• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gambo swarm magnum

I highly recommend the Gamo swarm maxim instead if you want a repeater. Magnum springers are very difficult to use with decent accuracy. It is possible but there's alot of learning required about how to hold the rifle. It has a really hard recoil and it's difficult to cock. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad rifle but it's not a great first air rifle and a lower power one will just be easier and more accurate for you. 

i have three of the gen2 swarms. 

gamoswarmgen2_177magnum2022a.1646776248.jpg

GamoSwarmMagnumG2_001.1646776356.jpg

squirrelseason_gamobonehunter_wood22_july2021a.1646776380.jpg

they're fine for what they are, and i'm a gamo fanboy, but there are better guns you can spend $300 on.

I could go down a list of what I think are better for the money, but eh, it's a personal choice. I love my gamos, but if I had 300 bucks and buying a new break-barrel, that wouldn't be high on my top 10 choices.

The x10 multi-shot IS a good thing. A pocket full of magazines and you're set for the day. No fumbling with a single-pellet loading system while tromping around in the woods.

Meanwhile, I went shopping for you. :)
Break-barrel, .22s only. Aimed toward neophytes. (lol, not literally!) I'd avoid magnums until you get used to the motion of breaking.

Oh, no idea if you're #backyardplinking or some small-game hunting/pesting? Let's say ya want the option for both.

Available today, as if I was gonna check out with it. Under $300.

Okay, I'm back. Here's what I picked, of several choices, from several sites. But this one seemed a good over-all starting point. Entirely IMO, others will certainly offer theirs.

HW30S.1646780749.PNG

(or the "HW50 S" if ya gotta have more kill power. but it's longer, heaver, and probably harder to cock.)

And have enough left over to cover shipping, maybe put some bucks toward that scope you want.

I've not owned one, so might be some bias. I have a Diana 34 classic, and would probably keep it over trying the HW.
diana34may2021a.1646780863.jpg

#pdxfrank

What do you want to do with whatever gun eventually end up with in .22 and yes, that's the biggest starting question.

As a starter rifle, I'd never, ever say a Hatsan 135. Cannon, weighs 9.9 pounds unscoped so over 11 pounds with one. 50 pound cocking effort so if you want a workout, it will give you one. Hard recoil and enough of one you might well break that Airmax scope unless you put a specialty scope mount on it. Steep learning curve to learn how t shoot it and shoot it well.

The HW50 I can't honest say anything other than what I've read for spec's and the huge praise actual owners heap on it. I do own HW rifles, just not that one. Hw are better made rifles with better triggers. I also own some Hatsan rifles so I've had plenty of experience to compare them and the Rekord wins hands down.

So again, what exactly do you want to do with this first air rifle since knowing what you want one for will go a long way towards good recommendations from fellow members.

Made in Germany vs made in China

Says someone typing from his Chinese made phone or keyboard. ;) Although wrong on it's origin, not everything from China is inherently "bad".

I don't know what Gamo you've been using, but every one I've owned is stamped "Made in Spain"
gamofromspain.1646810310.jpg

And I own an Audi, so not everything made in Germany is lasting quality! lol (wish i never saw the thing)
audifromhellA6quattro4.2_2007.1646810396.jpg

I had the Gamo Swarm Magnum and I will say it was pretty accurate and the hardest shooting break barrel I have ever owned.

aren't they tho'! 30FP at the muzzle can shake a tooth loose if not held correctly.

after a while, i found that placing my face forward of the hump, more vertical, less cheek pressure, but more shoulder push into the butt.

swarmnoRRRnoscope003.1646808930.JPG

I later added a little padding to make that easier on my purdy face. ;)

f

pdxFrank. Sorry for my poor assumption. Also a fact that everything made anywhere is either all good or all bad. Just my China attitude coming out. I remember El Gamo being a Spanish company but didn’t connect El Gamo to Gamo.

stitchin1. I also have a couple Hatsan 135. .22 and .25. Bought them many years ago when they first came out. Great airguns. I really enjoy shooting them. A lot for the money. The Quattro trigger is actually a 4 lever “ hence Quattro” like the Rekord trigger on the Weihrauch. Not quite as adjustable but close. “with a modification”. Hatsan has taken a few steps back in their QC in the past few years. Parts are hard to get. They won’t even get back to you. I’ve been wanting to remove a Vortex gas piston in one of my 135’s and return to a spring. I just want to compare the two. They will not return any correspondence.

steveP-52 is exactly right. What do you want this one for? An occasional varmint shot then the 135 is perfect. Just fun plinking around then the HW50 is. Part of a decision as to what company to go with should always be the availability of parts. Weihrauch has been in business for over 100 years for a reason.

If you favor a Walnut stock over synthetic (as I do) and enjoy working on your guns then maybe the Hatsan 95. I have several and like them all. They really do require a person to be willing to tinker on them. Out of the box it is a crap shoot. Here is the Hatsan 95QE and 135QE. Both Vortex. I’ve been through them both and they are hard hitting good shooters.

36453CC5-B3A2-4C13-9EB1-3A33C53A01B7.1646842109.jpeg

If you do go with the Hatsan 135; (as “steveP-52” said about the weight issue), I went to a dot to keep the weight under my scoped HW97. Have this same dot on both the .25 and .22 135’s. Cheap dot from eBay $35 and holds up just fine. Very accurate. Total weight 135 & dot, 9lb, 14oz. HW97 scoped, 10lb, 6oz. The 135 in .22 caliber shoots the Crosman Premier HP’s at 1000fps. I really like the 135’s. On my favorite short list!

