• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FYI cost

This seem to be the hot ticket for Br at the moment. Keep in mind expensive equipment alone will not get you there. It's the nut behine the trigger that count.

Screenshot_20240520_113027_Samsung Internet.jpg

Although you can buy performance, only so much. That said, the top BR shooters, meaning the top 20%, all use the best of the best everything. That means top-of-the-line Daystates, Brococks, FXs, Epochs, and (now) Karma rifles, the most expensive optics, and all manner of shooting aids, accessories, gadgets and gizmos. Suffice to say Bench-Rest competition is a very equipment-'centric' competition. $$$

It wasent that many years ago a guy walked up on a turnement and outshot them all with a stock gun ( RTI prophet as i recall )

I am not competitive shooter myself, but i feel if you are a good shooter and have a OK gun, you can still give those high rollers a run for their money.
So i would just get a good rifle and get under way with the hobby.

Mind you when i say OK gun, that's probably still up there around that price tag on the Red Panda, 1500 - 2000 USD for sure.

Also i dont think you need that expensive badda bing scope to be able to shoot 50 yards benchrest, you should be able to do that just as fine with something priced a lot lower.

Same i feel about bipods, CUZ i have never tried one of those extremely costly Accutec ones, i actually use a airsoft one myself

Reactions: Scotty1
unit of choice 2-5 grand, then add in what ever you are going to use for air supply so another $400- $7000. unless you already have that side covered. Back in the early 90's you could get going unit wise for under grand, and air supply started cheaper than todays prices. I don't know if my Walther kkm or my Annie 2025 ( aquired both for less ran a grand apiece would be competive any more ( both are 177 at 20 ftlbs) both were/are capable of cleaning the br target at 25 meters indoors or out. I actually managed to do that a couple times. The Thomas units seem to be the hot ticket right now with a good track record. Equipment has progressed considerably since those days along with the pricing. Another thing to think about is pellet or slug ( more of traditional bullet shape vs a wasp waist-ed pellet). Still a lot of innovation going on. back in those days 2500 psi was about max now we have units getting very close to 4000 psi or slightly more. But limiting factor is still breaking sound barrier and the disruption it causes to projectile flight when slowing back below that velocity- same problem we have with 22 rimfire benchrest so about 900 to 1000 fps at muzzel is about the max. Fun part is sound barrier changes with atmospheric density, and that changes with temperature as well as elevation. I have never shot off bipods for BR. Joystick front rest and a bag at the back . Whats allowed at a match depends on what rules are being followed. Strict BR, bipods are not allowed as far as I know. When I was still shooting ,one piece rests were not allowed either.

Last edited:
I think it depends on what distance benchrest you want to shoot. There is a youtube channel I watch sometimes called "AirAbility". The host is a champion at 25 yard benchrest in England. I do not even know if that is a thing in the US, if that is where you are. He has specific gun and scope recommendations that are not terribly expensive. He uses a pretty expensive (to me) joystick type front rest, however, and his competition guns are certainly not inexpensive. I think a lot of his input is applicable regardless of distance you want to shoot.

The only benchrest shooting I currently do is the informal "30 yard challenge" recorded here. I have one PCP that cost over $1000 and 5 that cost less than $500. My only 200 at this so far is with one of the less expensive guns using a less than $200 scope. So about $650 for the gun and scope. My best score was with my P35-22 and I also have that gun in 177 and 25 caliber. My best with the 177 is a 197 and the 25's best is a 194. Not terrible and nothing I am ashamed of but not competitive with those using more expensive guns and scopes. The scoring spreadsheet has the gun, scope and pellet used. My most expensive gun's best so far is a 197. I think the expensive gun, an Air Maks Caiman, can do a 200 if I get out of the way a little more. Maybe the 177 can but I do not think it is in the 25s future. It's still what I would call and accurate gun and has killed the most squirrels for me.

