" Game Changer "

The term game changer gets thrown around so often that frankly gets a bit annoing.

What do you think the real game changers where/are ?

I'll take a stab at this :

the first Daystate electronic guns ?...they sure could qualify as game changers but really did not create a run into make similar gun in the industry so really the game was not changed, right ?

The Impact ?....They sure came out with something different and looking at today's line ups there is a ton of companies following both the looks and features, so in my opinion the Impact was indeed a game changer,....in my opinion.

Huben ?....Well they came out with something radically different and even if not many some companies copied the idea a couple did,....then the Pistol came out and that is a legit game changer.

Can't think of any others, what are your picks ?

While I was enamored by Daystate electronic guns and genuinely enthralled by the Huben hammer-less valve, I was less than taken in by the FX Impact.

All of these guns have their pluses and minuses, but I would not call any of them "game changers", at least by my own definition... especially when you consider the price!

A true game changer would bring all of this and more... at a price that people like myself would consider reasonable.

I've said it before and I will say it again, especially when it comes to airguns, there are a LOT of folks who have more dollars than sense.

All my best!

Kerry

While I was enamored by Daystate electronic guns and genuinely enthralled by the Huben hammer-less valve, I was less than taken in by the FX Impact.

All of these guns have their pluses and minuses, but I would not call any of them "game changers", at least by my own definition... especially when you consider the price!

A true game changer would bring all of this and more... at a price that people like myself would consider reasonable.

I've said it before and I will say it again, especially when it comes to airguns, there are a LOT of folks who have more dollars than sense.

All my best!

Kerry
By definition in reality there's no game changers since a real game changer would force every other company to follow in step behind or be left in the dust.

I agree with Pirate 66. There's been small changes, but modern airguns aren't a huge leap from the Crosman 1322.

When I think of "game changers" I think of people like Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky. Teams literally had to change 1) the types of players they drafted and 2) the style of game they would play. The NHL had to change the rules of the game so that Gretzky's team wouldn't be slaughtering the rest of the NHL too predictably. Teams and the league had to make all these changes just to keep the league competitive.

So if we had a "game changer" airgun, most of the other companies would either go bankrupt or would be cloning the dominant company.

We're in a period of prolonged incremental improvements, not big changes.

The term game changer gets thrown around so often that frankly gets a bit annoing.

What do you think the real game changers where/are ?

I'll take a stab at this :

the first Daystate electronic guns ?...they sure could qualify as game changers but really did not create a run into make similar gun in the industry so really the game was not changed, right ?

The Impact ?....They sure came out with something different and looking at today's line ups there is a ton of companies following both the looks and features, so in my opinion the Impact was indeed a game changer,....in my opinion.

Huben ?....Well they came out with something radically different and even if not many some companies copied the idea a couple did,....then the Pistol came out and that is a legit game changer.

Can't think of any others, what are your picks ?
I see the FX Impact and the Huben GK1 pistol

I also think what Skout is doing is ahead of Daystate but I feel the looks of the rifle are not that appealing.

For new potential hot rifle that is maybe more of a hot 2024 or mild game changer would be the RTI Mora when it comes out in a couple of months?

I think the next game changer would be something like the Mora but semi-auto that is reliable like the Huben

Reactions: Redtick12
I might receive some criticism for this, but AEA has revolutionized the air gun industry in numerous indirect ways, as well as through their own product line. I believe they have compelled other companies to enhance their offerings in one way or another. What were the most effective hunting air guns in .22 , .30 and the big 9 calibers before AEA? That's my view.

First penned in the 1980's, "game changer" meant more along the line of a disruptor or catalyst, it has morphed slightly into use as a term for innovative and transformational.

My view is similar to Candice Osmond, "Anything that vastly changes the state of something."

Meaning a permanent or mostly permanent change and not always a good change.

Chinese made, high quality PCP airguns exemplify the term game-changer more than other single item in the past couple of decades.

Yes, the chi-com bashers will wax poetically about the evils of Chinese made airguns while standing on thier ivory towers in presumptuous arrogance while clutching thier iPhone in the greatest irony of the 2020's but I still see this as the single most impactful change I have seen in airgunning.

I do not think there any "Game Changers " . Nice improvement's yes . I think an improvement would be a ratcheting Break barrel for easier cocking . possibly two power levels first a full stroke (like now) then an additional 1/2 stroke for full power.

EDIT: but why would they do that when they can sell two guns right ?

The Game Changer in the Hunting PCP World was the Theoben Rapid!!
This was the first Bottle fed PCP..
It was Accurate, Powerful, and a large shot count!!!
dr-bob1.jpg

if youre facing a real pest problem, a pcp in particular will be a game changer ... if those pests are at night, a night vision scope will be a game changer .. those are the big ones .. i would imagine if you actually compete then a high end airgun would be a game changer, but just generally, no .. the only game you changed with spending a ton of money for no reason is your bragging rights game lol, but nothing wrong with nice stuff either .. but we're talking game changing right lol

Reactions: WoodWelder
First penned in the 1980's, "game changer" meant more along the line of a disruptor or catalyst, it has morphed slightly into use as a term for innovative and transformational.

My view is similar to Candice Osmond, "Anything that vastly changes the state of something."

Meaning a permanent or mostly permanent change and not always a good change.

Chinese made, high quality PCP airguns exemplify the term game-changer more than other single item in the past couple of decades.

Yes, the chi-com bashers will wax poetically about the evils of Chinese made airguns while standing on thier ivory towers in presumptuous arrogance while clutching thier iPhone in the greatest irony of the 2020's but I still see this as the single most impactful change I have seen in airgunning.
Gotta say, ........if not for the guns they sure changed the game with affordable good quality fill equipment

Reactions: 357cal
By definition in reality there's no game changers since a real game changer would force every other company to follow in step behind or be left in the dust.
Along that line, I offer the PCP with external tuning adjustments and interchangeable barrels. The nod goes to FX there.

Going back some years, the Theoben Rapid was a game-changer. As was the FWB 124. And the FWB 300S.

ETA: How dare I forget: the Mac-1 USFT and it's cousin the Thomas. In competition circles they are changing what is possible.

David

Last edited:
Ben Taylor of Theoben fame is responsible for a LOT of improvements along the way with the gas ram, bottle air reservoir, and especially the simple magazine that so many have copied.

I feel the carbon fiber bottles that allow very high pressure air use have been a HUGE jump and have allowed a host of other features to be developed.

Shin Sung or maybe just Korean airgun industry also was responsible for a LOT of what we consider common now... HIGH power, mag fed airguns that were ACCURATE. Keep in mind, my 22 Career 707 made 80 ft lb on (fully adjustable at any time) the High setting with rapid follow up shots. The 707 was just one of many models in the early to mid 90s. There are a LOT of people who give credit to FX for a bunch of ideas that are truly NOT original and these are just a couple. The Koreans even offered 9mm and 45 cal airguns in the late 90s and they were reasonably accurate with the ammo available.
Bob