Gamo Swarm Magnum Gen2 (not impressed)

For months I have been reaching out to Gamo to review the Winchester model 70 .35 caliber big bore as I thought it might be something of interest and I had not seen many reputable reviews. Through a very difficult amount of back and fourth discussion they decided to send me one to review but asked me to review the Gamo Swarm magnum Gen2 in .22 caliber. I don't typically like reviewing piston guns (especially magnums) but felt that it would be a good entry level review project for me to produce in video form. I do have a good amount of experience shooting piston guns but have for the most part stayed away from them as PCP's are more of my interest. Piston guns are a lifestyle choice and do require a ton of practice to be proficient in shooting them.

Snapshot_36.1636359842.png

The rifle arrived packaged very well and included a 10 shot magazine as well as a 3-9x40 scope and one piece mount. 

Snapshot_27.1636359886.png

Snapshot_25.1636359868.png

Snapshot_26.1636359903.png

Gamo Swarm Magnum 10X GEN 2 Multi-shot Air Rifle G2

• 10X GEN 2 Quick-Shot inertia-fed magazine
  • Breakbarrel
  • Max. velocity (.177): 1650 FPS with alloy
  • Max velocity (.22) 1300 fps with alloy, 975 fps with lead
  • IGT Mach 1 gas piston
  • 2-stage adjustable Custom Action Trigger (CAT)
  • Recoil Reducing Rail (RRR)
  • Whisper Fusion noise suppression
  • Automotive-grade glass-filled nylon all-weather thumbhole stock
  • Shock Wave Absorber (SWA) recoil pad
  • Checkered grip and forearm
  • Barrel length: 21.3"
  • Overall length: 49.2"

I had to film for a few different projects so loaded up my motorhome and headed into the mountains for several days where I planned to do some shooting with the Swarm. The biggest difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 are the configuration of the 10 shot magazine and the Gen2 has anti double load feature and some robust fiber optic open sights. I mounted the 3-9x40 scope with the provided one piece mount and was immediately disappointed with the fact the scope had no mildots. The Swarm retails for roughly $320 and includes a scope as part of a package, a scope with no mildots is simply worthless to me. Including a scope we can't highly removes some value considering WE have to replace it with something proficient enough to use in the field. Moving on from that I proceeded to do some shooting with the gun to check it's function, performance and overall ergonomics. I was very pleased with the weight and balance, it felt very ergonomic with the thumbhole stock.

Snapshot_20.1636360635.png

Snapshot_21.1636360651.png

The gun is extremely difficult to cock, to be expected from any magnum piston gun. The buttpad was thankfully very soft and did help a bit to cushion the recoil, it had a ton of it. I spent a few hours hiking around with the gun and took my time shooting at a few targets to break it in and get familiar with how it shoots. Having a 10 shot magazine on a piston gun is really cool and definitely a very desirable feature for small game hunting. The magazine is very easy to load and has numbers that you can see through a window to easily keep track of shots.

Snapshot_27.1636360918.png

Snapshot_28.1636360931.png

Snapshot_29.1636360944.png

I really like how the magazine on the Gen2 sits flat and is far less intrusive to line of sight than the Gen1 design as well as the anti double load feature. The majority of all the components are plastic so I will question the longevity of function. I did test a variety of pellets from 14gr all the way up to 25gr and got very similar results between them all. I settled on using the 18gr JSB's and found them to be producing about 21 fpe, much lower than I had been told but still a good amount of power. People in some of the comments on my video said they were getting close to 30 fpe, this simply wasn't my experience. The trigger on the Swarm was very nice and I was pleased with it's feel and can see bringing the weight down a bit would definitely help improve accuracy. It was set to 1.8lbs, a reasonable weight for a box store gun IMO. As part of a review I never like to adjust things, better to test them straight as they come and allow the performance to speak for itself.

