• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Game recovery using infrared spotter?

Does anyone have any experience using infrared to recover game?
I found this : https://shop.opticsplanet.com/aimsh...ode=AS-H1-HEATSEEKER3510-HS3510B&gclsrc=aw.ds
I mostly want to use it to find deer after dark and find the squirrels I've shot faster (sometimes that last light shot has me looking and looking for my downed squirrel).
I'm not looking for a scope to hunt with(yet lol), I just want to be able to scan for a heat signature.

Yes, I do it many times! I use this AGM Taipan TM10-256. This is a little more expensive than the unit you have shown, but I feel this is much better in actual use as you can truly see the objects, not just its temperature. Here is a link to a slightly cheaper version. These units also record photos and videos.

20221028_180551.jpg

Here, I used it to find a squirrel that I shot, but I was trying to find the other squirrel that I heard barking at me, and I moved a few times trying to get the new squirrel, I forgot where my other squirrel went down!

20221028174454.JPG

You can see that this also easily picks up the blood trail, so I'm certain it could be a big help locating a blood trail for a deer. I hope I get the time to go bow hunting this season so I can put this to the test for myself.

Here is the video that I took just before I found the squirrel with this device. You can clearly see the squirrel down at the base of the tree. This was about 55 yards from where I was standing.

Last edited:
@N2 Shooter - Thanks! That is exactly the info I needed and exactly what I'm trying to do!
I didn't really want to spend that much without knowing it would work how I want to use it.
That's not so bad a price for the AGM compared to what I was looking at.
I knew this was what you needed to see, because boy oh boy, I've lost a lot of squirrels as the canopy drops to blackness much quicker than I could imagine! The thermal monocle I have cost $549. You have to determine if the slight bump in resolution is worth the price.

Reactions: AmosBurton
Does anyone have any experience using infrared to recover game?
I found this : https://shop.opticsplanet.com/aimsh...ode=AS-H1-HEATSEEKER3510-HS3510B&gclsrc=aw.ds
I mostly want to use it to find deer after dark and find the squirrels I've shot faster (sometimes that last light shot has me looking and looking for my downed squirrel).
I'm not looking for a scope to hunt with(yet lol), I just want to be able to scan for a heat signature.
It's been around for about 14 years. There probably is a reason you may have never heard of this unit. Aimshot isn't know for their stellar products. A quality thermal monocular is what you want to be able to do what you want. Don't waste your time and money buying something that you hope will work, cry once and buy something good the first time, that will perform and last.