• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

GAMO Air Rifles

Hello Everyone, This is my first post, glad to have found this site. I'm looking for pros/cons on GAMO air rifles. Mainly the Big Cat series. Any info would be great. And what would you consider to be a decent middle grade air rifle for under $200.00. Also, the guns would only be used for punching holes in paper and tin cans. Thanks everyone.

I have been running airgun matches for over twenty years and I can tell you that nobody shoots Gamo airguns in competition at anything I have run except for one exception. When Daisy was selling the model 126 several of us used them in airgun silhouette. They were not very powerful but they were a decent starter target rifle made by Gamo with good accuracy.
Buy the best rifle you can afford, period.

Buy used from a well know airgunner and you might get a good one? Gamo can be , okay, they will NOT sell you any parts should you need then, do NOT get caught by their hype "1,200fps" ... .... .... Triggers are so so at best. They can be a good starter rifle but you will most likely want something just a bit better. A re-furb/sale/used RWS34 would be one to watch for.,

That said the OLD gamo's were good rifles - trigger not included- buy one if you can find it. If you must have a Gamo DO shoot it a bunch as soon as you get it so it can be returned if needed.

And, a Gamo just might (???) be all you need depending on your "paper" requirments, they will certainly whoop a tin can .

John

Welcome to the forum! As Rich said, you probably won't find many experienced air gunners with Gamos. GAMO was my first air rifle and even not knowing anything I was not very happy with it. It did however reintroduce me to the sport and I've since tried many very nice guns. You'd be doing yourself a huge favor to spend just a tad more and step up to an RWS 34. They are not as "sexy" as a Gamo, but I'd look past that quickly since how good the gun looks means nothing if you hate it after trying to shoot it accurately. I'm sure if you do a google search you'll find tons of rave reviews about the RWS 34 from experienced air gunners. This one in the link even comes with a scope. I didn't really look at what the scope is but I'd want to make sure it is "springer rated" before buying. If not I'd just purchase the gun only and get a springer rated scope separately. Best of luck with whatever you choose and have fun, the searching part can be very fun!

Regards,
Cliff

http://smile.amazon.com/RWS-Pellet-Model-Combo-Rifle/dp/B000UPFH4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457733761&sr=8-1&keywords=rws+34

I have a Gamo Hunter which was tuned by "Rich in MI". It's a fun gun and shoots pretty well. A buddy owned a couple older Gamos which were very nice.

As far as new Gamos go; I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder. The crappy ammo, and outrageous marketing IMO is a disservice to the sport. I believe folks buy Gamos, then get frustrated because of poor accuracy and give up on the sport.