Snapshot_31.1636361428.png

Snapshot_32.1636361304.png

The accuracy at 50 yards was terrible, I think partially due to the gun not being broken in. I tried many different holds and still....very consistent terrible results. I decided to move the target in to just 25 yards and even those groups were awful and that junk scope certainly didn't help things any. 

Snapshot_34.1636361604.png

Moving on I decided the gun needed to be used a bit more before I gave my final conclusion to be totally fair with my results. As I had the gun on the table I looked down found that the grip cap had popped off the gun while I was shooting it.

Snapshot_35.1636362117.png

This apparently is a place to store a spare magazine, this is a wonderful idea if it actually stayed on the gun. I can't help to think about hiking around on a hunt, going to grab my spare magazine only to find out the cap popped off and it as well as the magazine are long gone. Looking towards to barrel we have something they call the "Whisper Fusion noise suppression" To me this sounds like a fancy word for a moderator.

Snapshot_24.1636364135.png

This is a big bulky unit that fixed to the end of the barrel with the front fiber optic sight on top. I honestly couldn't tell you if this works or not as I can't remove it. To me the gun doesn't sound any quieter than any other magnum piston gun but I think the majority of the noise is the piston slamming the airtube. The fiber optic sights on the Swarm really are very nice and work well in low light conditions.

Snapshot_23.1636364241.png

After some obvious frustration with the gun I decided to give it a break and to move onto another project for awhile. I ended up going home, shooting a bunch of cheap CHP's through it, cleaned the barrel and made sure everything was nice and tight before heading out again. We went to the desert for a few days where I planned to shoot it some more and to finish up my review of the gun. The accuracy at 50 yards definitely improved and I think that was because I was a bit more familiar with the gun and it had a chance to really start breaking it in. Keep in mind that I don't do 5 shot groups, I do 10 as this to me is a more realistic showing of what a typical end user can expect.....

Snapshot_37.1636364325.png

I think with more practice the gun can shoot ok....I use ok very lightly.

PROS 

• Lightweight
  • Ergonomic Stock
  • Nice trigger
  • Magazine
  • Anti double load
  • Good Power
  • Included one piece mount
  • Nice fiber optic sights

CONS

• Hard to cock
  • Loud
  • Cap comes off grip
  • Junk Scope with no mildots

I really appreciate Gamo sending me this gun for review but I have to be honest, I was very disappointed with the gun at a price point of $320+,not worth it considering we will have to invest in a scope. Let me know what you guys think, am I being to hard on them? Enclosed is the full experience with this rifle in video form I hope some may find helpful.

https://youtu.be/4NZ6ONVv_Qw

Hard?, no. It is what it is. I have worked on a few Gamo and Benjamin springers and "I" have made them accurate, but they certainly didn't come that way. If people aren't comfortable doing that kind of work and are expecting AA or HW accuracy most will be extremely disappointed. You did them a service. I will say this though, if you are going to do a review on a springer, you need to use every size and weight of pellet that you can get your hands on. My brother has a Gamo Whisper that shoots 3" groups at 25 yards with just about everything. If you use 7.9gr Crosman domes it shoots dime sized groups consistently. It is easily the most pellet picky gun I have ever used and without that pellet is worthless. It could be that you just didn't find what it likes. I am throwing Gamo a bone with that comment, I know, but it is possible. The way the magazine works is probably something that the premium companies should look at making in a metal version.

Reactions: CHPreps
Hard?, no. It is what it is. I have worked on a few Gamo and Benjamin springers and "I" have made them accurate, but they certainly didn't come that way. If people aren't comfortable doing that kind of work and are expecting AA or HW accuracy most will be extremely disappointed. You did them a service. I will say this though, if you are going to do a review on a springer, you need to use every size and weight of pellet that you can get your hands on. My brother has a Gamo Whisper that shoots 3" groups at 25 yards with just about everything. If you use 7.9gr Crosman domes it shoots dime sized groups consistently. It is easily the most pellet picky gun I have ever used and without that pellet is worthless. It could be that you just didn't find what it likes. I am throwing Gamo a bone with that comment, I know, but it is possible. The way the magazine works is probably something that the premium companies should look at making in a metal version.

