• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gamo Gamo action

It’s funny how the same model likes different pellets. I went out yesterday, and was getting good groups at 50 yards. I was actually able to hit small metal plates about every other shot at 100 yards.
It sure is! I've got some 16.08 grain Dead Centers and Baracuda 18s coming in tomorrow. I hope they group better than the 22.07 grain Dead Centers, however, for under $7.00 for a tin of 500 at Wally World, I'm not going to be upset if my gun ends up preferring the Crosmans out of them all!

Interested in what others are "getting" in terms of velocity out of their HXP's .22cal. Mine is clocking 877fps with JSB 15.89gr pellets. That's about 27ft lbs energy. I'm OK with that number, plenty of power for backyard hunting/pest elimination duties. However, I couldn't help noting the HXP example that JC (Airgun Detectives) shot in his video was putting out closer to 30ft lbs. Anyone else here run that pellet (the JSB 15.89) through their HXP over the chrono? Just curious.

Interested in what others are "getting" in terms of velocity out of their HXP's .22cal. Mine is clocking 877fps with JSB 15.89gr pellets. That's about 27ft lbs energy. I'm OK with that number, plenty of power for backyard hunting/pest elimination duties. However, I couldn't help noting the HXP example that JC (Airgun Detectives) shot in his video was putting out closer to 30ft lbs. Anyone else here run that pellet (the JSB 15.89) through their HXP over the chrono? Just curious.

I was trying to figure out what HXP was for a minute... Hunter Extreme Pro 😅

Does this rifle share the same powerplant as the Magnum? If so mine's doing about 26-27ftlbs, depending on pellet used. Or at least that's what I recall, Lol. The "standard" Gamo rifles make about 16ftlbs in .22 if they're healthy and a bit more after some tlc. At some point I'll try to post some actual results and target photos, as long as the weather is cooperative.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Could be anything.. air, heat , humidity, elevation, pellet run, seal fit , has ram pressure , ect , ect...

Then you could find your gun excelles better with a different pellet his don't ..

What I thought amazing is Gamo already discounted the hxp .. like why ??.. maybe cause it had wood ? Lol

I was trying to figure out what HXP was for a minute... Hunter Extreme Pro 😅

Does this rifle share the same powerplant as the Magnum? If so mine's doing about 26-27ftlbs, depending on pellet used. Or at least that's what I recall, Lol. The "standard" Gamo rifles make about 16ftlbs in .22 if they're healthy and a bit more after some tlc. At some point I'll try to post some actual results and target photos, as long as the weather is cooperative.
Not sure what powerplant the Magnum is using, but the HXP uses the largest IGT (Inert Gas Technology, I believe) gas ram Gamo stuffs in their guns, and has an "oversize" 33mm piston. It IS a powerful beast for a break-barrel, and probably the best comparable rifle would be the Hatsan 135. I'm pretty happy with my HXP shooting at 877 fps with the JSB 15.89 gr, but it's down a tad on velocity/power compared to what JC (Airgun Detectives) achieved with his particular HXP test rifle.

Im getting 907fps avg w/ CPHP 14.3g pellets. Ive got nearly 1000 shots thru the gun now. Im sure velocity will go up with warmer temps. My numbers were measured on 40*-50* days.
HPP--- J have some of those Crosman pellets as well, and 907fps seems pretty decent. I will have to run them over the chrono to see how the numbers compare with your HXP. So far I have only checked the JSB 15.89's and the H&N Hornets. As an aside, did you ever install that CDT trigger? And do you have an idea as to how that trigger is an improvement, or perhaps it is safer, than the "longer screw" fix to the CAT trigger? No one seems to know how the CDT trigger actually WORKS to lighten/crisp up the trigger pull SAFELY, as opposed to just installing the quick-fix longer screw. Just curious whether the CDT trigger is really worth it or not. My existing trigger breaks really nicely now after installation of the longer screw and what I term a "conservative" adjustment.

