Gamo swarm. Are they worth the hype?

I've got the Whisper Swarm in 22 about a month ago and so far, no complaints. I chose the .22 to remain subsonic in my back yard. 

I did have a few loading malfunctions, but that was more from operator error than anything. What happened for me is I chose to use Crosman domes which seem to be the most accurate, but fit the tightest in the mag. If I don't make sure the pellet is set all the way in, they can prevent the rotary mag from rotating. Other than that, it feeds just fine.

As mentioned, I've found that crosman domes, non-copper, work best. They even hit harder and penetrate deeper than the "penetrator" pellets I've tried. This is most likely because they are heavier with thicker skirt. I've also noticed that the Crosman Domes have far fewer defects in the skirt, so they are less likely to become fliers. I've only seen 2 bad pellets in the 500 ct tin I'm working through. I'm getting quarter sized groupings at 25 meters.

Accuracy at 25 yards is impressive for what I spent. I was nailing dime sized suckers at 25 meters. I'm still having trouble with trigger control, but I haven't tried adjusting the trigger yet either. Still, its as capable as the shooter. I do use bags, but rest the stock on my left hand.

The scope that came with it is decent. Still trying to decide if I want to swap it out or not, but since I know it won't be damaged by the recoil, I'll more than likely keep it. Just wish it had different crosshairs. 

Cocking isn't bad. My wife wouldn't like it, but its fine for me. Your arm might get tired after a hundred shots, but again, for the price, you get impressive power and accuracy, so I can't really complain. And the 10 rd mag means I can actually put more pellets down range than if I was using one of my CO2 rifles.

I've ready so many reviews on the Swarm rifles and on every single bad review, I've always been given reason to call into question the capability of the user, either because they didn't seem like an experience air gunner or they were only experienced with fire-arms (cordite burners) and so base their reviews off that experience. 

IMO, for the price (I paid just under $150 US), they're very nice rifles.

The .177 of the gen2 swarm magnum can be shot subsonic with heavier ammo. 10.5g seems about right. I use Crosman domed ultra magnum.

Their magazine system still needs work. Nice idea, but of the 3 gen2 swarms I've owned, two needed that system removed due to failures.

Gamo (partnered with BSA Optics) scopes have improved over the years, but I still wouldn't use one as my primary. Hammers, UTG, Hatsan, even cheap CVLIFE scopes do well on what I've had.

On a good day I get sub-1" groups at 25Y, but I could say for just about any air rifle. 50Y or greater would be a better test, but I don't have it. :(

Be sure to switch arms when cocking. Balance out those break-barrel muscles. :)

I don't hunt. Nothing against it, just never saw the need. But here's my precious posing with today's catch. Gluten-free too! lol

squirrelseason_gamobonehunter_wood22_july2021a.1650708550.jpg

#pdxfrank

Reactions: redd
I don’t think there is an air rifle made lives up to the hype. In the United States, as far as I am concerned, marketing = lies. And the gun makers that keep it 100% real, like Weihrauch, are still being hyped by the distributor. That said, I was not disappointed by my R9 in the least, lol.

But I do think a Gamo Swarm is definitely worth the price of admission. Be a good plinking gun, be an ok squirrel gun too.

Welp, I've read through this entire thread and find it interesting and amusing but not so much informative, someone said evidently, there isn't too much GAMO love on this forum, and in my opinion that's a pretty true statement to a point, I say that because I've found that to be true of other types and brands of air guns as well.

One member here said he had three GAMO Swarm rifles and two of them had Swarm related feed issues, all were inaccurate and none were reliable (it makes one wonder why it took three bad guns for him to stop buying them, the same member showed a picture of "his favorite Gamo Swarm rifle which he says he shoots open sighted, yet there's no sights on the rifle which is clearly made to be scope sighted, more over he gives us a link to his video web site to enable us to check out his air guns, but U-tube has terminated his membership for (among other infractions) making false claims.

I have about a dozen or so air rifles and pistols, all of which has been attacked in some way on this forum as being cheap, inaccurate, and unreliable, in all honesty I doubt that there is a gun made that checks every shooter's boxes, it's normal for people to have bias against something, this forum is no different and I wouldn't expect it to be.

It's true that all of my guns are not the highest priced or the best quality that can be had, but with a little maintenance and care, and the basic knowledge of guns and shooting they have all served me well and continue to give me great pleasure and loads of fun, including my GAMO Gen 1 10-X Swarm .22 cal. wood stocked Bone Collector, it going on three years old, has never given me a problem, I has a Hawke variable scope mounted on it and shoots within 3/4" at 40 yds. with 14.66 Gr. H&N Field Target Trophy's for about 22 FPE, plenty good enough for taking most small game at 30~40 yds.

