Gaines Blackwell

Airgun friends, I was saddened to learn that our friend Gaines Blackwell passed away on December 29. You older gents will remember him well as a frequent, helpful, and always delightful contributor on earlier forums.

One of the most outgoing and friendly humans I've ever met, Gaines's true love was architecture: he was professor of architectural history at Auburn University for many years, and a brilliant designer. After retirement he designed some of the most distinctive custom homes in the US. He was widely loved by his students, who among many other honors established a scholarship fund in his name at Auburn.

Gaines was smart, funny, and a true Renaissance man who could converse on any subject. His involvement in airguns was actually fairly brief, but he characteristically used that time to acquire an amazing collection of vintage match rifles, a fantastic knowledge base, and of course a wide network of friends.

This is perhaps his most famous photo, which he called - tongue firmly in cheek - "Tyros falling from the trees!" (Actually painstakingly staged with the guns carefully braced and padded.)

Last edited:
My absolute best-shooting air rifle is an HW 55 CM, with an action that Gaines literally gave me...like, for free. Several of my other HW 55's were once in his collection too.

Gaines had health issues in later years, and worried about his family having to deal with his collection, so he did what a lot of us SHOULD do: sold almost all of them. In spite of owning all those Tyros (and not being a very big fellow) his real-life answer to those "which one would you keep" threads was the elegant Walther LGV Junior match rifle from the 70's.

4B185DDB-FA89-4995-8C58-3F6EEA4889A1.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember Gaines used to stage some of his photos with old shooting medals and other neat accoutrements that he acquired during his search for the classic 10m match rifles. He did mention that he enjoyed receiving those items almost as much as finding a beautiful Tyrolean stocked air rifle. I began my own search for those items after seeing and reading so many of his posts. I’ve assembled a nice little collection of shooting pins thanks to Gaines sharing his collection with us on the old vintage site. Here are a few of my favorites. RIP

01980F63-8420-4994-9ABC-E0D4DB720F54.jpeg
0E58D4F4-41A6-467E-A11D-45F27FF0A6E3.jpeg
F159CC31-86FE-4A46-97D1-52E613F6B346.jpeg
5463F5BB-CA78-4AB7-989B-A588298CEFF4.jpeg
2B429272-6BF4-458A-84A1-DAFE0A554944.jpeg
F7048871-3762-474B-B3C7-950BC15378F1.jpeg
65BED9F6-38C8-4626-9181-D28179490F60.jpeg

Matt, the medal collection is amazing - I count 62 in total! You must have worked hard finding all those...most interesting, beautifully displayed, and thanks so much for posting the shots. Gaines would have gotten a major kick out of that!
Thanks Mike. I have quite a few duplicates. Oftentimes I have to purchase a collection in order to get one pin that I don’t have.

Airgun friends, I was saddened to learn that our friend Gaines Blackwell passed away on December 29. You older gents will remember him well as a frequent, helpful, and always delightful contributor on earlier forums.

One of the most outgoing and friendly humans I've ever met, Gaines's true love was architecture: he was professor of architectural history at Auburn University for many years, and a brilliant designer. After retirement he designed some of the most distinctive custom homes in the US. He was widely loved by his students, who among many other honors established a scholarship fund in his name at Auburn.

Gaines was smart, funny, and a true Renaissance man who could converse on any subject. His involvement in airguns was actually fairly brief, but he characteristically used that time to acquire an amazing collection of vintage match rifles, a fantastic knowledge base, and of course a wide network of friends.

This is perhaps his most famous photo, which he called - tongue firmly in cheek - "Tyros falling from the trees!" (Actually painstakingly staged with the guns carefully braced and padded.)

Wow,
Sorry to see onother oldtime airgunner has passed! I enjoyed a few Forum and email discussions witrh him back in the day, and desperately tried to wrangllea DST Hw55 from him once.

I miss Gains, and the camaraderie so many of us shared at the Vintage Airgun Forum, and in the halls of the Airgun Shows we sometimes met at.

Mike, I’m glad you posted this, memories of us only linger so long as someone tells of us.

Sincerely,
LD