Gamo Redfire VS Chipmunk

I switched over to the .22 Gamo Redfires from the Crow Magnums for my "chipping" adventures today. I saw a ton of the little buggers yesterday, but none of them gave me a clean shot. Today, one of them obliged and gave me a downward shot at about 30 feet. It was on all fours facing me and I aimed center mass. Taking the shot, the chippie jumped and flopped around like it was being electrocuted.

By the time I got down from the deck, I had a hard time finding him in the weeds, but there was a HUGE blood splatter on the rock he had been sitting on. I looked around a little bit and found him about a foot from where I had hit him, half underneath the slab for the AC unit. When I pulled him out by the tail, I saw that his entire front half was covered in blood. Poking around for the wounds, all I found was a slightly smaller than .22 cal hole centered in the top of his head. If I would have had gloves, I would have checked more, but like I said, this one was a mess. I have never seen this much blood on a shot chipmunk, usually there is a little near the entry/exit wounds, but nothing like this.

Since this one was so messy, no close-up pics. But I'm wondering if anyone else has had a 'bleeder' like this one before?

tn_chip 9.20.1600640456.jpg

You definitely slayed that one! Yeah, I have had a bleeder or two. Hit the right spot and with all that spasming an artery will empty them out.

When I had my 1377, I hit chipmunks with solid hits from the breast bone to the top of the melon using CPHP pellets, none of them bled more than a drop or two. The first two chippies I hit with the .22, 392 - first one was a bleeder, chest shot, left an impact splash of blood on the back stop, a blood trail and a smear of it on the brick leading into its den...it wasn't recovered. The second was hit near the ear on the left side and exited on the base of the neck on the opposite side and there was only a little blood near the entry wound. This one was a solid hit in the coconut/centered on top, and since I didn't have gloves, I wasn't going to dig around for the exit with all that blood, but I did do a cursory check and there was no pellet under the skin anywhere. At the range (30') and the power level I was shooting (8 pumps) it had to be a pass-through-especially with the "pass-through blood splash" on the rock it had been sitting on, I just wasn't seeing the exit wound.

I know the CPHP pellets DO NOT expand, even if bone is hit, with the velocities the 1377 was capable of, but I don't know about the Red Fires, I've never used them before. And I've never really 'played' with a .22 before this, I guess the 1 mm difference between .177 and .22 DOES make a difference on impact.