Is the GAMO Swarm Bone Collector my favorite air rifle, No, I have allot of favorites, but it is one of my better looking favorites, I just think it's too bad that new air gun shooters are dissuaded from buying perfectly acceptable air guns because of someone's bias or general lack of product knowledge.

Welp, I've read through this entire thread and find it interesting and amusing but not so much informative, someone said evidently, there isn't too much GAMO love on this forum, and in my opinion that's a pretty true statement to a point, I say that because I've found that to be true of other types and brands of air guns as well.

One member here said he had three GAMO Swarm rifles and two of them had Swarm related feed issues, all were inaccurate and none were reliable (it makes one wonder why it took three bad guns for him to stop buying them, the same member showed a picture of "his favorite Gamo Swarm rifle which he says he shoots open sighted, yet there's no sights on the rifle which is clearly made to be scope sighted, more over he gives us a link to his video web site to enable us to check out his air guns, but U-tube has terminated his membership for (among other infractions) making false claims.

I have about a dozen or so air rifles and pistols, all of which has been attacked in some way on this forum as being cheap, inaccurate, and unreliable, in all honesty I doubt that there is a gun made that checks every shooter's boxes, it's normal for people to have bias against something, this forum is no different and I wouldn't expect it to be.

It's true that all of my guns are not the highest priced or the best quality that can be had, but with a little maintenance and care, and the basic knowledge of guns and shooting they have all served me well and continue to give me great pleasure and loads of fun, including my GAMO Gen 1 10-X Swarm .22 cal. wood stocked Bone Collector, it going on three years old, has never given me a problem, I has a Hawke variable scope mounted on it and shoots within 3/4" at 40 yds. with 14.66 Gr. H&N Field Target Trophy's for about 22 FPE, plenty good enough for taking most small game at 30~40 yds.

Is the GAMO Swarm Bone Collector my favorite air rifle, No, I have allot of favorites, but it is one of my better looking favorites, I just think it's too bad that new air gun shooters are dissuaded from buying perfectly acceptable air guns because of someone's bias or general lack of product knowledge.

I see the same thing across other forums...watches, firearms, survival, etc.

I do generally feel that you do get more by paying more within reason. There is a cost-benefit decision, and there is a point of severely diminishing returns.

In terms of what you said, I am glad you enjoy this shared passion! And at 22 FPE shot accurately you could handily stretch out your quarry over 50 yards...

Shoot in good health

@Homer, i've not seen a Gamo gen2 Swarm that didn't have sights. (EDIT: mea culpa)

Although 2 of the 3 I've owned had magazine feed issues, they are accurate. Sub-1" groups at 25Y all day long. That's good enough for mortals.

I would NOT buy another, but I didn't buy them anyway so I don't feel as if I've wasted money. But 300 bucks for a gamo swarm, I can think of better choices for ~the same $$$.

Meanwhile, yeah, this site is definitely fanboy for specific brands. But eh, their loss. Shouldn't effect the reader any.

Speaking of YouTube, I have several airgun videos on my page if anyone's interested in that sorta thing. :) Instagram if you prefer pics.

f

my .22 gen2 magnum was a couple different colors. here it is shortly before i sold it. too many guns, not enough time. :)

swarmmagnumgen2_withscope002.1650829374.jpg

IMO more about the shooter than the gun, but it does at least this good.
swarmmag22_version2.1650829576.jpg

half-inch hole, bi-pod ("artillery hold" is over-rated), 25Y, open-sights, 10 shots.
i can't do that every time, but often enough i can count on it. :)

As mentioned, I've found that crosman domes, non-copper, work best. They even hit harder and penetrate deeper than the "penetrator" pellets I've tried. This is most likely because they are heavier with thicker skirt. I've also noticed that the Crosman Domes have far fewer defects in the skirt, so they are less likely to become fliers. I've only seen 2 bad pellets in the 500 ct tin I'm working through. I'm getting quarter sized groupings at 25 meters.

IMO, for the price (I paid just under $150 US), they're very nice rifles.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-bent-skirt-experiment/

@Homer, i've not seen a Gamo gen2 Swarm that didn't have sights. (EDIT: mea culpa)

Although 2 of the 3 I've owned had magazine feed issues, they are accurate. Sub-1" groups at 25Y all day long. That's good enough for mortals.

I would NOT buy another, but I didn't buy them anyway so I don't feel as if I've wasted money. But 300 bucks for a gamo swarm, I can think of better choices for ~the same $$$.

Meanwhile, yeah, this site is definitely fanboy for specific brands. But eh, their loss. Shouldn't effect the reader any.

