Gamo Rockets...

I bought a tin of these recently in .177 (9.6 gr). I wanted free shipping on other items from a retailer so I added these on which basically made them "free."

First impressions: They aren't that bad as far as accuracy, I was expecting worse overall but they actually group. Not as good as some others, but not bad at all. The tin I received had zero major defects in the pellets which is a big plus.

They indeed do what they claim, and that is penetrate. Almost too well. I shot one at a pine board at 30 yards and it sailed right through it.

Which leads me to think this isn't much more of a novelty pellet really. Don't get me wrong, I kind of expected that before I ordered them, but I just wanted to see for myself how they perform. It seems to me that this pellet may only be useful for head-shots. I'd hate to hit a squirrel with it in the boiler and just watch it sail right through without a quick clean kill. Anyone else found any usefulness from these?

I bought some once years ago and found them to group decently at 25 yards. Still have about half of the tin left and will probably never use them unless squirrels begin wearing plate armor and helmets. Like you said, it’s a novelty pellet...an interesting thing to experiment with but which has no practical application, and is too expensive for everyday shooting.

I have them try and they group very good from the springer at 850 fps

I agree, they grouped well for me as well. I guess I am trying to figure out the cost/accuracy ratio on these. I can get similar accurate groups with Crosman Premiers, and even better with JSB's and especially H&N FTT's. I can't knock the performance of the Gamo Rocket, they do exactly what they claim, I am just trying to get my head around practical use (although it was fun blowing holes through wood and sheet metal).