GAMO Coyote Whisper vs. Benjamin Marauder: help with selecting my first PCP

"Saltlake58"OK, so I'm back again. Looked in the forum classifieds
http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/benjamin-marauder-gen-ii-177-wood-stock-lothar-walther-barrel/

​If I were in the market for a .177, I'd buy this one in a heartbeat. $550, plus some carrying charges and it's tuned within an inch of its life.

​And if that wasn't enough, here's a Coyote for $600. Both seem to be excellent deals
http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-gamo-coyote-whisper-0-22-pcp-air-rifle-w-utg-scope-3-mags/

Take a look.
Wow! That Marauder sounds like loads-o-extras for this rifle... but I was looking for .22 -- but maybe for this deal I should re-think sticking with .17
The Coyote - sounds like a good deal. I don't know enough about that scope -- but I see the Coyote + scope combo, new, on AirGunDepot for $590. so it this scope (plus mags) worth that much more?
I'm probably more intrigued by the Marauder deal. I may just have to get over my emotional attachment to the .22 caliber idea in my head for pest control.

IF wanting the coyote shop around, $437.00 is the best price I could find right now ( from an in stock dealer, noted several pre-order dealers but...).

I used scuba fir a long while and hand pumpiong really isn't bad at all, scba is nice and or a booster or pump.

The Gamo/bsa rig is a 3,356psi fill and the marauder a 3,000psi - BIG difference esp. if using scuba , and look for steel tanks rated at 3,400psi.

Have you looked at the member map? Most folks starting out are well advised to get with some other airgiun folks & learn hands on.

Personally "I" would pick the marauder, so easy to work on, parts are cheap & plentiful - had a BSA that could not be repaired by anyone once, ugh.

And you are pretty close in price range to getting a used Air Arms or such and they are good, the older the better but they are good.

That .177 in the ads here would likely do what you want, if that rig is built right ( pretty sure it is ) it would blow away any "1,000fps" rig. At 50 yards head shots on ground hog's should be a 100% success rate, with shot placement and any real lead pellet will have more down range power than any of the Gamo ish "pellets".

John

"ArmyBiker" Hahahaa. You guys are certainly filling my head up with all kinds o info I hadn't even begun to ponder. Can't thank you enough. NOW you've got me thining about Carbon Fiber. Would you have a recommended place to buy that? My local SCUBA shop won't have those... I don't suspect.

New carbon fiber tanks can be purchased at Pyramyd Air or Airgun Depot, or a number of other reputable dealers. New carries a 5 year certification, and after that, it's around $40 to have a hydro test at any paintball shop. I paid $300, and it included the fill yoke.

Wow! finally someone that own's both guns. Element - A couple questions -

1. which is more comfortable? Both are around 43 inches, but the Coyote seems lighter. Which is easier to shoot?
2. Which is quieter, in your opinion?
3. how much more accurate do you think the Coyote is than the Marauder at say, 25 yards, 50 yards and beyond?
4. if you had to choose only one, which and why?

Many thanks in advance

The Gamo seems heavier prbly cause of the wood stock my maurader is synthetic, I think the Gamo is quiter it has a different sound more of a puff, where the mrod has the ping, accuracy wise I think the Gamo wins! My mrod shoots just as well tho in the right pressure range from 2100 down to 1800 psi. But both are stock i just like the Coyote best, there's lots of wind here in Nebraska so not much shooting past 25 yards with .177! One more thing is the trigger Gamo is plastic mrod is metal which I like better! Good luck on your choice lots of support for the mrod!!! Vs Gamo!!!

"ArmyBiker"
http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/benjamin-marauder-gen-ii-177-wood-stock-lothar-walther-barrel/

​If I were in the market for a .177, I'd buy this one in a heartbeat. $550, plus some carrying charges and it's tuned within an inch of its life.

​And if that wasn't enough, here's a Coyote for $600. Both seem to be excellent deals
http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-gamo-coyote-whisper-0-22-pcp-air-rifle-w-utg-scope-3-mags/

Take a look.
Wow! That Marauder sounds like loads-o-extras for this rifle... but I was looking for .22 -- but maybe for this deal I should re-think sticking with .17
The Coyote - sounds like a good deal. I don't know enough about that scope -- but I see the Coyote + scope combo, new, on AirGunDepot for $590. so it this scope (plus mags) worth that much more?
I'm probably more intrigued by the Marauder deal. I may just have to get over my emotional attachment to the .22 caliber idea in my head for pest control.

