• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gamo magnum guys

Hello, new guy here. I grew up playing with a crossman 760 and a while back inherited a whisper fusion 177 from my dad (still my favorite plinker). I recently purchased a 22 hunter extreme pro and want to know what amo fellow gamo magnum shooters like.
I have 63 yards to work with and looking to eliminate some ground hogs, please let me know what you all like.

20220822_174557.jpg

Both JSB 15s and 18s work well in mine. The JSB RS pellets actually shoot best BUT they are such a loose fit that they run slower than the 15s do. Long story short, I would start with the 15s and 18s and go from there or just grab an H&N and JSB sampler pack and go from there. That would probably be your best bet.

I see you have H&N tins on your bench there. Which ones are they?

Reactions: 270windude
Both JSB 15s and 18s work well in mine. The JSB RS pellets actually shoot best BUT they are such a loose fit that they run slower than the 15s do. Long story short, I would start with the 15s and 18s and go from there or just grab an H&N and JSB sampler pack and go from there. That would probably be your best bet.

I see you have H&N tins on your bench there. Which ones are they?
I like both of these and have had good results from the crosman 14.3s. I ordered a tin of 15 grain gamo pellets with the gun🙄 love the gun but gamo pellets suck.

20220902_195555.jpg

Yeah that's not bad at all with that gun. Once you get used to it a little more you SHOULD be able to sneak an inch or so at 50yds with the occasional really, really good group. You'll also probably get some pretty significant fliers on occasion but thats just magnum life haha.

I would still grab a tin of the JSB 18s to see how they manage. You may be pleasantly suprised.

Reactions: 270windude
Yeah that's not bad at all with that gun. Once you get used to it a little more you SHOULD be able to sneak an inch or so at 50yds with the occasional really, really good group. You'll also probably get some pretty significant fliers on occasion but thats just magnum life haha.

I would still grab a tin of the JSB 18s to see how they manage. You may be pleasantly suprised.
Yeah, I didn't think my groups were bad. I'm about to place an order with pyramid (labor day sale) and looking for opinions. Thanks for your input JSBs are in my cart.

Hello, new guy here. I grew up playing with a crossman 760 and a while back inherited a whisper fusion 177 from my dad (still my favorite plinker). I recently purchased a 22 hunter extreme pro and want to know what amo fellow gamo magnum shooters like.
I have 63 yards to work with and looking to eliminate some ground hogs, please let me know what you all like.

View attachment 286981
Gamo! Quick put on your ear muffs, this is an HW forum and we are about to be coated with tar and sent to the feather room. Chuckle!!

There is no answer to your question. All air rifles due to so many variables from weight, harmonics, condition of any particular barrel, trigger pull weight and the list goes on, now add to that the particulars for any individual shooter and there is never a known pellet for any air rifle. You simply have to shoot a bunch of them to find out which one works best in that particular air rifle as any three rifles of the same brand, taken off the assembly line at random will never like the same pellet.
The only definite statement I can make is that domed style pellets overall are always the best choice, ultimately they will be the most accurate and they are always adequate for hunting small game. All those fancy perforated, hollow points, piranhas, are made to cause you to buy them, not to actually be the most accurate.

I have quite a few Gamo air rifles, along with the standard stable full of my German made HW rifles. They all like different pellets. However at the end of the day and after hours of shooting, lots of practice, the addition of a trigger screw modification and triggers set as close to one pound and still be safe, as close as possible, my results show that a great many times No Lead pellets work well and also due to increase in velocity produce more FPE than lead and do carry that FPE at range, unlike the urban fable that heavy lead pellets retain more energy downrange. Simply not factual as my chrony measures speed and fpe at all ranges .

So:

My 2020 Model .22 Gen Two Magnum likes the Air Arms 16 grain 552 yellow label pellet. Consistent 3/4 to one inch groups at 50 yards.
My brand new Gen 3i .22 Magnum likes the Barracuda Green no lead pellet. Extreme accuracy with this one at all ranges. This one is dangerous as it is approaching HW97 accuracy.

My older Bone Collector loves the H and N field target trophy 14.66 . However overall not as accurate as the magnum and one inch groups at 35 yards is pushing it for this one so I call it a 35 yard gun.

