuracy for mid cost or lower out of the box, but theres a few ive seen that have 'very good' performance, and thats all i need personally -prod, mrod, urban, craftsman set all good ... i could spend 50 g's on a motor to have the fastest car in the neighborhood to, but my stock honda with a 6 does just fine, better things to spend my money on ..

Two things helped me narrow down my search for an entry level PCP air rifle: (1) This forum and specifically this thread and (2) This Airgun Detective review. I'll follow up with my first impressions when it arrives. I'll start with a pump and save for a compressor. I shoot "recreational precision" rimfire at a range with an entry level rifle (not competitive), which is fun enough for under a thousand dollars. This will be my backyard shooter at 20 yards.

@TiredRooster could you share what adjustments you made to get this gun dialed in? I just picked one up myself and I’m not able to get anywhere as close of groupings at 40 yards like you have shown. The only thing I have done is the trigger mod and scope. It seems like anything over 2500psi isnt very accurate and 2000-2500 being the sweet spot. This is what my groupings look like at 40yrds shooting crosman ultra magnum 14.3
D574575D-0D52-4110-BEEA-1BCB9028A9D5.jpeg

@TiredRooster could you share what adjustments you made to get this gun dialed in? I just picked one up myself and I’m not able to get anywhere as close of groupings at 40 yards like you have shown. The only thing I have done is the trigger mod and scope. It seems like anything over 2500psi isnt very accurate and 2000-2500 being the sweet spot. This is what my groupings look like at 40yrds shooting crosman ultra magnum 14.3
View attachment 311217
Try some JSB pellets. 15.9 or 18.3 grain.

View attachment 311217

I would say first off, try some different pellets. My urban consistently groups really well with heavier pellets. The Air Arms 18 grain and the JSB 18.3 grain are definitely very tight grouping with mine. They are both "basically" the same pellet. My Urban was not nearly as consistent with lighter pellets. The 16 grain'ish pellets were not reliable enough for me. I would get crazy fliers here and there with them. I shoot only the 18 grain pellets through it now. You will also have to shoot enough and pay attention to where that "sweet" spot is as far as fill pressure. I found that it's best NOT to fill past 200 BAR. At about 200 BAR or slightly under, I seem to get about 25 VERY tight and consistent shots. That 3rd magazine can get a little inconsistent about 5-6 shots or so into it. Still "OK" but by the end of that last mag it's not reliably accurate.
Now....I did have to remove my barrel band to stop POI shift. It was a definite issue for me. Once I removed the band. No more POI shift at all. So that may be something you need to try at some point. But never "modify" until you have first found that pellet that it likes. Try some more pellets. Also ID that sweet spot as far your fill pressure for best accuracy.

Good luck (y)

I just picked up a bsa ultra jsr from a forum member and am already impressed with the little thing. The gamo urban was on my bucket list of guns but now knowing the hype on the bsa guns is real, it's definitely on the short list. They will also drop into a buccaneer stock from what I've read and seen over on the Gateway.

I would say first off, try some different pellets. My urban consistently groups really well with heavier pellets. The Air Arms 18 grain and the JSB 18.3 grain are definitely very tight grouping with mine. They are both "basically" the same pellet. My Urban was not nearly as consistent with lighter pellets. The 16 grain'ish pellets were not reliable enough for me. I would get crazy fliers here and there with them. I shoot only the 18 grain pellets through it now. You will also have to shoot enough and pay attention to where that "sweet" spot is as far as fill pressure. I found that it's best NOT to fill past 200 BAR. At about 200 BAR or slightly under, I seem to get about 25 VERY tight and consistent shots. That 3rd magazine can get a little inconsistent about 5-6 shots or so into it. Still "OK" but by the end of that last mag it's not reliably accurate.
Now....I did have to remove my barrel band to stop POI shift. It was a definite issue for me. Once I removed the band. No more POI shift at all. So that may be something you need to try at some point. But never "modify" until you have first found that pellet that it likes. Try some more pellets. Also ID that sweet spot as far your fill pressure for best accuracy.

Good luck (y)
Thank you for the detailed follow-up! I just ordered some JSB 18.13 from eBay and will try them out. Any recommendations on the best place to restock on these types of rounds?

Yes really. I already have a what I guess would be considered a "mid-grade" PCP and a "higher end" one as well. Both are very accurate and perform extremely well. Keepers, I guess you would say. It's pretty well accepted that if you spend north of $1000, you get a very refined and highly accurate pcp. As you should for that kind of money. But, is it absolutely necessary to spend that kind of dough to get a quality and very accurate rifle? If you don't have or choose not to spend that much money, are you relegated to a poor quality, somewhat inaccurate rifle? The answer to both is absolutely NO!!