Im getting 907fps avg w/ CPHP 14.3g pellets. Ive got nearly 1000 shots thru the gun now. Im sure velocity will go up with warmer temps. My numbers were measured on 40*-50* days.
From what results I have gathered in the temperature game is this. For every degree of change, multiple 1.26 FPS to your number and that should put the number close to what you would achieve at that temperature. Example 907 FPS at 50 degrees, what would it be at 70 degrees given all the variables stay the same. 20 x 1.26= 25.6 now take 907+25.2 = 932.2 So at 70 degrees you should see about 932.2 FPS? Just remember everyone this is a good guess and for me it's usually been a few FPS higher? What would it be at 30 degrees?
907-25.2=881.8 FPS Hopefully I explained my madness correctly?
Sorry , this is for springers- gas rams only

I have some H&N Field Target Trophy Green, .22 Cal, 9.56 Grains, Domed, Lead Free pellets coming; we will see how fast these go! I bought them for my .22 pistols, but I will blast a few with the Gamo to see if It will hit 1300fps...

CBkidd- I am still ok with the longer screw in the stock trigger; Im seeing 1.5lbs trigger pull & dont want to change it until I find an aftermarket gas ram available. Also waiting for Vortek to make the Bionic piston/seal combo as promised...

Richfromohio Im sure the gas ram will put out more power w/higher temps...Even my truck gas struts dont get strong enough to hold the hood up until temps get to 70*!​

I doubt I will see 30fpe like the Florida Detective Guy, but +15fps for altitude difference + ???fps for temperature difference,,, who knows...
For now Im seeing 25+fpe and great accuracy so I cant complain.

Last edited:
I live near Youngstown Ohio and I am 1000 feet above sea level. With the Gamo Magnum and Gamo Swarm Magnum in 22 caliber with the 14.3 Walmart Crosman 's at 70 plus degrees I usually see 930 FPS to 950 FPS right out of the box. This is after at least 100 pellets so we don't have any dieseling. I believe that these Gamo's are hard to beat for the price . They have really stepped up their expectations, and yes all have been accurate. This is the problem I have had with higher dollar pellets. They are well made but the alloy of lead is on the soft side. Which causes them to skip throught the rifling. Crosman pellets are made of a hard alloy lead that keeps them from skipping through the rifling . What I have to do with the Crosman pellets is check there size. This means the head and tail. I have normally found them to be 0.211 inches to 0.219 inches. All of my airguns shoot the 0.217 inches to 0.219 Inches accurate. I am talking PCP'S and Springers. The smaller sizes I keep for killing those pesky cans full of water.(lol)

Only have two Gamo pellet guns. A Expo 2100 and a PR776

Screenshot_20240324_200954_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

From what results I have gathered in the temperature game is this. For every degree of change, multiple 1.26 FPS to your number and that should put the number close to what you would achieve at that temperature. Example 907 FPS at 50 degrees, what would it be at 70 degrees given all the variables stay the same. 20 x 1.26= 25.6 now take 907+25.2 = 932.2 So at 70 degrees you should see about 932.2 FPS? Just remember everyone this is a good guess and for me it's usually been a few FPS higher? What would it be at 30 degrees?
907-25.2=881.8 FPS Hopefully I explained my madness correctly?
Sorry , this is for springers- gas rams only
My Gamo is temp sensitive with fps . Most of any gun . I got a real old temp testing post on one around somewhere

My Gamo is temp sensitive with fps . Most of any gun . I got a real old temp testing post on one around somewhere
Found it;

1.28fps difference for every degree increase/decrease. Consistent results w/various pellets. This was with a gas-ram in .177. I would believe bigger caliber, bigger gas-ram would be influenced more by temperature.

Found it;

1.28fps difference for every degree increase/decrease. Consistent results w/various pellets. This was with a gas-ram in .177. I would believe bigger caliber, bigger gas-ram would be influenced more by temperature.

This makes sense, as the pellet velocity produced by the ram would vary according to the ambient temp/pressure conditions, especially if the rifle has had an adequate "soak" time at ambient conditions. Simple physics involved here. Would have been nice if HAM would have tested the same basic rifle in .22 cal alongside the .177 rifle, as half the work was already done:):cool:

Reactions: HPP-Mechanic
I shot some Gamo Raptor 9.8g today. After 20 shots, I got 3 to register on the chrony. 3 shot avg=1106fps for26.63fps. I bought these pellets for my .22 P17, but they fit so tightly that it was blowing the breech seal out instead of the pellet down the barrel.

The H & N Field Target Trophy Green 9.57g would not register on my chrony, and I took 20 shots. I had to stop since the Gamo was sounding like a .22 powder burner. These pellets are way too light for this type gun and I couldn't hit a target @ 30yds. Now these pellets shot fine out of the P17, and thats what I got them for, and a killer deal @ P.A.

It was 45* here today- maybe on a warm day the looser-fitting H&N's may go 1300+fps...