GAMO DOVETAIL RAIL DEFORMED

Had a lot of trouble getting a mount to say firm on a GAMO springer. After many tries, I think the problem is that the dovetail rails are deformed and therefore all the mounts do not say put. After 4 or 5 shots the mounts slide toward the stock. Loctite does not make any difference. Cleaned every thing with denatured alcohol then screwed it down with Loctite. Same problem. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

If you've tried everything and nothing works, then try this:

Go to your local motor parts store and get a small quantity of valve lapping compound. Clean the rail again. Thoroughly mix the compound and apply it sparingly in the grooves of the rail. Try to put it only where the rings go. Tighten the rings to the rail. Thoroughly remove any excess valve lapping compound. It's there to stay, guaranteed!!! To remove, simply loosen the rings from the rail as usual. It's not glue. It's molybdenum grit. It embeds between the two parts locking them together until you loosen the screws again. It will hold even if the rail is deformed. Just don't get any of that grit where it doesn't belong and you'll be good to go.

BeemanR7

You didn't tell us that you didn't like the gun and wanted to get rid of it.

At any rate, everyone should have a small quantity of valve lapping compound, and not just to keep rings from slipping on springers. There are hundreds of uses for that stuff when nothing else will work. Ever have a philips head screw that just won't budge, and then you stripped the head out round? Just dress your screwdriver tip with a dab of valve lapping compound and drive it into the stripped out head with a tap of a hammer while turning the screwdriver. It will come out!

I have the gun up for sale here but when I figured it was defective i tried to cancel the sale (still not sure how to do that). in any case, i wanted $50 plus shipping. I do like the gun. Its a GAMO Wildcat Whisper springer with a gas driven cylinder, not a spring. It's very powerful and was very accurate until the mounts started slipping. if you know anyone who might want it, great. I probably won't do the lapping stuff as I'm 79y/o, have arthritis in my hands and would probably slop that stuff everywhere. But thanks anyway.

Just to make sure, have you got the recoil stop screw in the scope mount fastened down in it's retaining hole on the receiver? Not to be disrespectful at all, but the torx screws on the rings and on the scope mount which attaches it to the dovetail rail have to be pretty tight indeed old mate. This is about impossible to achieve if one is using the supplied torx key in the box from Gamo because they deform and strip really easily with pressure. Get someone or go somewhere that has a decent T-15 torx driver perhaps on a T-bar or small 1/4'' ratchet and have them nip it up for you spacing the mounts from end to end about 100mm or 3.9". If you still have a problem which I dare say you should not. Get a one piece scope mount with 4 retaining screws for fastening it to the rail. These can be had for as little as $10 on ebay or Amazon and work a treat. I have never seen a dodgy scope rail before and I doubt that is the problem. Do not give up ol'sport, stay at it and keep air gunning. It is a good sport and fun pass time and define-ate stimulation for all ages. I happy to help and guide you in every step of the way okay.

I figured out the problem. Firstly, I'm using a leapers mount that does have a recoil pin. GAMOs mount are not good, as Crosmans are also not good. That being the case, what was the problem? Took a good look at the dovetail section of the barrel. As the recoil slammed the recoil pins against the hole, the rim of the hole was driven back into an elevated lip. i didn't realize that lip was lifting the mounts slightly, but enough to weaken the mount's hold on the dovetail. I filed it down, cleaned everything with denatured alcohol, used Blue Loctite on all the screws and let them sit for over 24 hours. Shot about 60 rounds today and all is back to normal. I still think the Whisper has a helluva recoil and will probably put it to rest in the attic and get another gun. Thanks to all of you. I'll still keep it WTS here if anyone is interested. i'll reduce the price to $40. Take care.