• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fyi video on shot placement raccoons and skunks

I don't touch anything I shoot anymore. I use a long stick, slide or roll it onto a snow shovel, and fling it down a steep hill. In addition to rabies, we've had 2 cases of Bubonic plague in CO, so my same protocol applies to squirrels and prairie dogs. When I'm done with the shovel/stick I leave them outside for a week or so before bringing it back into my garage.

fling it down a steep hill. In addition to rabies, we've had 2 cases of Bubonic plague in CO, so my same protocol applies to squirrels and prairie dogs. When I'm done with the shovel/stick I leave them outside for a week or so before bringing it back into my garage.

We just got a coon/rodent(and others) rabies warning here in sFL last week. I hear ya on the diseased pests, I'm the same way as you, don't want to touch them. I also use a shovel and double bag them then dispose of them in the trash like one of FWC recommendations for disposal. Good call on the shovel, rabies can live for over a week on a surface... I've got a bucket full of lime I stick my shovel in to disinfect it, then rinse it off.

Very strict laws on pesting here, the carcass must be disposed of properly or big fines/prosecution are possible if caught. And its easy to get caught leaving the evidence right there stinking and rotting for anyone in the area to see/smell. FWC here has instructions/requirements on there site how to properly dispose of pest animals.

imo there is good reason for this. Those dead rotting, maybe diseased with rabies/bubonic/mange/etc, are very likely to spread whatever disease it has to other populations when scavengers eat it, sniff it, bite it, etc. Plus jmo, its just bad hunting/pesting etiquette to leave dead rotting carcass around.

OP, Good vid and info on shot placement, thanks...

Once again awakened in the middle of the night gagging. I'm downwind from a highway that is being used to transport wind turbines by the thousands. They run at night mostly and it seems like they get a skunk or two almost every night. Driving around the roads around here is about dodging dead and living stinkers.

What ever it takes to keep them from raising their tails. If they cannot raise them they cannot spray. I have a skunk trap made from 6 inch PVC pipe and I let them stick their head out and pop them in the noggin, no spray, they can't raise their tails. Last week I trapped one in a 10 foot piece of 4 inch PVC pipe after I watched it walk in there. I plugged both ends. Later after the sun came up I carried the pipe / skunk out away from home where I didn't care if it sprayed. When I opened the pipe on both ends and waited it refused to come out. I even tried holding it vertical and slamming it on the ground. Would not budge. So I took a .22 PCP and fired 5 shots from one end and 5 from the other, since I did not want to look in and see which way he faced. It poured out the end now dead and no smell.