• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gammo viper

Someone gave me a viper 177 cal. I gave it to my grandsons. They shot the free pack of pellets already. What's the best pellets or weight of pellet, they need for target practice? I even gave them my lead sled as I don't use it anymore.

image.jpg

I would just grab a few tins of crosman hollow points and turn the kids loose with it. The lead sled won’t be much help for accuracy with these guns, they vibrate too much before the pellets come out and with different harmonics every time. Better off just sighting it in shooting off-hand.

I am not gonna recommend pellet testing or using the artillery hold or any of that. The boy just needs to shoot and have fun. What the boy needs to know is the best hold is a dead soft hold, and he needs to be consistent with his hold, hand placement etc. Unlike a high powered rifle, these guns need to be held soft.

So learn a good comfortable consistent hold he can use in the field, sight in like that, and be ready to replace the scope when it breaks. It will.

Come back when the scope issues arise or start a new thread now about cheap scope selection for a spring gun. The dudes will overload you with recommendations and “for a little more $$” recommendations.

Weed through it and find a recommendation inside the budget and roll with it. Cant go wrong with hawke or leapers on a springer

I hate shooting this gun myself. It bounces all over and the scope although you can see through it, it's already broke. The focus is stuck in one position. The younger GS is 10 and he can't hardly cock it safely, it takes some effort.

I can't get them a pcp rifle they don't have any air, I'm not getting them a compressor to bring home too. Maybe when I get a new compressor then give them the older one and get a pcp for them.

Well the package scopes are pretty sad to start. The gamo new is hard to cock but it well settlen in and become easier to cock.. gamo break in time can be a little longer then most. Mine was pretty tough at first and like that first week my cocking arm was sore..lol now its nothing but a thing ..

Only sad or bad thing on that model you got is has no factory "iron" sights . So your pretty stranded on finding a scope that will hold up on it ( thats pretty much any springer ). Anyway if it had iron sights you could be shooting it without a scope. Lot of brands ( aint just gamo) stopped putting sights on there guns . Dont get the thinking behind that bright idea. Money savings?

Be like buying a car with no steering wheel..

Reactions: Mcrafty1
That's good advice I've received thanks. This package is supposed to be 15 years old according to the guy who gave it to me. I don't think he shot 10 pellets through it cause the tin was completely full. And it gets easier to cock? that's great news.
Ya, alot easier at least mine did . At first it was a bengay all the way on my cocking arm..lol. Sometimes id joke i had to use a superman 2 hand grab.. it's a gamo whisper fusion mach1 .22 .
Check my gamo threads . You'll see it does good enugh.

Ya it was tough at first..

It would also be a great gun for teaching instinctive shooting to the boy. Ditch the scope, forget about the soft hold, and accept the fact it wont be accurate past 10 yards without a soft hold.

Read “shotgunning: the art and the science” and pass that knowledge down.

If he can toss a ping pong ball up and smoke it with a single .177 pellet then he will be hell on doves with a 20 gauge

Dont shoot golf balls, they shoot back

I hate shooting this gun myself. It bounces all over and the scope although you can see through it, it's already broke. The focus is stuck in one position. The younger GS is 10 and he can't hardly cock it safely, it takes some effort.

I can't get them a pcp rifle they don't have any air, I'm not getting them a compressor to bring home too. Maybe when I get a new compressor then give them the older one and get a pcp for them.

Here is a good springer rated scope. Buy some Crosman domed pellets while you are there. Help the GS mount the scope. Zero the scope and give him some soup cans to shoot. Pro Tip - use both arms to cock the rifle at the very end of the barrel.