• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Game farms...Why I get heart burn with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I am dropping a hand grenade here, but this article in Hard Air Magazine about a so called “world record” flared me up.

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/pending-world-record-aoudad-taken-with-umarex-hammer-in-south-texas/

Also, for full disclosure I am more of a small game hunter, not big game which may change one day, but for now it is who I am.

Okay I grew up in the mountains of Idaho around limitless public land in a state where “fair chase” when hunting is taking seriously, and pretty much the law. So when I see the hunting on game farms, particular exotic species, to me it is kind of a joke because the animal can only go so far before it hits a fence aka cornered. So I will never call this fair chance, thus I consider the effort not much of effort compared to the same pursuit in the real wilds.

What I mean from above for example. I know someone who spent close to a week and countless miles WALKING, stalking a Rocky Mountain sheep ram in the Frank Church Wilderness area in Central Idaho. For those who don’t know, when a area is classified as wilderness in the United States no motorized or wheeled vehicle can be used, yes even a bicycle, so you are walking or on horseback. Central Idaho is as hilly and rugged as it comes, no cellphone service, no creature comforts, no etc, so no hunting lodge to go back to after a day in the mountains. In this region your hunting lodge is your tent and the ground it sits on. People who can handle and thrive in these conditions are true top tier hunters, who can’t, aren’t! Hunters who thrive in these conditions and succeed are the best of the best.

So when I see this praising article with this smiling person and world record hunting on a game farm in South Texas, I roll my eyes. I can’t consider an animal hunted on a game farm, regardless, as fair chance which should be considered a world record. Sorry with the way they hunt in Texas and all that is legal I kind of consider it a video game aka a joke.

If someone wants to shoot panned-up animals so be it. It's not hunting, it's a for large profit business(period). What I wish is that it was a 30-06 lying on the animal instead of an air rifle. These big bore air guns and taking animals like this with them is one more thing that will eventually make the air guns fall into the same category as powder burners. And, don't even think the .177 Benjamin pump-up and Daisey Red Rider won't be included when this happens.

If someone wants to shoot panned-up animals so be it. It's not hunting, it's a for large profit business(period). What I wish is that it was a 30-06 lying on the animal instead of an air rifle. These big bore air guns and taking animals like this with them is one more thing that will eventually make the air guns fall into the same category as powder burners. And, don't even think the .177 Benjamin pump-up and Daisey Red Rider won't be included when this happens.

Yep.

Also, why are we so determined to try to make airguns do what firearms do? They are different tools and perform different functions. It's like scissors designed to cut paper and an axe designed to chop down a tree - except we're trying to make bigger scissors that can be used to cut down the tree. Why?! The axe still performs the function better!

The game farms are for people who want to harvest a trophy without hunting the animal. They should not count as world records. The animals know what time they get fed and the outfitters/exotic animal farmers know what time the animals will come by the stand. I don’t even like watching some African big game hunts. They usually walk up to the animal within 50 yards and someone hands them a rifle and they pick which one they want to take out of the herd. The difference is the animals can always run away but they never do. Most high fence animals are old, fat, and out of shape and of course they have nowhere to run even if they could.

http://www.tsusinvasives.org/home/database/ammotragus-lervia

I didn’t know you could hold the world record on an invasive species. Seems kind of silly.

they don’t give me heartburn as long as they’re in context. When you see a deer with 39 points, you know somethings up...

it’s definitely not worth getting riled up about because there’s nothing we can do about it. It’s kind of like fishing in a big bucket.

on the other hand going to the game farm and shooting some pheasants can be fun. It’s nothing like the real thing. Collecting your limit on wild birds is a Totally different proposition.

certainly calling a game farm animal world record is not in context. Especially if it’s an invasive species.

I think they’re humoring her because she’s kind of good looking.

mike

I'd agree on some of the game farms it could be just killing and not hunting. Not sure I'd agree with a Texas ranch and especially Aoudad. Most hunters know whitetail deer will grow up and live in about a mile square area for their entire lives. Should you need to transplant them, most won't survive.

I'd like to know the size of the ranch. A lot of the ranches are huge, as in square miles. Never hunted Aoudad, but if it's ranging on over a mile of habitat it's probably not going to be much different than a whitetail hunt in my estimation other than the need of being fit. Of the stories I've read on Aoudad you need to be in shape and ready to go up and down some steep and rugged country. She got to within a 100 yards for the shot so unless it was a tamed pet that's a pretty good accomplishment. Texas and New Mexico seem to be the main places to hunt those sheep. I remember a story in American Hunter some years ago, that terrain looked awfully rugged. I've hunted Idaho, Colorado, Montana, New Mexico and a few other places so I can say those mountains don't get less steep as the years go by.