Speaking of YouTube, I have several airgun videos on my page if anyone's interested in that sorta thing. :) Instagram if you prefer pics.

f

I only have one GAMO Swarm, the first edition Bone Collector, my son has two GAMO Swarm Rifles I'm not sure which models but I believe one of them is the 10X Swarm Magnum, of the three we have experienced magazine issues with all three, they don't like long pellets or skinny pellets, but if you are aware of what they like and stick to those pellets they are goof proof.

Ours shoot very well in every way, my son has always admired the wooden stock on my Bone Collector, not long after I bought mine they went out of production, then GAMO brought them back with a few upgrades in the Gen 2 edition, they soon sold out and I don't know if they are coming back, however GAMO has a few left over and are selling them for $299.99, but I did manage to find one at a small shop in Ohio on clearance for $220.00, it should be in todays postal delivery according to USPS Tracking. 

As far as magazine issues go most magazine fed air guns have the same issues with oversized pellets.

I like the way you dish out the “fan boy” label, Frank. All I can tell you is to shoot less than 1.5” at 50 yards with all other break barrels I have used, it had to be the perfect pellet in perfect conditions and I had to hold my tongue just right. Got an R9, every pellet I have used in the 10 ish grain weight range is less than 1.5” in all conditions from 50 yards. And I don’t have to get the hold absolutely perfect to do it.

If that makes me a fan boy, weirauch earned my loyalty.

Nothing wrong with a cheaper gun I’ve used dozen and killed a lot of critters with guns under $100. But my R9 changed everything!

I always watch AAR on Air on youtube.com. His review of these guns found them to be very accurate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYT2K9DQsbY In the U.S. these guns are sold emphasizing their power, which often means perfect form and practiced control are necessary for accuracy. The guns Andy reviewed were the UK 12 ft. lb. version. Maybe the answer for a Gamo accurate for everyone is to fit a UK spec. gas ram into a U.S. market rifle.

My neighbor has one to thin out the squirrel population. The squirrels are safe....

This is what stops me from getting one. I need my gun to be reliably accurate to 40 yards give or take. And to use the above example, I'd like to know its lights out for the chipmunk at 35 yards

Exactly why I posted this!! I regularly hunt chipmunks and tree rats in the woods, and if I can’t rely on it to be accurate enough at that short of a range, I guess I’ll have to deal with single loading for now. It’s such a bummer cause that mag system is awesome. But totally useless if it’s not repeatably accurate!

If I did choose to shoot a squirrel with one of my Gamo rifles, I fear the squirrel is NOT safe. Grin. Never had a Fusion or regular swarm, however I have many air rifles both pcp and springers. One of my favorites is my .22 bone collector shooting the Hornet pellet. It will consistently shoot a one inch group at 40 yards. My 97 will shoot a 3/8 or less at 40 yards, however this does not matter to the squirrel as either way the squirrel is not safe. Lol. The bone collector is simply a swarm with a larger diameter piston, a bit more fps and a wooden stock . You can buy them on sale for 300 or less. The swarms are what 289 or so? As I grew older I kinda would rather just watch that squirrel than shoot it. If they raid my sweet corn patch which they do, I just plant an extra row for them. I would much rather have Kentucky Fried anyway.

Cheers

Kit

One member here said he had three GAMO Swarm rifles and two of them had Swarm related feed issues, all were inaccurate and none were reliable (it makes one wonder why it took three bad guns for him to stop buying them, the same member showed a picture of "his favorite Gamo Swarm rifle which he says he shoots open sighted, yet there's no sights on the rifle which is clearly made to be scope sighted, more over he gives us a link to his video web site to enable us to check out his air guns, but U-tube has terminated his membership for (among other infractions) making false claims.

I have about a dozen or so air rifles and pistols, all of which has been attacked in some way on this forum as being cheap, inaccurate, and unreliable, in all honesty I doubt that there is a gun made that checks every shooter's boxes, it's normal for people to have bias against something, this forum is no different and I wouldn't expect it to be.

It's true that all of my guns are not the highest priced or the best quality that can be had, but with a little maintenance and care, and the basic knowledge of guns and shooting they have all served me well and continue to give me great pleasure and loads of fun, including my GAMO Gen 1 10-X Swarm .22 cal. wood stocked Bone Collector, it going on three years old, has never given me a problem, I has a Hawke variable scope mounted on it and shoots within 3/4" at 40 yds. with 14.66 Gr. H&N Field Target Trophy's for about 22 FPE, plenty good enough for taking most small game at 30~40 yds.

Thank you that helps me a lot. I'm looking to buy the swarm bone collector 10 x gen 3 I. It comes highly recommended but from nobody I know.
I can't afford a $1,000 air rifle. Thanks again for your direct words.
Redd

Reactions: Moe M.