• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Game flinch

Pellets make quite a bit of noise when they are inbound.

I hid behind a big tree by some targets one day. My buddy was shooting my .25 marauder maybe 100 yards or so. Anyways I was curious, wanted to see if I could here my Marauder from that far, like what would the prey hear kinda deal. Well I could not here my pellet gun at all, but you could hear the pellets coming from across the field. They where humming pretty dang good. 

I’m not going to say the game animals and birds door don’t move intentionally before the pellet arrives. But I’ve seen a scientific analysis that showed with a pellet at 900 FPS, and traveling 100 yards, the animals nervous system doesn’t physically have the time to react. We’re talking sound here of course. If I can find it again I’ll post the link. Since the pellet is at 80% the speed of sound, the sound only gets there a very short time before the pellet. That time difference is smaller than the reaction time of the game animals and birds. 

Yeah, Pesk; I've watched that video. This is the kind of dynamic I talking about. Although I tend to think it's more the animal hearing the gun report than seeing the pellet. It'll be interesting to get my SUMO out in the field and test this theory. At any rate, I'll have a much quieter gun and she sure looks sexy!

Maybe you should try it with the Sumo but shoot from within an enclosed blind or inside a room far from the window or door to get the maximum effect and silence so the room's acoustics deaden the sound.