• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gamo CAT Adjustable Trigger Mod

During a previous post, I made note of a very simple trigger mod for the newer Gamo CAT triggers. After that post, I had a couple of people PM me with questions regarding this modification, so I thought I'd add it to this forum to help me explain, and - hopefully - help out a few Gamo owners.

My first ever air rifle purchase was a Gamo Hornet Maxxim with the CAT 2-stage adjustable trigger and IGT piston. Aside from the garbage scope that came with the rifle, I really enjoyed the gun. I still shoot the gun a lot today as a matter of fact. Don't let the price fool you - with the right pellets it can shoot fantastic groups.

Anyways... after a few weeks of shooting, I decided to tinker with the trigger. It was a bit heavy IMO, and I wanted something lighter.

If you read through the instructions, it provides information on softening the trigger, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference. The problem was - the screw is too short to get the trigger pull light and crisp.

Here is the location of the screw you tighten or loosen in order to change the trigger tension during stage 2 of the trigger pull.

1533336187_20188290615b64da7b8a2289.96644652_IMG_1429_LI.jpg

The stock trigger tension screw is a 2.5mm x 6mm. I took this screw completely out and replaced it with an 8mm. I could feel the difference, but I still was not happy with the trigger tension required to fire the rifle. So I went even longer... I replace the 8mm with a 10mm, and I hit perfection.

The screws I used were purchased off Amazon. Here is a pic.

1533336406_1314752255b64db56325575.16428926_IMG_1431_LI.jpg

A few VERY IMPORTANT items of note for anyone who wants to try this.

DO NOT tighten the 10mm screw all the way down. Doing so will result in a rifle that fires immediately after cocking. The trigger latch will not grab the piston rod well enough to retain tension.

My suggestion is to tighten the screw down about 3/4 of the way. Test fire the rifle, and make 1/4 turns inward until you reach the desired pull.

Once you hit a point where the trigger tension is ideal, for you, use a fine tip black sharpie and mark the head of the screw. This will allow you to see if the screw is working itself loose due to the vibration of the firing sequence.

As you can see is this picture, the screw is not fully engaged with several treads still exposed. You will also see the line I put on the head.

1533336796_10142323565b64dcdcea2793.18384143_IMG_1432.JPG

That's all there is to it.

Hopefully this helps...

Joe

I posted this on another Gamo trigger mod thread. Wanted to share here as well. I recently purchased a new Gamo Swarm Fusion 10x Gen. 2 in .177 caliber. At the local Ace hardware, they had an assortment of mini machine screws. This rifle has a 2.5mm diameter screw. So I was happy to find one locally. It is 12mm long and that works just fine. I used Loctite 242 on threads to help hold it where it needs to stay. For .37 cents, was well worth doing and thanks for letting us know about this. Before changing it out, the rifle still had way too much creep before firing, even with both factory screws turned all the way in (clockwise). Be careful, and test it to be sure the trigger still holds, and rifle does not fire unexpectedly. I have not had rifle apart yet, but I am suspecting that by using a longer screw here, you are decreasing the amount of sear engagement.

If you decide to do this, PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

If you’re putting the screw in while the gun is assembled, at some point it will likely go off in your hand as you find the right adjustment. For how this mod works, I’m still disappointed at the length of the pull and the feel. A GRT trigger is certainly more transformative witch a completely different feel. The screw method can be done with plastic or metal trigger guns.

id also suggest polishing the trigger sears and using a moly lube. I can certainly tell the difference between a before and after when I polish sear contact points in my gamos. 

If you’re putting the screw in while the gun is assembled, at some point it will likely go off in your hand as you find the right adjustment. For how this mod works, I’m still disappointed at the length of the pull and the feel. A GRT trigger is certainly more transformative witch a completely different feel. The screw method can be done with plastic or metal trigger guns.

id also suggest polishing the trigger sears and using a moly lube. I can certainly tell the difference between a before and after when I polish sear contact points in my gamos.
Hey 270windude,

Can you post any links to videos on how to polish the Gamo CAT trigger sear?

I've removed the trigger assembly before, but didn't disassemble it. I've polished sears on rimfire rifles, so I get the concept. I just need a guide to take the trigger assembly apart and then put it back together.

Interesting... The screws in my Gamo were 2.5mm according to my metric digital caliper.

Thanks for the feedback!
Ive found that funny on this screw size . Guys day 2m then guys say 2.5m . Could be older or newer guns on that cause like my gamo is older model bit the same newer model has some changes like the rear sight is "better" then the one on mine.. also being gamo tried to make somthing you cant rasy work on they may of chamged the screw size to curb folks using that mod ( i dont put that past them)...gamo..lol

I guess just get one of each if not sure on your gamo.

But the 10mm long is the one.