• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Game Birds of the Eastern Sierra (Bishop, CA)

Looking for resources on game birds in the Inyo National Forest and greater Eastern Sierra area. Mountain Quail, Sooty/Blue Grouse, Dove, and Ptarmigan. I know the general hunting info from the CA.gov websites but Im looking for more detailed information such as species/sex identifiers, calls, seasonal habitats, altitudes, behaviors, etc. Youtube and Google arent giving me many hits. If anyone can recommend a good book or other resource I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

>>but Im looking for more detailed information such as species/sex identifiers

You just need to identify the bird species..no gender requirements except for turkey and pheasant

Mtn Quail..a generic quail call..."chaquita chaquita"..works. Calls for doves..not so much. Everything else..IDK.

Doves..find a water source

Quails..sage brush..hike and call.. Mtn Quail, find a food source like a manzanita or scrub oak(acorns)

Go to fish and wildlife website, there are seasons and many state wide regulation and then look at area specific hunting regulation on top of that. No one will do your homework if you don’t do your homework then don’t hunt or it could get really expensive.

Yep, like I said, I’ve done my homework on the seasons/zones/regulations. Just looking for info on the specific game species in a specific area. 

>>but Im looking for more detailed information such as species/sex identifiers

You just need to identify the bird species..no gender requirements except for turkey and pheasant

Mtn Quail..a generic quail call..."chaquita chaquita"..works. Calls for doves..not so much. Everything else..IDK.

Doves..find a water source

Quails..sage brush..hike and call.. Mtn Quail, find a food source like a manzanita or scrub oak(acorns)

Ok cool thank you. Seems like Ptarmigans like snow banks/rocks need a water source. Sounds like this would be at or above tree line, sound about right? 

51Y+rsernoL._SX295_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Ok cool thank you. Seems like Ptarmigans like snow banks/rocks need a water source. Sounds like this would be at or above tree line, sound about right?

There are a number of canyons heading west into the Sierras near Bishop. You might try google earth for scouting as opposed to lots of hiking.

There’s also the Owens River Gorge and the White Mountains east of Bishop.

Don’t know much about the specifics you requested, but have found decent dove and quail hunting around Bishop. Work the areas around the agricultural fields and the canyons south of town. Have not hunted quail with my airguns, but based on past experience it can be done with a lot of legwork.

R

doves are under federal migratory bird regulation and can only be shot with shotguns with steel shots. Quails have a very short season, actually dove is even worse!