My New Gen 3i Bone Collector seems to like only the Red Fire Gamo pellet. Still testing this one as I have torn up two scopes so far as I did not have a decent one left to put on this one, so it ate up a HW scope that I got in some package buy and ate a genuine lifetime super true never fail leapers for lunch, and I have a new Vortex on the way for it, however in the times the scopes did work the red fire was so far showing promise. Also the mounting area for the scope is very short, so I have had to convert to a picatinny rail to allow the use of a decent scope. This is a design failure for the Bone Collector and the Fusion as they are designed for the cheap 11 inch included terrible scopes provided with the guns. For a decent scope you have to add a picatinny rail that allows you to offset for eye relief and use a longer scope. Any longer than around 13 to 14 inches and they simply will not work. You have to stay clear of the magazine system.

My older Gen Two Fusion .22 loves the JSB 15.89 , yet is also what I call a 35 yard rifle. One inch groups at that range but not to be trusted beyond that.
My new Gen 3i loves the GTO Predator 11.75 and I call this one a 50 yard rifle as it can group one inch at that range with these pellets.

So as you can see all of them are different, all of them like different ammo and each one has quirks particular to that rifle. I have so many air rifles that I keep a record of each one and what it likes , the fps etc, etc. That way if I do not shoot it for a month or so , I can look at the record and refresh my memory.

Gamo rifles are fun to shoot. They are light, well balanced and I think look nice. They are adequate for all common use and are accurate enough for all general small game ranges. They are also much faster to load due to the magazine system. However if you wish a ragged one hole group at 50 yards , I still pick up my tuned HW 97 for precise target work.

Cheers
Kit

Gamo! Quick put on your ear muffs, this is an HW forum and we are about to be coated with tar and sent to the feather room. Chuckle!!

There is no answer to your question. All air rifles due to so many variables from weight, harmonics, condition of any particular barrel, trigger pull weight and the list goes on, now add to that the particulars for any individual shooter and there is never a known pellet for any air rifle. You simply have to shoot a bunch of them to find out which one works best in that particular air rifle as any three rifles of the same brand, taken off the assembly line at random will never like the same pellet.
The only definite statement I can make is that domed style pellets overall are always the best choice, ultimately they will be the most accurate and they are always adequate for hunting small game. All those fancy perforated, hollow points, piranhas, are made to cause you to buy them, not to actually be the most accurate.

I have quite a few Gamo air rifles, along with the standard stable full of my German made HW rifles. They all like different pellets. However at the end of the day and after hours of shooting, lots of practice, the addition of a trigger screw modification and triggers set as close to one pound and still be safe, as close as possible, my results show that a great many times No Lead pellets work well and also due to increase in velocity produce more FPE than lead and do carry that FPE at range, unlike the urban fable that heavy lead pellets retain more energy downrange. Simply not factual as my chrony measures speed and fpe at all ranges .

So:

My 2020 Model .22 Gen Two Magnum likes the Air Arms 16 grain 552 yellow label pellet. Consistent 3/4 to one inch groups at 50 yards.
My brand new Gen 3i .22 Magnum likes the Barracuda Green no lead pellet. Extreme accuracy with this one at all ranges. This one is dangerous as it is approaching HW97 accuracy.

My older Bone Collector loves the H and N field target trophy 14.66 . However overall not as accurate as the magnum and one inch groups at 35 yards is pushing it for this one so I call it a 35 yard gun.

My New Gen 3i Bone Collector seems to like only the Red Fire Gamo pellet. Still testing this one as I have torn up two scopes so far as I did not have a decent one left to put on this one, so it ate up a HW scope that I got in some package buy and ate a genuine lifetime super true never fail leapers for lunch, and I have a new Vortex on the way for it, however in the times the scopes did work the red fire was so far showing promise. Also the mounting area for the scope is very short, so I have had to convert to a picatinny rail to allow the use of a decent scope. This is a design failure for the Bone Collector and the Fusion as they are designed for the cheap 11 inch included terrible scopes provided with the guns. For a decent scope you have to add a picatinny rail that allows you to offset for eye relief and use a longer scope. Any longer than around 13 to 14 inches and they simply will not work. You have to stay clear of the magazine system.

My older Gen Two Fusion .22 loves the JSB 15.89 , yet is also what I call a 35 yard rifle. One inch groups at that range but not to be trusted beyond that.
My new Gen 3i loves the GTO Predator 11.75 and I call this one a 50 yard rifle as it can group one inch at that range with these pellets.

So as you can see all of them are different, all of them like different ammo and each one has quirks particular to that rifle. I have so many air rifles that I keep a record of each one and what it likes , the fps etc, etc. That way if I do not shoot it for a month or so , I can look at the record and refresh my memory.