Tried many different pellets, tried contacting them several times as well to find what they suggest with no luck. I was willing to work with them on the review but when I consistently get ignored I have zero patience. I truly think the guns overpriced and it's sad because I have always had good luck with other Gamo products over the years. 

Reactions: smay
Don't know how much springer time you've had Crosman999 but your experience tells me your not proficient with them. They take time to shoot well. Lightweight springers classified as " magnum" are even harder to tame and shoot accurately.

Regardless of experience the value is certainly not worth it. Sorry

No need to be sorry ! I enjoy you and Marleys hunting adventures and alot of your reviews ! More shooting time with that rifle would no doubt improve accuracy. But with that rifle there's only so much improvement one could get.

I really like mine. All air rifles are different, however I tried many different pellets and for me and my Gamo Magnum Swarm the FTT 14.66 Power, the copper coated ones are very, very accurate, most other pellets not so much. I can shoot a clover leaf at 30 yards, less than one inch at 50 yards and just to see yesterday shot a 2.5 inch group at 100 yards. It shoots them at 912 fps.

Yep springers take lots of practice and each one has a particular hold it likes, so all that fable about having to break in a new break barrel is nonsense, it is you the shooter that has to break in. Grin!! It may for sure take a week to find the right pellet and right hold. I am 67 and have shot springers for 30 plus years. Every springer has its own little particular method.

The butt cap on mine is solid, it has no detent or gap or such to even suggest it is meant to be removed for a magazine. So far so good, it has not popped out.....yet. I had a Diana Stealth that used to do that, I super glued it in and it still popped out, so I simply left it in a drawer.

Yep it is a beast to cock. if I am standing up and walking around I can cock it fine, sitting at a bench I have to use both hands. That cocking force is mean.

I put an aftermarket screw in my trigger, it breaks at one pound 3 once, any lighter and it is not safe, this also helps with accuracy.

One amazing thing, I have at least 3000 pellets through mine now and the stock screws are still tight, first springer I ever had that did not shoot the stock screws loose. They are a Torx type fastener. 

This is a hunting air rifle, not a three hour backyard plinking session rifle. Cock and shoot it 50 times it is time to go put it in the safe and pick up something else. 

Cheers

Kit

Reactions: CHPreps
Helpful and objective info, thanks. I had a similar experience with a Gamo Whisper about 10 years ago. Difficult to shoot accurately, loud (whoever named it the Whisper had a good sense of humor) and about $325 to my door. It was my first spring gun and I really had no idea what other options were available. I can’t see ever buying a Gamo when a Weihrauch hw50s or hw95s can be purchased for $275-$350.

R

I picked one up a few weeks ago, and went through, like 6-8 different pellets until I found one that shots fantastic.

I must admit this gun was a real pain to find something it liked however, I was not going to let it get the best of me.

I started out with the light pellets and moved up in weight until I found something it liked. The JSB Exact 8.44 shot really good and then I bought a couple tins of the Hatsan Vortex Strike pellets which weighs in at 9.25 grains. And my gun will shoot all day long with a group of 3/8" at 30 yards! I simply could not believe the difference between the groupings of these two pellets. 

I still need to put the Crony to it to see speed it is shooting however, the Vortex pellets are a true home run in my book. Give them a try before you count this gun out.

Reactions: Kcender
I kept looking for a heavier pellet and I came across them last week. And after shooting 10 of them, I went back onto Amazon an bought 10 tins of them.with only one in stock. The rest will be here around the 24th?

I was like you with how wild the gun shot for sure. And to tame it down, you will need a heavier pellet for sure. But, I found that pellet in that gun to be the best of four new rifles yet.

How you buy a tin!

Happy shooting!