If you are thinking of the 100 yard competition at one of the airgun tournaments then I think others have already advised what the winners and top finishers are using. I've never done it but the competitors talk a lot about the impact of reading the wind has on scores. Even at 30 yards wind certainly has an effect. I tend not to shoot serious targets at the 30 yard challenge under windy conditions, especially with my 177. Even mild wind can easily blow a 177 pellet from the 10 ring to the 8 ring at 30 yards. The 100 yard guys are using the ballistically superior 25 or 30 caliber pellets but at 100 yards I'm sure they can move even more. My inexpensive guns will not drive heavy for caliber pellets up close to 900 fps. I thus do not think they would be competitive at 100 yard benchrest. The Caiman has the power but I have not tested a heavy pellet it likes. It likes 18 grain (it's a 22). Even if it liked the JSB 25 grain (it does not) a 22 is not very competitive.

Pellets are gun specific. Lots of people use JSBs and if you look at who wins the JSBs are certainly over represented. But H&N pellets are also very good and show up on the leader boards. You pretty much have to test them to see what your gun prefers. Heavier pellets tend to have a better bc for less wind drift.

What is the minimum cost of getting completive in Air Rifle target shooting. Let's look at BR first, what rifle, scope, rests, pellets will get you in the top 20%?
Like JimD mentioned, what type of BR are you going to do? 25, 50yard, extreme 100? slug/pellet?
Have you tried BR enough to know that you want to dive into this rabbit hole?
Have you tried it with your current gear?.
i would suggest you see how far you can get with your current gear. I feel this will be the best indicator to what gear you made need in the future
So many choices on cheap gear, but is it going to be helpful? The tolerences for most of the cheap products are usually poor. So looking at it in a "low ball, get by with the minimum" is a bad way to look for equipment.
I truely doubt that any of this 20% got there by going bargain hunting

The top shooters are sponsored by manufacturers. They want new product out there, so its why they generally shoot a new rifle.

It happens in golf also. The only time I remember a pro not going to new stuff was when Tiger signed with Nike but still played his Mizuno until Nike could make something he would play.

I have no doubt you could buy a used FX Boss and practice your tail off and do well. If you're a shooter andlearn the rifle and how it does in different conditions, you won't have a problem. Doesn't have to be a Boss, fill in a lot of rifles.

Thanks, I started this post just to point out the expense of getting into completive shooting. Trigger time is what separates the best, but you need quality equipment too. Just look at the cost of a joystick front rest and most ordinary shooters don't even know what one is. A lot to matches don't tell what the winner are using, I am going to look up AirAbility.

I have 3 joystick front rests a original SEB , Shadetree engineering top, and a Farley. The Shadetree was my first but it lacked enough horz. range at 25 meters to cover the width of the Air BR target at that time(90's) Got the Farley next (used) worked fine, then the SEB ( again used) which was more to my liking. At my range we had two divisions, traditional BR & rules and then a Barnyard which was basically run what you got & not have to compete against high-end units. There are considerably more choices out now. Bottom line is vertical range and Horz range and weather the unit will hold position hands off with the rifle sitting on it. feel of the unit is users own preception. These rests are not inexpensive, although the shadetree at the time was very reasonable comparatively speaking vs wallet.

Some good replies here. Especially the one about it coming down to the nut behind the trigger! I read a post a few months ago about a girl winning the 100 yard competition with an Avenger.

Her name is Anna Rose, and she does well shooting whatever she sits behind.
She has shot cards in the top 3 per relay several times at Cincinnatti.

What is the minimum cost of getting completive in Air Rifle target shooting. Let's look at BR first, what rifle, scope, rests, pellets will get you in the top 20%?

$5k

Do you have the chopps to do your part? If the pellet hits the same place every trigger pull, you can compete with that gun.

The difference is durability, tuneability, repairability and repeatability over time.

My PB bench rig cost me $5k ten years ago, then another $10k to develop rounds for the barrels. I'll bet it's closer to $25k nowadays.