Gamo rifles are fun to shoot. They are light, well balanced and I think look nice. They are adequate for all common use and are accurate enough for all general small game ranges. They are also much faster to load due to the magazine system. However if you wish a ragged one hole group at 50 yards , I still pick up my tuned HW 97 for precise target work.

Cheers
Kit
good reply , stayed on topic , good info.

Reactions: Painterman

So:

Cheers
Kit
Thank you for taking the time and offering such an informative reply.

So:

Cheers
Kit
I absolutely love Vortex scopes. The glass is crystal clear and the reticle is easy to see. They will be my choice from now on above other brands.

So got the scope last night and mounted it and this morning out to the range. Some four hours later and around 300 shots the Redfire Pellet won the day for the Gen3i .22 Bone Collector. It was putting one hole groups at 20 yards so moved out to 40. I shot a final 10 shot group of one inch at that distance, gave the rifle a thumbs up and it has won the privilege to hang on the wall in the living room. My HW rifles are a bit upset about this, but I am not listening to them. Grin!! It is light, very well balanced, also easy to shoot offhand under real hunting conditions and is putting out 22 FPE on average.
Yep one of my favorites for sure.
Kit

1" at 40yds with a 22fpe piston gun is nothing to sneer at but not suprising either. Gamos Magnum guns are better than most if you dont get a lemon. If they still made a wood stock version without that silly mag system I'd be all over it. Its the perfect truck gun.

What I am suprised about is those Red Fires working the best. I’ve put them through more than a few guns, Gamos included, and they never did great.

1" at 40yds with a 22fpe piston gun is nothing to sneer at but not suprising either. Gamos Magnum guns are better than most if you dont get a lemon. If they still made a wood stock version without that silly mag system I'd be all over it. Its the perfect truck gun.

What I am suprised about is those Red Fires working the best. I’ve put them through more than a few guns, Gamos included, and they never did great.
Agreed, historically over the years my opinion of any Gamo pellet is not very high. I consider them all junk. For whatever reason this set up loves them. However it tosses the H and N Hornets in a three inch group at 40 yards. I read a lot about those hornets and I do not have a single rifle that will shoot them well. A close second is the ole Crossman Ultra Domed. A wood stock version is called the Whisper Fusion Mach One. It has the same larger piston and averages 22 to 23 fpe. In the past couple of years and I am just guessing, I think BSA is making the rifle barrels. Would a new Fusion Mach One have a new barrel or would it be old warehouse stock, I do not know the answer to that. All the newer Gamo rifles I have purchased are much more accurate than those of yesteryear. They are not HW match grade, however they are what I call adequate.
Cheers
Kit

Agreed, historically over the years my opinion of any Gamo pellet is not very high. I consider them all junk. For whatever reason this set up loves them. However it tosses the H and N Hornets in a three inch group at 40 yards. I read a lot about those hornets and I do not have a single rifle that will shoot them well. A close second is the ole Crossman Ultra Domed. A wood stock version is called the Whisper Fusion Mach One. It has the same larger piston and averages 22 to 23 fpe. In the past couple of years and I am just guessing, I think BSA is making the rifle barrels. Would a new Fusion Mach One have a new barrel or would it be old warehouse stock, I do not know the answer to that. All the newer Gamo rifles I have purchased are much more accurate than those of yesteryear. They are not HW match grade, however they are what I call adequate.
Cheers
Kit
With that level of power and accuracy they're a solid 30yd (maybe 40?) groundhog getter. What I'm particularly interested in though is a single shot Magnum with the Bone Collector stock and with Gamos "bull barrel" design. I can't stand the look of that bulky moderator that they put on some of their guns.

I absolutely love Vortex scopes. The glass is crystal clear and the reticle is easy to see. They will be my choice from now on above other brands.

So got the scope last night and mounted it and this morning out to the range. Some four hours later and around 300 shots the Redfire Pellet won the day for the Gen3i .22 Bone Collector. It was putting one hole groups at 20 yards so moved out to 40. I shot a final 10 shot group of one inch at that distance, gave the rifle a thumbs up and it has won the privilege to hang on the wall in the living room. My HW rifles are a bit upset about this, but I am not listening to them. Grin!! It is light, very well balanced, also easy to shoot offhand under real hunting conditions and is putting out 22 FPE on average.
Yep one of my favorites for sure.
Kit
Vortex scope, what model?

I have the Hunter Extreme Pro, wood stock, single shot, no optics on sale for $219. I think it's a great bargain.