• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

FYI for ALL AAFTA Field Target clubs and what the SVFTC will be enforcing.

Gentlemen & Ladies,

It has been brought to my attention from an internet forum conversation, THAT the governing "Board of Directors at the AAFTA ( BOG ) had a Rule Change last fall that became a RULE for 2022 and the foreseeable future pertaining to the use of SLUGS in the game of Field Target.

From the revised AAFTA 2022 rule book page 5

Ammunition
Pellets that are completely made of lead, lead alloy, zinc, zinc alloy, or similar all-metal material may

be used. Airgun slugs may not be used.

As the one who is responsible for the clubs target maintenance, replacement etc .... let me tell you all, that pellets beat the snot out of our beloved field targets we shoot at every month

and we're going to purchase some badly needed replacements in the near future.

Slugs due to there more solid body shape simply DO NOT splatter as Pellets generally do making them ( Slugs ) even more damaging to the clubs targets. Face plate denting as well excessive strike paddle damages.

* I know this conversation was happening the last couple years and due to AAFTA not addressing a firm ruling we let slugs use slide allowing all of you too play with slugs if wanting too.

THIS OFFICIALLY STARTS for the SVFTC as of the JUNE 2022 & for all future SVFTC Field target matches & will be enforced as deemed fair by the acting Club Match Director of any said SVFTC event.

NO SLUGS ALLOWED of any caliber are to be used in ANY AAFTA Field Target Club or GP event competitions from this point forward.

Thank you and please respect this notification.

Scott Schneider

SVFTC Match Director

Scott,

I did not find anywhere in the rules that defines what a pellet is and what a slug is. It seems to me that a clear definition of both should be included in the 'Match Terminology' section of the rule book to avoid that inevitable question. Or it could be as simple as adding two words to the sentence on page 5...

"Diabolo shaped pellets that are completely made of lead, lead alloy, zinc, zinc alloy, or similar all–metal material may be used."

I understand that the Match Director will decide if the question comes up at at match, but simply putting the definition in the rule book would more than likely avoid having the question ever come up.

Just my thoughts on the subject, not trying to be critical of AAFTA or any of the un-paid volunteers that spend countless hours of personal time trying to better our sport.

Chip

I agree ... Tho said, at sub 20FPE and caliber used in the FT game, in that world of pellets there ALL Diablo waist designs.

Tho I do get the verbiage vagueness. It says AIRGUN slugs which opens up Rimfire Slugs ? ... for sure but .17 slugs are jacked and .22 RF slugs too heavy.

It does really self regulate itself and honestly a non issue as it could or would be applied.

JMO ...

Scott S

I'm just saying that AAFTA is not defining what 'features' make a projectile a pellet and what 'features' make a projectile a slug. I know some guys are swaging their own 'slugs' with their own dies. What is to keep them from calling their 'slug shaped' projectile a pellet if AAFTA does not clearly define what feature or features differentiate a pellet from a slug? This is the Merriam-Webster Dictionary definition of a pellet;

pellet

noun

pel·​let | \ ˈpe-lət \

Definition of pellet

(Entry 1 of 2)

1aa usually small rounded, spherical, or cylindrical body (as of food or medicine)

ba wad of indigestible material (as of bones and fur) regurgitated by a bird of prey

2any of various projectiles fired from a weapon (such as an air rifle)

Well that kind of leaves the door wide open... "any of various projectiles". I just think specific wording would be smart and not leave the door open for those folks that seem to always push rules to the limit and beyond. It won't make a hill of beans at my local club matches.

Chip

Scott,

It’s good to hear some feedback on the target wear and tear. I remember the vibrant discussions a while back, and how that point was made that there “shouldn’t” be additional damage based on the theory of fpe is fpe. 
I would love to see any pics if you have any.
By the sound of your post it seems the damage must have been significant. If that’s the case, I’m glad we enforced the ruling when it came out.

FWIW I do like the definition… 

ba wad of indigestible material (as of bones and fur) regurgitated by a bird of prey

Long live ‘Bone and fur pellets only’!

