Gamo Red Fire pellets quality

Afternoon everyone,

I was wandering aimlessly around Wal Mart this morning and thought I would take a look at their offerings for air gun shooting. I needed to stock up on .177 and .22 pellets anyway. I found Gamo Red Fire in both calibers and decided to try them out. The .22 are 15.4 grain. I tried them in a Benjamin Maximus scoped rifle. Sitting in a chair shooting offhand in a little bit of drizzling rain at 15 yards I was getting 1/2 inch groups consistently so I'm thinking the Maximus likes this pellet. I fired a few at a milk jug 40 yards away and hit it but didn't feel like getting wet so I don't know what the group size might have been. I pumped this rifle up probably two or three weeks ago and got these results on that fill. I'm told that air rifles, like other rifles, often tend to like one ammo load over others and that seems to be the case here. I've used one or two others in this rifle but these results are noticably better so I think I'll stock up.They aren't expensive. Can't wait to try the .177's. Is Gamo generally known for good quality pellets? I know of only one other air gunner around in the area and he's hard to catch up to so I'm asking here. There's a match at the CMP next month and if the .177's do well in practice I may try them there.. 

Rick H.

They are not very good pellets and have not shot that well out of the many guns I have tried them in.

15 yards is not enough distance to try out a pellet for accuracy unless that is the distance you shoot all of the time.

A 1/2 inch group at 15 yards does not say much about the pellet, the gun, or the shooter.

Try it again shooting at 50 yards to find a good pellet.

I usually will shoot the JSB pellets if I want the most accuracy from my guns although several shoot the Crosman premiers fairly well also.

A couple of my lower powered pistols will shoot the Gamo Match and RWS hollow point pellets fairly well but most prefer the Meisterkugeln or JSB.

My First PCP Rifle was a Benjamin maximus in 17 caliber And shot the 10 Grn. H&N barracuda The best. I bought it probably 7 years ago. JSB just wouldn’t group good but found out they didn’t group good in anything I owned then. I’m pretty sure I got a bad batch because all the JSB that I use now shoot good.But I never had much luck with any Gamo pellet that I used in any of my guns.

I should note that at the match I'll be participating in next month it is a 15 yard range. I have a couple of springers that will split cards at that distance. I won't be shooting the Maximus but a Beeman AR 2078A at the match which is also very tight in grouping at 15 yards using a peep sight instead of the scope on the Maximus. I'm not sure what constitutes minute of angle accuracy at 15 yards but I'm happy with what I'm getting and having attended a couple matches as a spectator I think I'll be competitive in this group. Nothing in my modest arsenal of air guns is higher end expensive but they do what I ask of them. They are reasonably accurate or better, fun to shoot and if need be will help with pest control. The Red Fire pellets were a pleasant surprise yesterday especially considering the conditions and my casual stance. The Maximus is the first modern pcp I've ever owned and the Beeman was purchased specifically for match use. Different guns give varying performance with the same ammo and that's true of everything I've ever shot. It's nice to see that pellets that work so well in this rifle are cost effective and close by. I'll check the .177 pellets later today in the Beeman and see what happens. And by the way biohazardman as a centerfire competitor I can generally shoot 1/2moa beyond 600 yards so I'm feeling pretty happy about half inch grouping offhand with the Maximus. But that's just me.

Rick H.

I don't know if this is worth mentioning but I took those pellets and the same rifle out today to a place where I had more room and set up for 50 yards. Offhand I was getting about 1" groups so I used the back of a chair as a make-do rest and went back to 1/2" groups immediately. I didn't have time for the .177's so maybe tomorrow if the weather allows.

Rick H.

I think I will have to pick some up next time I pop in a Wally. I have not had any luck with their other pellets but I never have tested those out. Had cans in my hand at one point but never did end up getting them. Visually they look good, but that is not going to say much. They look very much like a pollymag. Not that they are but Im very curious now.

I just took the .177's out and ran them through a Bejamin Titan with a scope and a Beeman AR2078A with a peep site and got 1/2-3/4 inch groups from both rifles. The 3/4 groups came from the Beeman and I'll blame the peep site and my lack of practice with it on that group but the Titan shot beautifully with them. I'll definitely be picking up some more of those. I guess I should try them next in two old but restored Crosman pump rifles.

Rick H.