Gamo .22 Match Wadcutters Surprising results

22 wadcutters of any brand are hard to find around here. With the weather being as nice as it is here today, there was a chance to test the pellets that I'd received from Damon (genXer). Having tried various .177 Gamo pellets in the past in a number of guns with consistently poor results, trepidation was the word.

But...

They did quite well in the QB78. Even with the NC-Star 2-6 ($5 swap-meet) scope set at 4x. The rifle has been dialed back in power so that it averages 480-fps over the course of the co2 charge. It seems to shoot more accurately at lower speeds and the cartridges last longer. These shots are all from the bipod and bench at ten yards. This was with a 10-mph gusty breeze.

P2260656.JPG

P2260657.JPG

Cheers,

J~

Last edited:
I was about to post a ? about wadcutters. I've never had any wadcutter group well. I've tried H&N Sport, JSB Excite, and RWS MEISTERKUGELN, All are 22cal and I've tried them in 4 different rifles. A B-25, B-46, Beeman R9, And a HW97K. I just wonder how they can compete with them.

I feel you, HeyU. These don't do nearly as well as I'd like them to. They'd be great for swatting flys.

A friend has a SAG QB78 in .177 that likes pretty much all wadcutters (even Crosman Destroyers!) and doesn't shoot round-nose or pointed pellets nearly as well. It was tested during tuning and the results were really surprising. I think that .177 is a more intrinsically accurate calliber than .22.

I just got in from some more testing. Here are the results at 12 yards from the bench with a bipod. It liked the pointed pellets more.

P3070671.JPG

Cheers,

J~

Last edited:
Reactions: HeyU