Gamo PR 776

OK, so my Gamo PR 776 arrived today and here are my initial impressions.

It feels like a real gun. Has a good heft to it The magazines (mine came with 2) are actual steel, which is good, but makes loading them with pellets a little more difficult--I used a CO2 cartridge to get the pellets to seat properly in the magazine--its hard to do with just a thumb or finger and you want them bad dudes flush or the gun won't fire. The cylinder spins nice and free just like a real gun, and the hammer cocks crisply. I only put 8 rounds through (in my garage and into my crossbow target) but it shot. Tomorrow I'll take it out to the range and see how it does at 7 and 10 yards. Not having used them yet, I do like the sights--we'll see. The rear is adjustable both ways. Will be shooting it single action. The safety is a little stiff but I imagine that will loosen up with use. People complain about the grips, and that is probably valid, but I can live with them. I'll be shooting Crosman Premier 10.5 gr Piranha's in .177 caliber, and that is what I loaded for the first shoot. It was the only decent pellet Walmart had at the time. They should work just fine--i hope. Yeah, there is no rail, but I guess you could epoxy one on there if you are bling inclined--like some guy did in the reviews section of Amazon. I bought if off Ebay and got it for $75 with free shipping so DANG--hard to go wrong there.

I'll report back tomorrow after I work it for a few hours. I had already picked up 2 extra mags and so with the two that came with the gun I should be Quicks Draw McGraw at the range tomorrow. I also got a box of 12 gram Umarex CO2 cartridges--they seem to work great on my rifle. Probably burn through those quick fast and in a hurry.

OK, just got back from the range. First of all let me state that YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL LOADING THE MAGAZINES!  I used 4 magazines, and every time I changed mags at least one pellet had not been fired, sometimes two and three. I started pushing the pellets flush with the butt end of a CO2 cartridge but sometimes this method mis-shapes the pellet's skirt making them vulnerable to not shooting. I am hoping that as the magazines get worn in, this situation will improve--should improve.

Secondly, I had another issue. I need reading glasses, and when I wore them I could see the sights clearly, but couldn't see the target clearly. When I took them off it was a vice a versa thing. I played around with squinting and finally came upon a tolerable compromise--enough so I can't blame that.

Now, I shot at 7 yards at a target sheet the size of your standard sized copier paper, which in fact it was, with 4 3.5 inch bullseye targets printed on them and an X printed dead center--which is what I shot at.
1590771111_4765520575ed13da7d9c0b7.35910929.jpg
I wish I could say I was shooting at the bottom left bullseye, but I was not. Just the X. This is the result-that's about 5 mags worth of Crosman Premier 10.5 gr Piranha's in .177 caliber, and I was shooting free hand--with no rest. Keep in mind I have NOT shot any kind of pistol in over 20 years and during this segment was figuring out my vision problem thing. The gun is clearly not well balanced, but dang for $75 what can you expect? Ok, so I was all over the place but please keep in mind this was my first time shooting this pistol and its first time being shot, so we are just getting to know each other.

1590771466_7625452415ed13f0a32f724.77770857.jpg
Ok, second target. I started out free handing this but decided to shoot it off a rest and those are the rounds in that poorly drawn circle. DANG! That actually ain't too bad. Obviously, I have a lot of work to do to become anywhere close to proficient with this thing, but at least I now know that the pistol is accurate.

I got 45-50 good shots out of a single CO2 cartridge--and I'm in the Florida heat--89 degrees this morning. I have to admit I love shooting that thing--its a lot of fun and quite a change from my Umarex 850 M2 rifle. There were more than a few hand canons being blasted off in close proximity and they sometimes caused me to jump my aim--KABOOM! I don't know how people shoot them things!

So, all in all, I am enjoying the gun and still think of it as a good purchase.  Oh yeah, I should mention I did get hit in the shins by a few ricochets--which kind of surprised me because the target is adhered to 3 inch pieces of foam--but maybe I hit the 2x4's holding up the whole thing. Didn't hurt, just surprised me. 

My crosmans there old but I don't recall pellet issues with them seemed like it was the deal for the powerlet and the screen to lock them in was the pain . Then the seals went bad and not replaceable or something.

Anyway after seeing this post of yours I was in the shop and recalled the box one of my co2 revolvers was in and dug it out.

One of the 2 was in it the crosman t 38 

Maybe now I'm older and a bit smarter(HA!) May see if I can get it going.

The 2ed revolver is a crosman Shiloh did not Find it must be deep in my archives of junk.

Man it was like the 1980's when I used these pistols

Crosman Premier Piranha pellets are among the WORST I've personally used in my airguns. Springers, CO2 rifle and pistol, or PCP makes no difference - the Piranhas are hands-down the worst. Even the el cheapo Daisy wadcutters @ $4 for 500 can outperform the Piranhas. Before you make any final judgement on that Gamo PR 776 do yourself a huge favor and find other pellets to put through the gun. A low-to-medium weight domed pellet (CPHP, H&N FFT, Crosman Premier Dome...) would be my choice since the CO2 pistols typically don't produce the kind of power that will allow a heavy pellet to shine. Even Crosman Premier Heavy Domes (10.5 gr just like the Piranhas) will do far better than those stinkin' fish pellets you used. Yeah, it's my mileage and yours may vary but... Dang! those Piranhas have never been a favored pellet for anyone who's been posting here that I can recall.