Garrett

Garrett,

The past years target maintenance is just as it sounds ... past history and no pictures were ever taken.

Now so those reading this can have some idea of why it is that a more solid "Slug" creates mores damages than a pellet let give some basic comparisons so one may understand the effect.

Lets take something simple as a water balloon ( which is an EXTREME representation ) 2 balloons, one filled with say room temp water, One frozen after filling.

If both contain equal volume, there weight, specific gravity remains pretty much the same. * Granted water expands a tad frozen, but here a non issue.

Dropped from the same height there speed attained at a given distance would also be equal.

What is the crux of the situation is comes down to How said projectiles mass ( yes a water balloon or an Air gun projectile ) decelerates upon contacting a firm non yielding surface ????

* The Room temp water balloon upon impact will immediately deflect a lot of it's energy radially with water splattering everywhere being very much as a Air Gun pellet does striking a hard surface the lead liquefies going in all directions.

* The Frozen water balloon upon impact with the same surface retains more forward motion until such time as its more solid core yields having remaining energy disperse radially.

Thus the Frozen balloon as a Slug does remains going forward longer before coming apart dispersing with what energy is left radially and is going to do more damage to the contacted surface.

Or lets say hit with a rubber ball, hit with a rock .... add your own analogy and you can see the point being made

I hope it makes sense ...

Scott S

Your analogy is flawed. You can't compare the same materials properties in different states. Lead at 10g move no differently between shapes as a material. 

The proper agrument is point of concentration of energy. In a round nose 10g pellet deformation occurs at a faster rate than with a pointed slug. This dissipates energy quicker imparting less damage to the target. A pointed 10g slug will concentrate the energy in a smaller area before excess deformation. More energy will be expended in a smaller area becasue of this causing more damage.

I don't disagree with you Scott. The explanation needs to be reasonable is all.

Your analogy is flawed. You can't compare the same materials properties in different states. Lead at 10g move no differently between shapes as a material. 

The proper agrument is point of concentration of energy. In a round nose 10g pellet deformation occurs at a faster rate than with a pointed slug. This dissipates energy quicker imparting less damage to the target. A pointed 10g slug will concentrate the energy in a smaller area before excess deformation. More energy will be expended in a smaller area becasue of this causing more damage.

I don't disagree with you Scott. The explanation needs to be reasonable is all.

Agree .. as stated an EXTREME representation. tho flawed as noted.

I've got everything needed to do an ACTUAL comparison. (nearly new rat on the run targets and pellets and .177 slugs and guns that'll shoot them at just under 20fpe)

My next day off from work I'll take some shots at completely virgin areas of the faceplate (from....say 30 yards?) on the rat on the runs with 19ish fpe slugs and 19ish fpe pellets, take some photos, and share them here on AGN. 

I was one arguing that 20fpe is 20fpe and lead is lead.

Although I could see harder lead (like the old crosman pellets) eroding holes into faceplates and paddles faster than soft lead like JSB, but the NSA slugs I've played with, while slightly harder than JSB, are much closer in hardness to JSB than than they are to Crosman lead. 

(edit: it won't change the ruling and I'm not trying to and I've got no interest in shooting slugs at a match b/c as already argued, they aren't more accurate than pellets. But it'll at least be interesting and maybe help settle the debate that a 20fpe slug somehow does more damage to a field target than a 20fpe pellet, one way or the other). 

A pointed 10g slug will concentrate the energy in a smaller area before excess deformation. More energy will be expended in a smaller area becasue of this causing more damage.

So pointed pellets can't be used either?

Yes I know pointed pellets aren't as accurate as domed and nobody in their right mind would try to shoot them in a ft match....just following through with your logic. 

A pointed 10g slug will concentrate the energy in a smaller area before excess deformation. More energy will be expended in a smaller area becasue of this causing more damage.

So pointed pellets can't be used either?

Yes I know pointed pellets aren't as accurate as domed and nobody in their right mind would try to shoot them in a ft match....just following through with your logic.

Perhaps.