I'd love to go down and hunt exotics in Texas someday. Driven through Texas just out of my long ago teenager years, some really nice looking country.

Game farms make my stomach turn, at least, for large game. Unfortunately, in Michigan game farms aren't very large. At least one was shutdown, the animals were held in terrible conditions. If can find the article I will post it. 
I don't trust a for profit entity not to cut corners and there aren't enough resource to effectively monitor these facilities. Seem like this about bragging rights with large game and exotic's game farm hunts.
Just another reason I am not trophy hunter. The venison tastes the same, 10 point or button buck.
If anything the button buck would be better tasting.

Totally agree Blackpaw.

Hunt for meat if you have to / want to, but shooting fenced in animals to hang their heads on the wall is just lame.

And yes, using airrifles for hunting anything of this size can be done, but it's giving people ideas which might not be all that beneficial for airgunners in the long run...

At least she used a 50 cal airgun. There are some using 30 cal airguns on hogs and deer. Sure, a perfect head shot can work, but, a simple mistake and that animal is going to suffer needlessly. Just useless bragging and grand-standing. I don't care if hogs are invasive and destructive, people created that problem. The Russian bores didn't just fly in on there own. Only a humane dispatch is ethical. Also, FX has reviewers pushing their 357 and 30 cals for deer hunting. The FPE values are at 22LR levels, not, ethical IMHO.

What I'm trying to figure out is why hard air magazine and even the Airgun Hunting Legion: https://airgunhuntinglegion.com/trophy/shayna-m-137-6-8 .... Are keeping her partially unidentified: "Shayna M." is all that is given to identify her. Why hide her surname?

Probably doesn't want people she doesn't know ringing her phone in the middle of the night?

What I'm trying to figure out is why hard air magazine and even the Airgun Hunting Legion: https://airgunhuntinglegion.com/trophy/shayna-m-137-6-8 .... Are keeping her partially unidentified: "Shayna M." is all that is given to identify her. Why hide her surname?

Probably doesn't want people she doesn't know ringing her phone in the middle of the night?

She (and/or her unnamed fiance') can afford a .50 Umarex Hammer and the price of the canned hunt; but, she can't afford an unlisted telephone number? 

I suspect the anonymity has something to do w/ her unidentified fiance. Might be interesting to know who he is.

She (and/or her unnamed fiance') can afford a .50 Umarex Hammer and the price of the canned hunt; but, she can't afford an unlisted telephone number? 

I suspect the anonymity has something to do w/ her unidentified fiance. Might be interesting to know who he is.

The whole idea of tracking her down strikes me a bit repulsive. Not my business who she is, who her fiancee is ... and the thread isn't really about her.

These game ranches are a mixed blessing I guess. They provide alternate populations of a species far enough removed from the native population that there is a bit of "insurance" for the survival of that species. On the other hand they would be invasive if they were freed into the local habitat. Morally I have no issue with it. If people want to hunt on a game farm more power to them. As to records and record breaking, maybe the rules need to be revisited? I suppose if the animals were truly wild, not fed by the land owners and/or treated by vets then is would be fair to call one a world record.

I personally am in no position to judge. I hunt over a field of pecans trees from a shooting bench. I suspect there are others who do the same thing or hunt over a bird feeder from their porch.

I hunt over a field of pecans trees from a shooting bench. I suspect there are others who do the same thing or hunt over a bird feeder from their porch.

Back in the day, I lived on a half acre that had 7 humongous paper shell pecan tree's on it. There was a never ending supply of various kinds of wildlife intending to eat or store as many of the pecans they could. Unfortunately for them, I used to sell those pecans and I also liked to eat them too. I literally spent my childhood days during the autumn and winter crawling around on my hands and knees picking up pecans.

And now, yeah, I use a couple of bird feeders ( Old habits die hard, eh?. *Winks*) which attract pests as well as decent, useful birds that I will never, ever shoot..

The whole idea of tracking her down strikes me a bit repulsive. Not my business who she is, who her fiancee is ... and the thread isn't really about her.

'Tracking her down' ? Why would you think that? I'm curious about why her identity (& that of her fiance) is being withheld from the public. Usually when that happens, its a red flag for a cover up of some sort.

Lets keep in mind ... She has a pending WORLD RECORD! That means international recognition. Her name ( & the name of the person who made it all possible) should be in the public domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.