About two weeks ago I picked a new Urban .22 out of pure curiosity. I have heard so many people speak of how accurate and well made these Urban's are and that many wish they had never gotten rid of theirs. So....I decided to see for myself. At a $300 price tag, what the hell? It's really just a BSA Buccaneer (It is definitely a BSA, I think it's pretty much a Buccaneer) and is made in Birmingham England. Not China. But everyone knows that. But anyway, I have spent three days over two weeks shooting this Urban. I was very impressed by it from the first magazine full of pellets. It took a few adjustments to get it "dialed" in . I ended up removing the barrel band, which did alleviate some poi shift that I was experiencing. I replaced the 2nd stage trigger adjustment screw with a new one that was just a bit longer. This got the trigger pull lightened up to my liking. It is actually a pretty good trigger after some adjustment. Today I adjusted the hammer spring just a bit to increase power slightly. The end result....a really sweet shooting and very accurate little rifle. The urban has an excellent stock, is light weight, and can shoot lights out!! What a gem of a pcp for only $300.

View attachment 305317

View attachment 305318

Below are ten shot groups.

View attachment 305319

View attachment 305320

View attachment 305343

I am not finished with this Urban. I have a lot more that I want to tinker with and am looking forward to hunting with it. The above pictures are with Air Arms 18 grain pellets. Very good accuracy with them. It also shoots AA 16 gr and Crossman 14.3 gr Hollow Points pretty well. The Crossmans would have 2-3 fliers in a 10 shot group however. I didn't like that. Still a lot of testing and tinkering to go.

The bottom line....it seems sometimes that if you haven't spent 1-2 grand on a pcp, well then, you just ain't in the game. That is what appears to be the popular narrative often times. For all you guys that find a north of $1k pcp way outa your reach. It's totally ok. You do NOT have to spend that to have a very good quality and very accurate rifle. End of story. There are really good offerings. The Urban happens to be one of them.
Really good group for "100 yards", not for 40.

I am against making people spend an important portion of the price of a good rifle buying a rifle that will not perform as, at least myself would expect from my rifles.

A 1,000 Daystate Revere is the real good rifle at the lower price for that consideration.

Some years ago there were Evanix rifles that were under that range of price and that were powerful, accurate and reliable. After many years I keep some of them and one in particular is my deer hunting best PCP rifle: A Windy City. 357 Cal.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed follow-up! I just ordered some JSB 18.13 from eBay and will try them out. Any recommendations on the best place to restock on these types of rounds?

I buy most of my pellets from Pyramid Air. They pack them really well so no damaged pellets from getting beat around during shipment.

Really good group for "100 yards", not for 40.

I am against making people spend an important portion of the price of a good rifle buying a rifle that will not perform as, at least myself would expect from my rifles.

A 1,000 Daystate Revere is the real good rifle at the lower price for that consideration.

Some years ago there were Evanix rifles thst were under that range of price and that were powerful, accurate and reliable. After many years I keep some of them and one in particular is my deer hunting best PCP rifle: A Windy City. 357 Cal.

Thank you for the reply there Emu.
Look, the Urban is what it is. For $300, and can be purchased new for less than that even, it's really a good little rifle. Not everyone can or is willing to spend a lot of money on a pcp. I understand that. That is why so many people are on here looking for information on a descent quality and accurate air rifle that just may be in their budget. I know it gets frustrating for many of them because they can't afford a Daystate or a FX. There are other options and the Urban is just one of them.
As far as the grouping that this Urban is capable of. Well, it can actually group a bit better than what I showed in my post. That was just one day of trying different pellets and what not. Quite honestly, most people can't really shoot to their rifles capability anyway. Often the shooter is the weak link.
And as far as that being a good 100 yd group, not 40? This rifle isn't the rifle you NEED to be using at 100 yards. And most that would be interested in the Urban have NO intentions of using it at that range. It serves VERY well as an out to 40-50 yard max back yard or small game rifle. I am enjoying it as that and have no issues with it delivering.
I don't ever bing it up in a post because I have no way to record it in order to back it up. No video, never happened type of thing. :unsure:
But I have shot several small birds at 60-65 yards with this urban. Very good solid accurate hits. How do I know? I used a range finder to the tree top. Just takes the proper hold over and attention to wind.
And one last thing. I don't know of any one here that does or can "make" any one spend their hard earned money on anything. This is a place to glean information and share information. It's up to each individual person to be responsible, or not, with their own money.

View attachment 311217
You have a lot of vertical spread. What are your FPS numbers on the shots?

Reactions: OldSpook
View attachment 311217
I know I am not alone when I say my Urban hammer spring was almost maxed out from the factory. I backed it out and get 30 good shots @805fps with 15.89 Hades. Its very tight now. I would check your speeds and hammer spring, as well as pellets like others suggested.

Reactions: OldSpook