Well the used one has $100 extra in magazines and a better scope. The Mantis is a cheaper scope, selling for $90 on AGD. AGD doesn't show the UTG 3-12X44 COMPACT scope but it sell for $120. I think it would hold up a lot better over time. Anyhoo, there's $130 more value. Btw, key words in the used listing are "asking" and "best offer".
Are you confused enough yet??? LOL
Ed

"Willie14228"Fill the tank with regular air from the dive shop.
I use a guppy tank at 4500 psi and the Marauder style of sipping the air a fill up lasts a long time 
Better yet the tank is backpack friendly.
I'll check with a couple of local dive shops tomorrow & see if they'll fill up a fiberglass tank. Don't know why they wouldn't. I'll also check around at local paintball shops. Is that guppy the 17 cu. ft. version?

"spysir"IF wanting the coyote shop around, $437.00 is the best price I could find right now ( from an in stock dealer, noted several pre-order dealers but...).

I used scuba fir a long while and hand pumpiong really isn't bad at all, scba is nice and or a booster or pump.

The Gamo/bsa rig is a 3,356psi fill and the marauder a 3,000psi - BIG difference esp. if using scuba , and look for steel tanks rated at 3,400psi.

Have you looked at the member map? Most folks starting out are well advised to get with some other airgiun folks & learn hands on.

Personally "I" would pick the marauder, so easy to work on, parts are cheap & plentiful - had a BSA that could not be repaired by anyone once, ugh.

And you are pretty close in price range to getting a used Air Arms or such and they are good, the older the better but they are good.

That .177 in the ads here would likely do what you want, if that rig is built right ( pretty sure it is ) it would blow away any "1,000fps" rig. At 50 yards head shots on ground hog's should be a 100% success rate, with shot placement and any real lead pellet will have more down range power than any of the Gamo ish "pellets".

John

Great comments SpySir - I appreciate you taking the time.
Wowser -- you're right about the PSI rating. Most SCUBA tanks I've been looking at cap out at 3000 PSI. Maybe I would be better off with Carbon Fiber for future flexibility (presuming I ever trade out the gun I purchase). The Carbon Fiber HPA tanks vary in size - but are generally smaller than the 80CF SCUBA. And a bunch of 'em are pea-size tanks I presume go directly onto paintball guns? Any recommended size or place of purchase?

That highly tuned Marauder .17 looks like it's already sold. If it would've been in .22 (which I've got stuck in my head)... I probably would not have hesitated. Having said that - what's the track record with purchasing stuff through this forum? Safe? (As in -- you pay the cash via PayPal, and the likelihood is extremely high that the gun will arrive a week later?) Also, I had someone PM me with their gun for sale. Same question. Is this community generally a safe place for buy / trade / sell?

Take a look.
​That highly tuned Marauder .17 looks like it's already sold. If it would've been in .22 (which I've got stuck in my head)... I probably would not have hesitated. Having said that - what's the track record with purchasing stuff through this forum? Safe? (As in -- you pay the cash via PayPal, and the likelihood is extremely high that the gun will arrive a week later?) Also, I had someone PM me with their gun for sale. Same question. Is this community generally a safe place for buy / trade / sell?

"Saltlake58"
"ArmyBiker" Hahahaa. You guys are certainly filling my head up with all kinds o info I hadn't even begun to ponder. Can't thank you enough. NOW you've got me thining about Carbon Fiber. Would you have a recommended place to buy that? My local SCUBA shop won't have those... I don't suspect.

New carbon fiber tanks can be purchased at Pyramyd Air or Airgun Depot, or a number of other reputable dealers. New carries a 5 year certification, and after that, it's around $40 to have a hydro test at any paintball shop. I paid $300, and it included the fill yoke.
Groovy - thanks for that intel!

"Saltlake58"Wow! finally someone that own's both guns. Element - A couple questions -

1. which is more comfortable? Both are around 43 inches, but the Coyote seems lighter. Which is easier to shoot?
2. Which is quieter, in your opinion?
3. how much more accurate do you think the Coyote is than the Marauder at say, 25 yards, 50 yards and beyond?
4. if you had to choose only one, which and why?

Many thanks in advance
Ha!! THANKS for asking all those salient questions for me Saltlake!

"Element"The Gamo seems heavier prbly cause of the wood stock my maurader is synthetic, I think the Gamo is quiter it has a different sound more of a puff, where the mrod has the ping, accuracy wise I think the Gamo wins! My mrod shoots just as well tho in the right pressure range from 2100 down to 1800 psi. But both are stock i just like the Coyote best, there's lots of wind here in Nebraska so not much shooting past 25 yards with .177! One more thing is the trigger Gamo is plastic mrod is metal which I like better! Good luck on your choice lots of support for the mrod!!! Vs Gamo!!!
THANKS so much for taking the time to outline your comparative analysis. Ya had me until we got to the plastic trigger. I think that would drive me bananas. You know, they say the Gen2 MROD supposedly was changed over Gen1 to have more of a "thud" than a "ping"... unless I'm confusing that with a different review I read. Is your MROD Gen2?