F9610107-E29C-4E22-980E-A31C49826698.1646836454.jpeg
48240CC2-59F3-4085-BF98-D057EF975B2C.1646836454.jpeg
D0BEF406-006F-4DD8-AA2E-4A2F392D588A.1646836454.jpeg
5DB9EADC-582B-4530-A41F-7E220C9895D9.1646836454.jpeg

Another option as long as you mentioned the Hatsan 135. Hatsan 95QE .22 caliber. Hawke 4x32AO scope, BKL offset mount. Total weight, 8lb, 6oz. I much prefer the 135 with the dot for a 1.5 pound difference. The cocking effort between the two is incredibly different though. This 95 was a total rebuild. Stock refinish, trigger tune, and piston polish. It’s the most recent Hatsan I have gotten (2 years ago) and the quality is not what my earlier Hatsan’s are. ie, metal polishing/bluing and stock sanding/finish.

72B8DBB9-3860-4138-B9DD-B6DFBE65430A.1646840145.jpeg
B01BBD94-5E52-43AE-AD27-EBF00CFB9531.1646840145.jpeg
49BB506E-1009-455C-A1BE-673327933A96.1646840146.jpeg
C55B383C-91E3-47BC-B0F7-D2C037CB899B.1646840146.jpeg

It would be nice to have a all around. But mainly want it to take squirrels out.

Ok so squirrels and some plinking aka target practice. Rough guess on the distances you want to be able to shoot at them? While I get that Bear loves his Hatsan 135, I'll say again, that beast of a rifle IS NOT one I'd recommend to someone wanting their very first spring or gas rammed rifle for shooting targets and squirrels. The 135 is a rifle you buy AFTER getting some experience behind the trigger of a springer or it's one that might well discourage you from even wanting to try shooting one ever again...lol.

I have the Hatsan Model 95 he mentioned, first gas rammed rifle I bought getting back into shooting and I still have it almost 7 years later. It's actually a pretty nice rifle for pesting or targets. While I don't have the HW50s that's been mentioned, I do have it's bigger brother the HW95 and in .22. Way better Rekord trigger, bit heavier but silly accurate when I do my part and that's another one of the big things: doing your part while shooting whatever you pick, since any rifle you decide on is only going to be as accurate as you can shoot it and that takes regular practice.

Your budget also needs to include more than just what you want to spend for a rifle. You mentioned an Airmax scope and unless you already have one, they aren't cheap unless you can find one on sale somewhere. I have 8, know what they sell for and they don't come with rings or a 1 piece mount so something to budget for. Pellets are another big one since, while members here can help you pick a few that will shoot well, you'll need to buy at least 4-5 tins of different pellets to test to se which ones the rifle likes best.

Sooooo...the HW50s mentioned as a nice all around rifle: HW50s from Krale, $256.71, they also have the Hawke Airmax 3-9x40, $200.88, set of rings or a 1 piece mount, $20 to $30 depending what you buy. Add some pellets to get started and you're somewhere around $583 to start. Not trying to burst your bubble, just give you a ballpark idea of what getting yourself set up is going to cost you and why I said in an earlier post, knowing your budget will go a long way to members suggesting a rifle that will work for what you want.

It would be nice to have a all around. But mainly want it to take squirrels out.

Ok so squirrels and some plinking aka target practice. Rough guess on the distances you want to be able to shoot at them? While I get that Bear loves his Hatsan 135, I'll say again, that beast of a rifle IS NOT one I'd recommend to someone wanting their very first spring or gas rammed rifle for shooting targets and squirrels. The 135 is a rifle you buy AFTER getting some experience behind the trigger of a springer or it's one that might well discourage you from even wanting to try shooting one ever again...lol.

I have the Hatsan Model 95 he mentioned, first gas rammed rifle I bought getting back into shooting and I still have it almost 7 years later. It's actually a pretty nice rifle for pesting or targets. While I don't have the HW50s that's been mentioned, I do have it's bigger brother the HW95 and in .22. Way better Rekord trigger, bit heavier but silly accurate when I do my part and that's another one of the big things: doing your part while shooting whatever you pick, since any rifle you decide on is only going to be as accurate as you can shoot it and that takes regular practice.

Your budget also needs to include more than just what you want to spend for a rifle. You mentioned an Airmax scope and unless you already have one, they aren't cheap unless you can find one on sale somewhere. I have 8, know what they sell for and they don't come with rings or a 1 piece mount so something to budget for. Pellets are another big one since, while members here can help you pick a few that will shoot well, you'll need to buy at least 4-5 tins of different pellets to test to se which ones the rifle likes best.

Sooooo...the HW50s mentioned as a nice all around rifle: HW50s from Krale, $256.71, they also have the Hawke Airmax 3-9x40, $200.88, set of rings or a 1 piece mount, $20 to $30 depending what you buy. Add some pellets to get started and you're somewhere around $583 to start. Not trying to burst your bubble, just give you a ballpark idea of what getting yourself set up is going to cost you and why I said in an earlier post, knowing your budget will go a long way to members suggesting a rifle that will work for what you want.

Could not agree more with Mr Steve. Will add my number one favorite airgun on my short list is the HW95. It would be my top recommendation. Just a suggestion: Slow down your thinking. Get the right gun first. Enjoy it as is with the factory sights. Run the break in this way. Build it in time to what you want. Just a suggestion.

What ever you choose, make sure repair/ replacement parts are availiable !! Nothing worse than getting a cheaper rifle only to find you cant get it repaired you might consider a used quality built rifle that has availiable parts than a new rifle within budget that just sits because you cant get it fixed. Over my many years of airguns, I have saw more than a few people get turned away from airguns by getting cheap guns that dont perform well !! However those that did go all in with better quality rifles stayed in the hobby with much better results. Your money, your call !!! Good luck